Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 08:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 12:54
Anyone interviewing in SFO on 19th?
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [5] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 19:36
This post received
KUDOS
Interviewed on campus earlier today. It went well. Group interview starts off with 1 of the 2 administration fellows in the room reading out the prompt then you and your team and left completely to your own devices with only 2 timing warnings from the adcom. Can't really give much advice since its completely dependent on the type of team you end up with. We had 5 consultants and 1 marketing person and the conversation was quite smooth with everyone getting equal say and we were able to reach a consensus by times end. 1 of the consultants is applying for the HCM program and mentioned that he is awaiting news from the dual program still.

1 on 1 is very short. About 3-5 minutes discussing the group interview with the remaining 5-7 minutes were completely open. FYI the group interview is really 35 minutes and the 1 on 1 is more like 10-12 minutes (they employ a stopwatch on their phones). The admissions fellow did not have prior access to the resumes, they will be seeing it for the first time when you are right infront of them so be aware of this.

Also key point, bring copies of your resume to the interview. When you sign in they ask for a copy, this is what they will be giving to your interviewer who will use it for the 1 on 1 and write notes on it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Wharton '16 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 19:56
aalba005 wrote:
Interviewed on campus earlier today. It went well. Group interview starts off with 1 of the 2 administration fellows in the room reading out the prompt then you and your team and left completely to your own devices with only 2 timing warnings from the adcom. Can't really give much advice since its completely dependent on the type of team you end up with. We had 5 consultants and 1 marketing person and the conversation was quite smooth with everyone getting equal say and we were able to reach a consensus by times end. 1 of the consultants is applying for the HCM program and mentioned that he is awaiting news from the dual program still.

1 on 1 is very short. About 3-5 minutes discussing the group interview with the remaining 5-7 minutes were completely open. FYI the group interview is really 35 minutes and the 1 on 1 is more like 10-12 minutes (they employ a stopwatch on their phones). The admissions fellow did not have prior access to the resumes, they will be seeing it for the first time when you are right infront of them so be aware of this.

Also key point, bring copies of your resume to the interview. When you sign in they ask for a copy, this is what they will be giving to your interviewer who will use it for the 1 on 1 and write notes on it.

I interviewed today as well. The only advice I can give is not to overprepare for it - come in with an idea but be flexible. I know consultants offer mock sessions but after having just gone through it that seems like total overkill (unless you have never worked in any kind of team environment). My team was great and got along well. Even walked back to the train station with a couple of them and exchanged #s & business cards.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 14

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 20:05
chromium73 wrote:
aalba005 wrote:

I interviewed today as well. The only advice I can give is not to overprepare for it - come in with an idea but be flexible. I know consultants offer mock sessions but after having just gone through it that seems like total overkill (unless you have never worked in any kind of team environment). My team was great and got along well. Even walked back to the train station with a couple of them and exchanged #s & business cards.

Do we need to bring a copy of our Resume? My interview is tomorrow and I haven't brought anything :(
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 05:59
RSAproud wrote:
chromium73 wrote:
aalba005 wrote:

Do we need to bring a copy of our Resume? My interview is tomorrow and I haven't brought anything :(

You absolutely do. I'm sure you can find a place to print a copy before tomorrow. Good luck!

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe (HBS '13)
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors LLC
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com

Get an immediate assessment of your odds at top MBA programs, try our algorithm for free: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/mba-matching-algorithm/

Get ready for your Wharton interview: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/wharton-interview-invitations-mock-team-based-discussion/

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE: Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 07:10
Has anyone gone through the HCM interview yet?
What is that like and how does it differ from the 1 on 1 portion of the regular Wharton interview?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 07:35
HCM doesnt even come into play until you finish the regular Wharton interview and from my understanding is scheduled a few weeks later. From the admissions fellow I talked to, no student has been denied admissions to the HCM portion of the degree with a Wharton admit.
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 11:16
aalba005 wrote:
HCM doesnt even come into play until you finish the regular Wharton interview and from my understanding is scheduled a few weeks later.

Not quite. They gave me an option to choose my HCM iv date before my TBD. However, there were slots open up until Dec. I believe it's a casual conversation with June. She is very friendly (so I've heard) and just lookin to know what motivates you to pursue HCM. She is also, generally, willing to discuss in depth about the program & on-campus opportunities.

Good luck!

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 14:00
FROM Wharton Admissions Blog: Wharton’s WCAI spotlights 21st century data-driven business challenges
WCAI Student-Alumni networking event at Wharton San Francisco

The Wharton Customer Analytics Initiative (WCAI) is a leading voice on campus for realizing the potential of big data and customer analytics. Whether student career interests lie with tech-startups hoping to reimagine data exchange and mining; consulting firms that help more establish companies transform their strategic decision-making; or even venture capitalists interested in leveraging analytics to identify solid, high-yield investments—WCAI can help.

Corporate Partnerships

WCAI continues to build strong relationships with corporate partners around the world who donate their time and data to help solve long-term business challenges. WCAI works with partners to map their data assets and strategic needs, and then helps match companies to global research teams that can develop new and innovative analytic models. Managing 5-10 Research Opportunities in any given year, WCAI remains the world’s preeminent academic research center focusing on customer analytics.

