Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton or Chicago GSB + $60k?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2007, 15:20
kwam wrote:
If I were you I would go to Chicago, since today the gap between the brands is not that big. I know some guys who did their MBAs in Chicago and now are working for GS, Lehman, MS, UBS, and other banks (most of them in London, because it is easier to get a visa there afterwards).

I have a friend who has just been accepted to Wharton, MIT and Ross with +40k, and he will take Wharton or MIT because he wants finance too, in his situation I think that is reasonable to let this money, but in yours I do not think so.

Just to be clear... a job at GS, Lehman, Booz, MS, UBS is par for the course out of Chicago. Its not "a few people", its a lot of people...
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2007, 16:47
Chicago has a great reputation for finance... You'll get any equity analyst job you want with a Chicago degree.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2007, 16:50
One equity analyst example...

Fidelity...
Highest number of PMs... Wharton
Second Highest... Chicago
Third... Harvard
Fourth... MIT

Wharton and Chicago are both gonna get you where you want to be for an equities analyst position. 60k is certainly a great offer from a killer school.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2007, 02:19
Mark4124 wrote:
You'll get any equity analyst job you want with a Chicago degree.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm confused. Aren't MBAs offered associate positions? I know nothing of the finance industry, but any position with the word analyst in it sounds like a pre-MBA position. Is it so? Or is there something I'm not getting?

Cheers. L.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2007, 02:45
lepium wrote:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm confused. Aren't MBAs offered associate positions? I know nothing of the finance industry, but any position with the word analyst in it sounds like a pre-MBA position. Is it so? Or is there something I'm not getting?

Cheers. L.

As a career switcher, I'm not an expert about the ladders of investment management. But I heard that it will go like this: associate -> senior associate -> analyst -> senior analyst/portforlio manager/fund manager

Anyway, title can be different, but the nature of the work is doing investment research.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2007, 06:46
lepium wrote:
Mark4124 wrote:

Cheers. L.

Yea, associate is the typical title.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2007, 07:32
lepium wrote:
Mark4124 wrote:

Cheers. L.

It comes more from the fact that any equity analyst operates under the title of "analyst" pretty much, irrespective of their level. See any of the folk pop up on Bloomberg TV, there is every likelihood that they are not "analyst" level in the job pile, but that is the title they operate under.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2007, 15:29
3underscore wrote:
It comes more from the fact that any equity analyst operates under the title of "analyst" pretty much, irrespective of their level. See any of the folk pop up on Bloomberg TV, there is every likelihood that they are not "analyst" level in the job pile, but that is the title they operate under.

ahh, cool. In my industry, analyst = entry level.

cheers. L.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2007, 17:17
It is a job category... "equity analyst." There are of course different levels of analysts, but at the end of the day unless they have made it to portfolio manager, they are all equity analysts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2007, 20:23
lepium wrote:
Mark4124 wrote:

Cheers. L.

In equity research, you begin as an associate and end as an analyst... so it's the other way around.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 07:30
You're talking about very comparable schools, and debating a 12 person verse 2 person network. How much advantage can those 10 people give you? As people have said, it's more about how you perform than who you know.

I wonder how many of the Wharton / Chicago people making that decision got money at Chicago and not Wharton.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 07:39
Mark4124 wrote:
One equity analyst example...

Fidelity...
Highest number of PMs... Wharton
Second Highest... Chicago
Third... Harvard
Fourth... MIT

Wharton and Chicago are both gonna get you where you want to be for an equities analyst position. 60k is certainly a great offer from a killer school.

How much money does the lead manager of one of the Fidelity Select funds make? I know this is off-topic, but the mention of Fidelity got me wondering.
  [#permalink] 26 Apr 2007, 07:39