Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 00:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 21
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 10:37
ak2012 wrote:
finmaster wrote:

Well, here's the deal - I'm stuck.

I've written the Essay 1 and I've prepared the material and story for the 'Knowledge for action' essay. I'm going to illustrate a professional success here.

Now I have to choose between 'pick one wharton course/activity' and '3 work-free hours' essays and I'm simply clueless.

Here are my questions:

1. Apropos the 'pick one wharton course/activity' essay - It's 500 words! Even if I zeroed in on one particular activity or club that I'd be interested in, there's still way too less info available on internet about it. How am I gonna fill the space?

2. Apropos the '3 work-free hours' essay - I'd honestly use those 3 hours for networking, are you sure I can't show that?

Regards


finmaster, regarding the course/activity essay, while it is true that it doesn't take too much space to specify one particular activity or course, you also have to talk about why it matters to you. Talking about the course and explaining the reason(s) for selecting that course should easily get you to 500 words.


agreed. 500 words is nothing. i wrote about an extracurricular i was involved in. one paragraph about your involvement. one paragraph about what you would do. one paragraph with some tie-in to wharton. BOOM. finished.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 08:03
I did not find any requirement about the essay's format on Wharton's website. I want to check with you whether there is any requirement, such as the font, the space?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 97
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 12:19
Guys,

I am in a dilemma here. I am a re-applicant and so I obviously need to use the optional essay to address the re-applicant specific requirements. That can be done in 250 words. It is not a lot but can make it work.The problem is that I also need to discuss an extenuating circumstance as well.
Trying to fit all this in one essay of 250 words is turning out to be a nightmare. I had an email conversation with Victor Lee, the most knowledgeable and most helpful guy on Wharton's S2S forum, and he suggested that going upto 350 words might be OK in this case.

Does anyone have any views on how to deal with this issue ? I was wondering if any of you faced a similar problem and have anything from adcoms on this issue. I did send an email to adcom as well and haven't received a response yet.

Thanks !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 347
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 01:55
cognizant2001 wrote:
Guys,

I am in a dilemma here. I am a re-applicant and so I obviously need to use the optional essay to address the re-applicant specific requirements. That can be done in 250 words. It is not a lot but can make it work.The problem is that I also need to discuss an extenuating circumstance as well.
Trying to fit all this in one essay of 250 words is turning out to be a nightmare. I had an email conversation with Victor Lee, the most knowledgeable and most helpful guy on Wharton's S2S forum, and he suggested that going upto 350 words might be OK in this case.

Does anyone have any views on how to deal with this issue ? I was wondering if any of you faced a similar problem and have anything from adcoms on this issue. I did send an email to adcom as well and haven't received a response yet.

Thanks !


I'm in the exact same situation as you. I don't get why Wharton is not allowing re-applicants to submit both the normal re-applicant essay and the optional one. I understand that they want to cut down on the number of essays they have to read, but they're not giving us a lot of breathing room here. I think victor is right that going up to around 300 should be ok. Not sure about 350; that's really pushing it. Have you e-mailed the admissions office about this?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Wharton Class of 2014
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 23
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.89
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 02:18
Shawshank wrote:
cognizant2001 wrote:
Guys,

I am in a dilemma here. I am a re-applicant and so I obviously need to use the optional essay to address the re-applicant specific requirements. That can be done in 250 words. It is not a lot but can make it work.The problem is that I also need to discuss an extenuating circumstance as well.
Trying to fit all this in one essay of 250 words is turning out to be a nightmare. I had an email conversation with Victor Lee, the most knowledgeable and most helpful guy on Wharton's S2S forum, and he suggested that going upto 350 words might be OK in this case.

Does anyone have any views on how to deal with this issue ? I was wondering if any of you faced a similar problem and have anything from adcoms on this issue. I did send an email to adcom as well and haven't received a response yet.

Thanks !


I'm in the exact same situation as you. I don't get why Wharton is not allowing re-applicants to submit both the normal re-applicant essay and the optional one. I understand that they want to cut down on the number of essays they have to read, but they're not giving us a lot of breathing room here. I think victor is right that going up to around 300 should be ok. Not sure about 350; that's really pushing it. Have you e-mailed the admissions office about this?


The word counts are definitely flexible and are primarily intended to prevent people from endlessly opining on topics. I used the opt essay to explain an extenuating circumstance and was able to spin it into a strength, but doing so meant that I used extra words.

The best advice I can offer is - if you feel that abiding by the word count will absolutely prevent you from being able to explain something that will otherwise prevent you from moving forward, then it is better to use extra words and give yourself a shot.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 97
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 02:26
Shawshank wrote:
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I don't get why Wharton is not allowing re-applicants to submit both the normal re-applicant essay and the optional one. I understand that they want to cut down on the number of essays they have to read, but they're not giving us a lot of breathing room here. I think victor is right that going up to around 300 should be ok. Not sure about 350; that's really pushing it. Have you e-mailed the admissions office about this?


