Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 06:55
I have begun working on the essays and am not sure I am directly answer the questions:

1. What do you aspire to achieve, personally and professionally, through the Wharton MBA?
Regarding the "achieve professionally" portion, should the bulk of the text be on career goals upon graduation, or should it be focused on how Wharton will get you there. I guess I am not sure what the focus of the essay should be on:
1) what I want to do upon graduation and flesh that out in detail using the majority of my word count on this (Do we discuss long term career goals as well?)
2) Or do we say I want to be a sell-side equity research analyst at Deutsche Bank focusing on the technology sector and X, Y, and Z are necessary attributes to being successful in this endeavor and this is how the Wharton MBA will prepare me, and then list out specific qualities of Wharton. (In this example, the majority of the text focusing on what the Wharton MBA offers that will aid in our pursuit of our professional goals)

2. Academic engagement is an important element of the Wharton MBA experience. How do you see yourself contributing to our learning community? (500 words)
Narrowing in on the words "academic engagement" and "contributing", do we discuss specific ways we can contribute to the academic element of Wharton such as classroom work, assisting a professor in research, participating in school run programs? I guess I am not sure if taking on roles in student run organizations (ie. professional clubs) or participating in the global learning program qualify as "contributing to the learning community" under the umbrella of academic engagement.

Hmm I am not sure I am being clear in my above questions. Any thoughts? Much appreciated

(I did read StacyBlackman piece posted here and found it helpful, but wasn't clear on the above)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 22

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 07:24
Physics wrote:
I have begun working on the essays and am not sure I am directly answer the questions:

1. What do you aspire to achieve, personally and professionally, through the Wharton MBA?
Regarding the "achieve professionally" portion, should the bulk of the text be on career goals upon graduation, or should it be focused on how Wharton will get you there. I guess I am not sure what the focus of the essay should be on:
1) what I want to do upon graduation and flesh that out in detail using the majority of my word count on this (Do we discuss long term career goals as well?)
2) Or do we say I want to be a sell-side equity research analyst at Deutsche Bank focusing on the technology sector and X, Y, and Z are necessary attributes to being successful in this endeavor and this is how the Wharton MBA will prepare me, and then list out specific qualities of Wharton. (In this example, the majority of the text focusing on what the Wharton MBA offers that will aid in our pursuit of our professional goals)

2. Academic engagement is an important element of the Wharton MBA experience. How do you see yourself contributing to our learning community? (500 words)
Narrowing in on the words "academic engagement" and "contributing", do we discuss specific ways we can contribute to the academic element of Wharton such as classroom work, assisting a professor in research, participating in school run programs? I guess I am not sure if taking on roles in student run organizations (ie. professional clubs) or participating in the global learning program qualify as "contributing to the learning community" under the umbrella of academic engagement.

Hmm I am not sure I am being clear in my above questions. Any thoughts? Much appreciated

(I did read StacyBlackman piece posted here and found it helpful, but wasn't clear on the above)

Hey Physics -

At risk of getting slammed again as we did in the Harvard thread yesterday :-) here's some help:

First: There's no one way to do it, and we don't want to sound like we're prescribing a formula. But there's definitely some easier ways to frame it out, and you're thinking about things the right way.

1) Go more with your option 2. Wharton definitely wants to see a good discussion of literally what your goals are, with a focus on the short-term (immediate post-MBA) goal first and foremost. A mention and brief explanation of long-term goal can also be good, but be careful about going too long term since that can often make the goals seem unattainable or unbelievable. Keep things very practical and feasible, given your actual background. Then, talk about both what you bring to the table - a quick mention of what you have done that shows you're ready - not just as summary of your resume but some specific experience or achievement that shows you're qualified. And the remainder on "why Wharton" with the angles that you described. The details you had on analyst at DB are awesome, definitely keep that.

It's tough to fit all of that into such a tight space but it's important to cover all of those aspects.

2) EVERYTHING that you mentioned is fair game in answering this question. There's even some other areas that could be explored as well. Participating in a club may not feel "academic" but it's all part of the Wharton educational experience, so it qualifies. Don't neglect the first interpretation you've offered though; sometimes people talk only about the clubs etc. and they forget the classroom bit.

You've got more in this one question than we sometimes see in people's first drafts, so you're headed in the right direction, for sure. To some extent, we can tell you not to overthink it - go with your instincts. As we said above, there's not just one right answer. You're analyzing things really well - go with it and see how it starts to shape up for you.

