Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 06:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton Class of 2010 Profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 18:11
Have you guys seen this?

http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/student_life/classprofile/index.cfm

7,328 Total Applicants
1,190 Admitted Applicants
800 Projected Enrollment

64% Male
36% Female

55% US Citizens
5% US Permanent Residents
40% International Students

26% Minority Students and Sub-Groups of US Origin
5% African-American
12% Asian-American
5% Hispanic-American
<1% Native American/Alaskan Native
3% Multi-ethnic

28 Average Age
18-43 Age Range

6 Average Work Experience
2% 0-2 years
20% 2-4 years
38% 5-6 years
22% 7-8 years
18% 9+ years

715 Average GMAT
660-760 GMAT Range (middle 80%)

3.5 Average GPA
3.1-3.9 GPA Range (middle 80%)

629/276/111 Average TOEFL

72 Countries Represented
22% Married Students, Students with Partners
5% Students with Children

* Data accurate as of July 25, 2008.

That's right, we have one kid that is 18 years old. :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 18:40
When they talk GPA are they taking the last 60 hours, GPA in Major, or the entire UG GPA?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 18:53
jallenmorris wrote:
When they talk GPA are they taking the last 60 hours, GPA in Major, or the entire UG GPA?

I would think entire GPA for undergrad.

BTW, these GMAT scores are going up up up rapidly. I'm not sure how much longer it's safe to assume you're OK with a 700. 710 is the norm for top schools and 720 will be by next year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 19:03
sonibubu wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

I would think entire GPA for undergrad.

BTW, these GMAT scores are going up up up rapidly. I'm not sure how much longer it's safe to assume you're OK with a 700. 710 is the norm for top schools and 720 will be by next year.

Ya I wonder when and where it will start to slow down. I sure hope I don't need to retake my 740 if I reapply in 2 years.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 19:11
So much for my 720 being "just above average" :( And to think, I was actually proud of that score! (Which isn't bad for a guy with his head up his a$$)

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 19:37
Before we know it, business school will be as competitive as medical school. :roll:
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 19:41
I can just hear it now "Oh, so you had to settle for Harvard Medical? Well, you can come visit me at HBS some. We can do lunch?"

LOL

J Allen Morris

Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 19:58
Wharton has gone up *and* down 1-3 points per year since 2003. Not much change there.

"George is getting upset!"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 20:16
I was thinking that Wharton's average GMAT last year was like 707 or so, but I just googled it and it seems like it was 712 or so. Does that sound right to everyone else? If so, I guess their jump wasn't quite as big as I thought it was this year.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 20:24
smkrn wrote:
I was thinking that Wharton's average GMAT last year was like 707 or so, but I just googled it and it seems like it was 712 or so. Does that sound right to everyone else? If so, I guess their jump wasn't quite as big as I thought it was this year.

Yes, it was 712 last year. This was far less of a jump than I expected. I was counting on 720+ - but I suppose with a class as large as theirs, they can balance it out.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 06:48
I think everyone is looking into the GMAT averages too much. The middle 80% didn't change and probably hasn't changed for the past couple years. With a class that big, you have to expect the average to fluctuate a little...it's not like Wharton is trying to climb the rankings by increasing their GMAT score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 06:58
The most impressive thing is not the Gmat but the number of international students: 45%! That's HUGE. As mentioned in another topic though, the Asians are outnumbering us heavily though (nothing wrong with that, just a fact of life).

PS: private message BCC145

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 07:22
That's a very easily misinterpreted remark, Audio. Just who is this "us" that the Asians are outnumbering heavily, please?
And is it really true that the majority of 45% of the non-US citizens part of the Class of 2010 are indeed "Asians?"