Yeah, I don't understand the logic behind asking to put everything in 250 words. Reapp AND extenuating circumstance = very few students :-D
I know Wharton has a larger number of re-applicants than most of the other schools but I don't assume every re-applicant has an extenuating circumstance to discuss :)

I did email the adcom, but, haven't heard anything back from them. I sent my email a day or two before Christmas, so its possible that the office is closed now and will re-open tomorrow. Not sure if they will be able to get back to me before the deadline. Anyways, if I hear anything from them, I will let you know.

Best Wishes,
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 97
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 02:28
jcswinterpark wrote:
The word counts are definitely flexible and are primarily intended to prevent people from endlessly opining on topics. I used the opt essay to explain an extenuating circumstance and was able to spin it into a strength, but doing so meant that I used extra words.

The best advice I can offer is - if you feel that abiding by the word count will absolutely prevent you from being able to explain something that will otherwise prevent you from moving forward, then it is better to use extra words and give yourself a shot.


I agree 100 % with you.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Wharton Class of 2014
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 23
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.89
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 02:29
ak2012 wrote:
finmaster wrote:

Well, here's the deal - I'm stuck.

I've written the Essay 1 and I've prepared the material and story for the 'Knowledge for action' essay. I'm going to illustrate a professional success here.

Now I have to choose between 'pick one wharton course/activity' and '3 work-free hours' essays and I'm simply clueless.

Here are my questions:

1. Apropos the 'pick one wharton course/activity' essay - It's 500 words! Even if I zeroed in on one particular activity or club that I'd be interested in, there's still way too less info available on internet about it. How am I gonna fill the space?

2. Apropos the '3 work-free hours' essay - I'd honestly use those 3 hours for networking, are you sure I can't show that?

Regards


finmaster, regarding the course/activity essay, while it is true that it doesn't take too much space to specify one particular activity or course, you also have to talk about why it matters to you. Talking about the course and explaining the reason(s) for selecting that course should easily get you to 500 words.


In my humble opinion, I would write an essay about an extracurricular activity. Wharton has a bunch of clubs, all of which can be viewed at WGAWORLD.COM. Choosing to write about an extra curricular give you the opportunity to discuss a passion, a sport that you played, a way that you like to interact with others etc. This avenue is so flexible if you use it appropriately and it will give you an incredible platform to wow the reader. For instance, if you competed in crew, you could talk about joining the rowing club at Wharton because you spent X years rowing and learned how to work with, motivate, and lead others to victory etc.

If you write about networking you will sound like a plain vanilla person who is only interested in getting to know people for professional gain... that won't go over well and will probably push you in the direction of a likely rejection.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 347
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 04:17
cognizant2001 wrote:
Shawshank wrote:
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I don't get why Wharton is not allowing re-applicants to submit both the normal re-applicant essay and the optional one. I understand that they want to cut down on the number of essays they have to read, but they're not giving us a lot of breathing room here. I think victor is right that going up to around 300 should be ok. Not sure about 350; that's really pushing it. Have you e-mailed the admissions office about this?


Yeah, I don't understand the logic behind asking to put everything in 250 words. Reapp AND extenuating circumstance = very few students :-D
I know Wharton has a larger number of re-applicants than most of the other schools but I don't assume every re-applicant has an extenuating circumstance to discuss :)

I did email the adcom, but, haven't heard anything back from them. I sent my email a day or two before Christmas, so its possible that the office is closed now and will re-open tomorrow. Not sure if they will be able to get back to me before the deadline. Anyways, if I hear anything from them, I will let you know.

Best Wishes,


If you applied within the past 2 years, adcom can simply dig up your previous app to look at the optional essay. So if the extenuating circumstance was discussed in the last app, then perhaps it's redundant to bring it up again.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 97
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 05:29
Shawshank wrote:
If you applied within the past 2 years, adcom can simply dig up your previous app to look at the optional essay. So if the extenuating circumstance was discussed in the last app, then perhaps it's redundant to bring it up again.


The problem is that I didn't discuss it last time.
Even if I had discussed it last time, I think that needs to be repeated here. Its entirely upto adcom to decide what parts of your previous year's application they would look at. The new application has to stand on its own merit. Sometimes they just look at the comments last year's reviewer left on your application. That being said, if the extenuating circumstance is something that might raise an eyebrow, we will be better off explaining it and not leaving it on luck :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 108
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 14:56
Submitted! Any idea what the turnaround is on interview invites for R2 applicants?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Wharton Class of 2014
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 23
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.89
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 15:01
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
Submitted! Any idea what the turnaround is on interview invites for R2 applicants?


Last year I submitted 1/4 and was invited in mid Feb - approx 6-weeks.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 97
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 21:57
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
Submitted! Any idea what the turnaround is on interview invites for R2 applicants?


Unless the process has changed, I would say that you can get an invite anytime in February or even first week of March. I submitted my app on 1/4 last year and received an invite in third week of February. I went for an on-campus interview and talking to other prospective students, learnt that some of them had received invites in the first week of March.

Hope that helps !
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 22:55
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
Submitted! Any idea what the turnaround is on interview invites for R2 applicants?