Hope that helps!
EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 13:10
This is probably asked and answered somewhere, but "number of years working" do we round to the nearest year or just the number of full years completed? Thanks
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 4
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 11:42
essaysnark wrote:
At risk of getting slammed again as we did in the Harvard thread yesterday :-) here's some help:
EssaySnark

Don't worry, my intent was not to slam you :) just provide an alternate thought process for folks to consider. Your response to this question is really good and tailored based on the individual's background. Good discussion helps GMATClub, which I believe is one of the best tool during the app process :)
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 03:59
Starting to wrap up my essays for Wharton..man this was a difficult set. How is everyone else doing?

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 620 Q V0
GMAT 2: 640 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 11:50
hamm0 wrote:
Starting to wrap up my essays for Wharton..man this was a difficult set. How is everyone else doing?

Same here...done couple of iterations to it. As straightforward as they seemed, they were indeed difficult to sum-up in 1000 words...Have started working on the application, that seems to have a couple of short prompts as well...
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 13:03
hamm0 wrote:

I actually didn't find the Wharton set too bad at all. At least compared to Harvard's non-essay! I'm at the same stage, just refining it so that it is in submittable shape. It does feel pretty quiet in the Wharton thread considering it is one month till the application is due for R1. Should be interesting to see whether Wharton sees another decline in apps this year.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 02:23
domotron wrote:
hamm0 wrote:

I actually didn't find the Wharton set too bad at all. At least compared to Harvard's non-essay! I'm at the same stage, just refining it so that it is in submittable shape. It does feel pretty quiet in the Wharton thread considering it is one month till the application is due for R1. Should be interesting to see whether Wharton sees another decline in apps this year.

If my couple of years here has taught me anything it is that 'never judge the app volumes by the thread posts' :)
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 02:30
jumsumtak wrote:
domotron wrote:
hamm0 wrote:

If my couple of years here has taught me anything it is that 'never judge the app volumes by the thread posts' :)

Also, real activity will probably start on all the Calling All Applicants threads after the respective deadlines...

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 14:16
MacFauz wrote:
Also, real activity will probably start on all the Calling All Applicants threads after the respective deadlines...

Definitely true. However I am intrigued by Wharton's drop in applicants last year
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-17/bucking-a-trend-wharton-mba-applications-plunge

It's just the bucking of the general trend and I am not sure what Wharton has changed recently that has caused the drop. Maybe it is just a blip.

GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 22

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 14:27
If you want to really gasp at the numbers, Wharton has seen apps drop every year for four years even when other schools are reporting increases:

Class of 2012: 6,832 -9% from Class of 2011's all-time high of 7,493 apps
Class of 2013: 6,442 -6%
Class of 2014: 6,408 -1%
Class of 2015: 6,036 -6%

Still, 6,000 apps is a lot of apps.

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 09:03
Not going to be ready for R1... going for R2:)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 10:10
Hi guys,

Anyone over here who attended the Wharton Admissions event in Mumbai on the 3rd September ?

Thanks.

It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you kudos does rev the engines :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker

Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.63

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 11:51
Hi everyone,

I'm a reapplicant. From the application I believe that I can only answer the additional question for reapplicants, not the additional question for reapplicants + the optional essay.

Is my read of the application correct?

Thanks for any help!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 19:58
Anyone know what the recommender questions are for this fall?
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 03:47
WhattheFuqua wrote:
Anyone know what the recommender questions are for this fall?

LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION QUESTIONS

1. Describe your relationship with the applicant; what kind of role does s/he play within your team/organization? How does his/her performance compare to that of peers? (500 words)

2. Continual development is an important part of the Wharton MBA experience. What is an area of growth that you would recommend this candidate focus on during his/her two years at Wharton? (500 words)

3. As we are evaluating this candidate for a place in the class, what’s the most important thing we should know about him/her? (500 words)

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 07:59
Quick question: one of my Wharton recommenders asked me in what format to upload her recommendation (.doc or .pdf). My guess is pdf is the cleanest version as that way we are certain about how it looks. Do you agree?

(As to not clutter multiple threads. The answer is probably the same for all schools right?)
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 09:46
Physics wrote:
Quick question: one of my Wharton recommenders asked me in what format to upload her recommendation (.doc or .pdf). My guess is pdf is the cleanest version as that way we are certain about how it looks. Do you agree?

(As to not clutter multiple threads. The answer is probably the same for all schools right?)

I don't think it makes any difference. Assuming it's the same system as uploading your resume, it actually converts your .doc file into a pdf anyhow. The only thing that might happen is if you used page breaks and the alignment gets skewed. But you can check that before you submit since you can preview what the upload looks like.

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE: Asset Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 23

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 19:08
For essay 2, what percentage of our essay should focus on explaining our background / experience versus explaining what we aim to do to contribute to the learning community? Obviously both will likely be important.. But just wanted to see what everyone else's doing.

Would starting a non-academic club constitute "academic engagement"?
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 162 [1] , given: 101

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
Submitted my R1 app today. 2 down!

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016!   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2013, 13:46