Audio wrote:
the Asians are outnumbering us heavily though (nothing wrong with that, just a fact of life).
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 08:02
solaris1, I believe Audio is European. It looks like Wharton didn't publish the international breakdown, but take a look at Kellogg's to see what he is referring to:

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... ofile.aspx

This trend is likely similar at all of the top schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 08:22
solaris1 wrote:
That's a very easily misinterpreted remark, Audio. Just who is this "us" that the Asians are outnumbering heavily, please?
And is it really true that the majority of 45% of the non-US citizens part of the Class of 2010 are indeed "Asians?"

Audio wrote:
the Asians are outnumbering us heavily though (nothing wrong with that, just a fact of life).

Sorry, no offense meant, I assumed that people knew that I was European. So by "us" I meant the Europeans. It's something I didn't expect; I thought there would be more Europeans in the bunch. But I guess it's a mere reflection of world demographics.

As for your second question, I reckon the Asians represent 70% of the international population in Wharton, give and take obviously (rough estimate). The way I know it is that when all the international students were in a room, the speaker asked us to raise a hand if we were Asian; there we a LOT of hands in the air :-D Again, nothing wrong, just stating a fact.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 08:26
maverick and audio - thanks. that post makes a lot more sense now, and i apologize i was a little too quick to call audio out on that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 08:30
maverick2011 wrote:
solaris1, I believe Audio is European. It looks like Wharton didn't publish the international breakdown, but take a look at Kellogg's to see what he is referring to:

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... ofile.aspx

This trend is likely similar at all of the top schools.

Thanks for the help maverick :-D

I checked the figures, and indeed there is a trend there I think. The situation in Kellogg is however not exactly the same as in Wharton. In Kellogg, the Europeans are outnumbered by 2 to 1; in Wharton I reckon that this goes up to easily 5 or 6 to 1.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 08:33
I didn't look up any numbers, but I think Wharton, along with Stanford, have always led the way in terms of average GMAT score. I think that schools like these (and Harvard), reach a point where they get so many applications from people with high GMAT scores that there really isn't as much of a point in trying to distinguish between applicant that way. I think the trend that really illustrates how the GMAT has become a bigger part of admissions of the past 5 years is how the elite schools have really closed the gap in average GMAT. Not long ago, people could feel comfortable that a 700 would be viewed positively at most schools, but with many elites passing by 700 onto 710 average GMAT scores, 700 must be viewed as just adequate now and won't really be of any help to most people.

To me, the most surprising statistics on this Wharton page are the age range and average work experience. 18% of the people had 9+ years of experience; that's really a whole lot. And they admitted people as old as 43 and let in some fool who's only 18 - is that through some joint program with their undergrad or something?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 08:34
solaris1 wrote:
maverick and audio - thanks. that post makes a lot more sense now, and i apologize i was a little too quick to call audio out on that.

No problemo! After re-reading my post, I agree that it could be confusing, so apologies for that.

Anyway, we're back to being a big happy family :-D

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 08:38
pelihu wrote:
I didn't look up any numbers, but I think Wharton, along with Stanford, have always led the way in terms of average GMAT score. I think that schools like these (and Harvard), reach a point where they get so many applications from people with high GMAT scores that there really isn't as much of a point in trying to distinguish between applicant that way. I think the trend that really illustrates how the GMAT has become a bigger part of admissions of the past 5 years is how the elite schools have really closed the gap in average GMAT. Not long ago, people could feel comfortable that a 700 would be viewed positively at most schools, but with many elites passing by 700 onto 710 average GMAT scores, 700 must be viewed as just adequate now and won't really be of any help to most people.

To me, the most surprising statistics on this Wharton page are the age range and average work experience. 18% of the people had 9+ years of experience; that's really a whole lot. And they admitted people as old as 43 and let in some fool who's only 18 - is that through some joint program with their undergrad or something?

The 18 year-old kid just finished his studies in computer sciences. Dunno where he did it though.

I think it's good that you have "older" people in the mix, that's one of the things I love about Wharton - but we've had this debate before.

Re: Wharton Class of 2010 Profile   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2008, 08:38