Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 23:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton or MIT Sloan for entrepreneurship

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

MIT or Wharton

• 56% [23]
  • 43% [18]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Wharton or MIT Sloan for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 10:31
In long term I'm particularly interested in entrepreneurship and establishing my own ventures. If I'm not able to start a profitable business while at school then probably after MBA I'd like to go to consulting or (tech?) product management to pay off my student debt. Everybody in the US keeps telling me to go with Wharton and everybody outside the US to pick MIT Sloan. Also, one more aspect that after MBA I'd like to stay in NY or Northern California. Is Wharton's ranking and reputation somewhat superior to MIT Sloan? Any recommendations?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton
WE 1: Law

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton or MIT Sloan for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 11:57
Wharton has a slightly higher reputation and is a big market for NYC (not sure about west coast for either), but if you're very focused on entrepreneurship and technology, I think MIT has the edge because of its world-class (non-MBA) technology and engineer programs. I think the school also touts relationships between the MBA program and the engineering program for creating startups. Of course, you should definitely visit both schools to see which culture fits you better. Good luck with an enviable choice between 2 great programs!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton or MIT Sloan for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 14:19
Thanks for a helpful reply, Capr!

I'm leaning towards MIT but maybe someone knows if there's a difference between these two schools in terms of access to VCs as an entrepreneur? Wharton has historically sent a huge number of people to work in finance. Does that mean their graduates can take advantage and leverage from Wharton's VCs network? Or is there virtually no advantage over MIT from that perspective?
Re: Wharton or MIT Sloan for entrepreneurship   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2012, 14:19