Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2011, 00:16
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with any inputs on Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA. Have you considered both programs and if you decide on one of them, what draws you there? Thanks!

Here are some of the facts that I have considered, but I would appreciate if there are current students or alumni who can help to shed more lights and details of the program. Thanks so much!

Wharton EMBA
- more expensive
- better brand name
- more focused on finance/quantitative?
- less resources availability since the program is not at the U Penn campus, but at its own location in downtown SF ( i meant career services, speaker series program, etc)
- schedule is 2-3 days every 2 weeks

Berkeley-Columbia EMBA
- less expensive
- brand name is not as well known as Wharton
- better program on entrepreneurship/innovation?
- better resources since the program is at Haas campus (career services, speaker series program, etc)
so far my impression from my application process is that the Berkeley Columbia EMBA program is better run than the Wharton EMBA program... the class visit is better organized, the package and information shows that too
- schedule is 3-4 days every 3 weeks with about one block in NYC every term (more traveling)
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 15:14
I am pondering same thing as I just found out I was accepted to both programs for 2011.

Wharton is #1 EMBA program and has great reputation, but Berkeley/Columbia is not too shabby as well, both in top 5-1- in the country.
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 20:23
hi odessit19, congratulations on your admittance!
i'm on the same boat. i have been accepted in both programs too. currently leaning to wharton because of the schedule works a little better for me. how about you? would you mind sharing some of your thoughts?
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 20:58
doMz wrote:
hi odessit19, congratulations on your admittance!
i'm on the same boat. i have been accepted in both programs too. currently leaning to wharton because of the schedule works a little better for me. how about you? would you mind sharing some of your thoughts?

Not sure, I like the BCEMBA and two degrees and the fact that they lean more towards management and entrepreneurship, but Wharton has the rep and the name. I hate that I have to choose :lol:
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 06:24
Hey Guys,

Congratulations on your acceptance to the Wharton West EMBA program. I've applied to the Philadelphia program and unfortunately I have to wait another two weeks for a decision (and yes, it's pretty much killing me). ;-)

A couple of quick questions for your both.

1. When did Wharton release the west coast campus decisions? I know they were supposed to be released no later than tomorrow, but it sounds like they may have provided their decisions a few days early.

2. How did Wharton notify you of your acceptance?

You're guidance would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Erich

Last edited by icbib on 25 Mar 2011, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 06:40
icbib wrote:
Hey Guys,

Congratulations on your acceptance to the Wharton West EMBA program. I've applied to the Philadelphia program and unfortunately I have to wait another two weeks for a decision (and yes, it's pretty much killing me). ;-)

1. When did Wharton release the west coast campus decisions? I know they were supposed to be released no later than tomorrow, but it sounds like they may have provided their decisions a few days early.

Best Regards,
Erich Butters

Eric,

I found out yesterday :). I actually received a UPS email saying that there will be a packet tomorrow. So I called the admissions and said, "hey, i can't wait, tell me now." Not in those words, but pretty much.

Wharton West is supposed to have released info by today.
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 08:55
odessit19 wrote:
icbib wrote:
Hey Guys,

Best Regards,
Erich

Eric,

I found out yesterday :). I actually received a UPS email saying that there will be a packet tomorrow. So I called the admissions and said, "hey, i can't wait, tell me now." Not in those words, but pretty much.

odessit19,

Thanks for the quick response. This was very helpful. Congratulations again, acceptance to Wharton is quite an achievement.

Best Regards,
Erich
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 09:09
icbib wrote:
odessit19 wrote:
icbib wrote:
Hey Guys,

Best Regards,
Erich

Eric,

odessit19,

Thanks for the quick response. This was very helpful. Congratulations again, acceptance to Wharton is quite an achievement.

Best Regards,
Erich

Sorry that I mispelled your name Erich and thank you! Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 09:37
Erich,

1. The official notice is supposed to be coming today (Mar 25) as mentioned.
2. I actually requested for an early decision because I received decision from BCEMBA pretty early. BCEMBA has a rolling admission and they notified me pretty early. I also need to decide soon since I'll be travelling out of the country. So they gave me a call to let me know of the early decision last week. And I get the same UPS notification as what odessit19 described yesterday.
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 09:42
doMz wrote:
Erich,

1. The official notice is supposed to be coming today (Mar 25) as mentioned.
2. I actually requested for an early decision because I received decision from BCEMBA pretty early. BCEMBA has a rolling admission and they notified me pretty early. I also need to decide soon since I'll be travelling out of the country. So they gave me a call to let me know of the early decision last week. And I get the same UPS notification as what odessit19 described yesterday.

Thanks doMz. This was very helpful. Congratulations on your acceptance. Any thoughts on where you may go?

Best Regards,
Erich
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 18:51
the schedule for wharton works better for me, so i am leaning to wharton currently. but still gathering more info on both
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 14:04
Hi odessit19, have you received the UPS package? I still have not received it and when I check the tracking page, it says that the shipping label has been created but UPS hasn't even received the package. Wondering if there's an issue with my package or they just haven't sent it out yet for everyone?
thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 16:19
doMz wrote:
Hi odessit19, have you received the UPS package? I still have not received it and when I check the tracking page, it says that the shipping label has been created but UPS hasn't even received the package. Wondering if there's an issue with my package or they just haven't sent it out yet for everyone?
thanks!

Hi, I got it last Friday as it was promised. It has a hat, notepad, some candies, business cards with your name and some other stuff. I have talked to another person who is at Wharton now and who got in to BCEMBA and he highly recommends Wharton. So does my CEO, so most likely I will choose Wharton. Although I really like Berkeley (my undergrad was there) and the campus atmosphere along with Ivy League networking in Columbia.
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 16:26
thanks for the prompt reply! i just called wharton office and there was a delay with my package so i'll only be receiving it tomorrow. but they pointed me to check the online application and there's more info in there too. most likely i will choose wharton too.. so i may see you in may! :) unfortunately i'll be out of the country during the admit reception and will not be able to attend that.
Re: Wharton EMBA vs Berkeley-Columbia EMBA   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2011, 16:26