Did you get a confirmation email that detailed the interview process? Wharton usually sends one saying the window in which interview invites will be sent. Also check Ankur's blog. She tends to mention it there right around the deadline.

Last year I applied 1/4 and was invited on 2/16. Last year I received an email with the subject: Round 2 Information the day after I applied (it may come the day after you apply or the day after the app deadline...I don't know since I applied on the application deadline). The email let me know the different application stages (received, complete, etc.) and the interview invite window. Last year's window was from Thursday 1/26 - Tuesday 2/28. I don't know what it will be this year, just wanted to give you an idea of how it worked in the past.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2012
Posts: 8
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 02:00
i have a quick question and any help will be appreciated. The PDF copy of my application cuts off some of my wordings. is the PDF exactly what adcom sees?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 03:34
Hey Guys,

Did you get a notification email from Wharton after you submitted? I did not get one.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 108
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 04:20
cheetarah1980 wrote:
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
Submitted! Any idea what the turnaround is on interview invites for R2 applicants?

Did you get a confirmation email that detailed the interview process? Wharton usually sends one saying the window in which interview invites will be sent. Also check Ankur's blog. She tends to mention it there right around the deadline.

Last year I applied 1/4 and was invited on 2/16. Last year I received an email with the subject: Round 2 Information the day after I applied (it may come the day after you apply or the day after the app deadline...I don't know since I applied on the application deadline). The email let me know the different application stages (received, complete, etc.) and the interview invite window. Last year's window was from Thursday 1/26 - Tuesday 2/28. I don't know what it will be this year, just wanted to give you an idea of how it worked in the past.

Nope, no email confirmation (yet).

Given the above replies, any idea how it works if another school admits you earlier? I ask because Wharton is my top choice and I don't want to be forced to put myself in a "bird in the hand vs bird in the tree" situation when/if admitted by other schools. For example, (assuming I get in) I will hear back from INSEAD on my R2 app on March 1, and given the CBS turnaround time, its very possible I get an admit by mid Feb to early March. Do schools usually provide sufficient time to make a yes/no decision?
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 12:32
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
Submitted! Any idea what the turnaround is on interview invites for R2 applicants?

Did you get a confirmation email that detailed the interview process? Wharton usually sends one saying the window in which interview invites will be sent. Also check Ankur's blog. She tends to mention it there right around the deadline.

Last year I applied 1/4 and was invited on 2/16. Last year I received an email with the subject: Round 2 Information the day after I applied (it may come the day after you apply or the day after the app deadline...I don't know since I applied on the application deadline). The email let me know the different application stages (received, complete, etc.) and the interview invite window. Last year's window was from Thursday 1/26 - Tuesday 2/28. I don't know what it will be this year, just wanted to give you an idea of how it worked in the past.

Nope, no email confirmation (yet).

Given the above replies, any idea how it works if another school admits you earlier? I ask because Wharton is my top choice and I don't want to be forced to put myself in a "bird in the hand vs bird in the tree" situation when/if admitted by other schools. For example, (assuming I get in) I will hear back from INSEAD on my R2 app on March 1, and given the CBS turnaround time, its very possible I get an admit by mid Feb to early March. Do schools usually provide sufficient time to make a yes/no decision?


It all depends on the school's timeline for making a deposit. Last year I split my applications between R1 and R2. In R1 I was admitted to Kellogg on 12/13 and had until 3/6 to make the deposit. For R2 I was admitted to Booth and Wharton and each school's timeline was about 5 weeks from the decision day. As you can see the R1 timeline tends to be longer than R2. I don't know what the turnaround time is for INSEAD or CBS, but I would guess it's at least 30 days. Last year I had to pay my Kellogg deposit prior to finding out if I got into Booth or Wharton.

You can maybe ask for an extension on making the deposit if the deposit date is really close to the decision day (within 1 week). You're likely not going to get an early decision from Wharton and I wouldn't ask for one. You're not the only person in this situation so you can't expect them to make an exception for you that they won't make for everyone else. The first thing to figure out is when INSEAD's R2 deposit is due and the timeline for CBS (might be on the website). Then you can see if this is even something you need to worry about. Just be prepared to have to make a deposit that you might later forfeit. In the overall cost of the MBA letting a few thousand dollars go is a drop in the bucket.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 12:33
Submitted!! My first application this season. !!! Now a long wait till feb.

All the best to fellow R2 applicants. :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Posts: 58
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 14:14
lapras wrote:
Submitted!! My first application this season. !!! Now a long wait till feb.

All the best to fellow R2 applicants. :)


Guys, quick question: What did you put in the general information section as an end date for activities, which you are still pursuing? Or did you leave it empty.

Many thanks
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2013, 14:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
460 Experts publish their posts in the topic Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1614 25 Apr 2012, 00:55
Experts publish their posts in the topic Wharton Exec 2013 - Calling all applicants souvik101990 0 15 Feb 2013, 09:00
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic Wharton 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants aerien 126 01 Jan 2013, 18:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  43   44   45   46   47   48   49  ...  81    Next  [ 1615 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.