Student Programs

WCAI leverages its network of forward-thinking companies like StubHub, Expedia, Urban Outfitters, PG&E, and Google to build important connections among students, alumni, and companies who are interested in this new way of doing business. Key WCAI activity includes:

• Offering MBA courses in customer analytics led by WCAI faculty Co-Directors, Eric Bradlow and Peter Fader, and Executive Director, Elea Feit
  • Hosting guest speakers and recruitment visits from top players in the field, including Google, Electronic Arts, Caesar’s Entertainment, Marriott, and tech entrepreneurs & venture capitalists
  • Helping companies define analytics talent management and recruitment in this new and emerging space — and matching them with Wharton students
  • Sponsoring student club conferences and securing key panelists
  • Affording tech-savvy students an opportunity to work on corporate partner projects
  • Organizing student-alumni networking events in Philadelphia, San Francisco, and beyond
Moving Forward

It’s been an exciting year for WCAI and analytics at Wharton. With the completion of over 10 successful Research Opportunities, WCAI is continually expanding the range and depth of its student programs with support from alumni and new corporate partners focused on student development. In addition to expanding its current co-curricular activities, WCAI is rolling out formal programs for students to participate in the Research Opportunity process at all levels of corporate partner engagement (more to come on the MBA pilot program in the Spring ’14 semester!).�

And perhaps most important, there’s a vibrant and growing analytics community here on campus with students driving conference agendas and their own recruitment networks—culminating in the creation this year of a data and analytics sub-group that draws from both the Wharton Marketing and Tech clubs.

Learn more about WCAI at http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/wcai/.

The post Wharton’s WCAI spotlights 21st century data-driven business challenges appeared first on Engage with Us.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 14:14
Interviewed this week as well - does anyone know if decisions are "rolling" or if all decisions are released on the Dec 17 "Release" date? I read on the admissions website that they make an effort to call admitted students - that would seem pretty tough to do all in one day...
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 14:21
smburton15 wrote:
Interviewed this week as well - does anyone know if decisions are "rolling" or if all decisions are released on the Dec 17 "Release" date? I read on the admissions website that they make an effort to call admitted students - that would seem pretty tough to do all in one day...

Decisions are not rolling but I believe last year they started calling admitted students the day before. Primarily international applicants.

*Updated 30th May*: Part 4 Recommendations – Elements of an MBA application series
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 15:41
domotron wrote:
smburton15 wrote:

Decisions are not rolling but I believe last year they started calling admitted students the day before. Primarily international applicants.

Nobody in Sao Paulo to meet up? Ill "hunt" girls bymyself tomorrow haha.

Just to mention, my international friends received the call the official date, not before.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 17:27
Quick question before the interview- were the 1 on 1 questions behavioral or resume-based? That is, were they more, "tell me about a time you failed/led a team/blah blah" or were they typical, "walk me through your resume?" THANKS so much and for already sharing some insights on interview day.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 2

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
dwal44 wrote:
Quick question before the interview- were the 1 on 1 questions behavioral or resume-based? That is, were they more, "tell me about a time you failed/led a team/blah blah" or were they typical, "walk me through your resume?" THANKS so much and for already sharing some insights on interview day.

The questions were just about how the team based discussion went, and how I usually contribute when working in a team. Then I was able to ask my questions.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 08:14
City tours at Sao Paulo are cheaper if more than one people takes it, so please let me know if you are interested! Just to relax before Monday
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q42 V48
GPA: 3.91

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
jumsumtak wrote:
aalba005 wrote:
HCM doesnt even come into play until you finish the regular Wharton interview and from my understanding is scheduled a few weeks later.

Not quite. They gave me an option to choose my HCM iv date before my TBD. However, there were slots open up until Dec. I believe it's a casual conversation with June. She is very friendly (so I've heard) and just lookin to know what motivates you to pursue HCM. She is also, generally, willing to discuss in depth about the program & on-campus opportunities.

Good luck!

I had my HCM interview on campus before my TBD, and it was extremely conversational. It's definitely more about your goals, what motivates you, and why you're interested in healthcare than based off of your resume. No tough behavioral questions (i.e., "tell me about a time when..."), it's just a friendly conversation about why you're passionate about healthcare. I don't even think there was a "Why Wharton HCM" question - I had to weave it into the conversation. June is very friendly and I think just wants to get to know you better. I've heard that she does have some pull in the admissions committee, though, so I wouldn't underestimate it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 04:17
has anyone interviewed in india yet??
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.84
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 18:37
interviewed this afternoon and it went well. For future interviews my recommendation is not to over prepare for your group discussion and be yourself during one on one. Individual questions are much based on the tone of group discussion so it's hard to prepare ahead of time.
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 10:27
AprilJean wrote:
interviewed this afternoon and it went well. For future interviews my recommendation is not to over prepare for your group discussion and be yourself during one on one. Individual questions are much based on the tone of group discussion so it's hard to prepare ahead of time.

After having my interview, I could not agree more. If you over prepare, you will end up being fixated on one idea. It is more important that the team performs well rather than your idea being more awesome and the ideas of the others. The 1on1 portion is pretty short and generally about how the team-based discussion went.

*Updated 30th May*: Part 4 Recommendations – Elements of an MBA application series
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 620 Q V0
GMAT 2: 640 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 10:46
AprilJean wrote:

Absolutely second that...Just spend some time on preparing the one min prompt and rest will have to go as per the team dynamics...Flexibility would be key...
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016!   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2013, 10:46