Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which school to enrol?

• 22% [25]
  • 70% [80]
  • 7% [8]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 13

Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 05:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Dear Gmatclub readers,

I've got offer from Wharton (w/o $), Booth (w$60K), Sloan (w/o $).

Profile: female, Asia, Singapore, Vietnam, engineering, hi-tech industry
Post MBA: internal strategic planning (or consultant -- not really like) in hi-tech for short-term, entrepreneurship & trading for long-term
Post MBA location: does not matter. I stay where the opportunities are.

Financing MBA is a pain, and $60K means quite a bit to me. However, I know that $60K is negligible for long run. If any school of the 3 schools much better suits my career, I'm willing to overlook the scholarship. Actually my first choice is Wharton. And the old historic "H/S/W" trio at the top. I'm not brand concious, but I know brand-name may have huge impact to my career, my opportunities and network. Any comments/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to create any hostility among students/alumni of these 3 schools. All schools are great, and I'm so lucky to be accepted. Please make this thread a friendly discussion. Thank you so much.
Pls forgive of my slow response (if any) as I am travelling.

Poem.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 07:25
This post received
KUDOS
I would pick Booth. I think the $ is too much to turn down, and all three schools are strong in all your post-mba goals.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [2] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
poem wrote:
Dear Gmatclub readers,

Post MBA: internal strategic planning (or consultant -- not really like) in hi-tech for short-term, entrepreneurship & trading for long-term

Financing MBA is a pain, and $60K means quite a bit to me. However, I know that $60K is negligible for long run. If any school of the 3 schools much better suits my career, I'm willing to overlook the scholarship. Actually my first choice is Wharton. And the old historic "H/S/W" trio at the top. I'm not brand concious, but I know brand-name may have huge impact to my career, my opportunities and network. Any comments/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to create any hostility among students/alumni of these 3 schools. All schools are great, and I'm so lucky to be accepted. Please make this thread a friendly discussion. Thank you so much.

Poem.

There should be no issue getting all the funds you need from either of the 3 schools through loans as an international student.

I have visited and interviewed at all 3 programs on campus as well as networked heavily with students from all 3 programs.

First off, I would recommend you download their career reports for each of the programs. You will see the same top firms recruit at all 3. Wharton and Booth send about 40% of their class to finance related careers. MIT sends 20% of their class to hightech and internet based careers. All three send 20-30% of the class to consulting careers.

How do you like the campus atmospheres?
I found Wharton to be very nice. Right next to the large UPenn campus, lots of activity. No dedicated space for MBA students as the Ugrad and grad wharton business students share the building and study areas. Very large class. With a large class comes tons of activities and interests to explore. Tons and tons of travel opportunities. You can take a semester at the San Francisco campus to study entrepreneurship your 2nd year. You can take a semester at INSEAD and live in Singapore or France for a semester.

Chicago's Campus is beautiful. Dedicated space for graduate students, lots of study areas and you also have the downtown campus to meet up. You will most likely live in downtown Chicago in the "Dorm" highrises. Chicago is the cheapest of the 3 areas to live. You will live like a king for what it would cost to get a studio at either Philly or Boston near the campus. Also Chicago is a great city. I currently work in Chicago. Top notch facilities including a huge gym and fitness building 10 minute walk from Booth. Chicago is also has more entrepreneurship activity than Boston or Philly. Booth works with "1871" with is a huge start up incubator and work space that is famous in Chicago. The polski center for entrepreneurship is also solid.

MIT is located in a nice area. Boston is the most expensive of the three areas. Smallest class size out of the 3 schools. MIT offers tons of lab classes which is a huge plus for me. School is more tech focused, opportunity to tap into other MIT departments. Very strong in entrepreneurship (Booth and Wharton is also quite strong). A good 50% of the student body come from Science Engineering or Technology backgrounds.

Overall, you honestly can not go wrong with any of the programs. There are statistics you can find on how much on average graduates make 5-10 years out of business school, Most of the top 5 -8 schools are within a +-10% variance from one another.

A 60,000 scholarship. Say you attend Wharton or MIT and took 60,000 in additional loans, after interest that would balloon to close to 75-80,000 with the interest. Saving that much money will potentially allow you more financial freedom to start a company of your own sooner. I know A LOT of people who have picked Booth over Wharton even when money was not in the picture. Booth is a great program and is rising very quickly in brand value. The last 5 years Booth has done all the right things.

Good luck on your decision. There is no wrong choice you can make with your particular career goals.
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [5] , given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 08:59
This post received
KUDOS
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [2] , given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
aalba005 did a really great job breaking down the decision. I suggest visiting all three schools and cities and see which resonate most with you. I go to Sloan (obviously) and I can tell you that all the big firms (including tech) recruit here. Furthermore, I think any additional brand value you would get from Wharton (which I would contest anyways given that you're not interested in finance) would be offset by the brand value of MIT as a whole should you choose to go to Sloan.

That said, if I were in your shoes, my decision would be between Sloan and Booth (Wharton is far too big for my tastes). There is no doubt that $60K is a huge amount of money, especially when you consider you will need to gross ~$90K-$100K to pay it off. While I love Sloan and I personally know people who turned down Booth with money to come here, I voted for Chicago (with the caveats I mentioned above).
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 06:02
This post received
KUDOS
poem wrote:

I voted Wharton - if that is your first choice then $$$ should not make much of a difference. IMHO, 10 years from now the money will be less of a concern but your experience, network, and first career out of b-school will still mean a lot. Follow your heart!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 436 [1] , given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
Did you (politely) ask Wharton to match the offer?

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Wharton '16 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [2] , given: 3

Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 23:08
This post received
KUDOS
It is quite astonishing how much money booth offers for scholarships, granted this message board is a small sample. I have yet to see this kind of money offered at Wharton, CBS or MIT. My opinion is that if you are doing traditional ib or consulting, take the scholarship. If you are targeting something more niche, all schools should be on the table. I am almost glad MIT wait listed me to reduce my universe. I voted for MIT since you seem to be of the tech variety.
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 05:26
Thanks all for your comments. Really appreciate that.
Special thanks to aalba005 and kingfalcon for your breaking down decision, and CobraKai, it was funny.
Hi Jumsumtak: I haven't talked to Wharton Adcom yet. It will be the last step I will do because I am not sure if Wharton is open for this kind of discussion. I don't want to damage the relationship too soon, haha.
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 05:47
poem wrote:
Special thanks to aalba005 and kingfalcon for your breaking down decision, and CobraKai, it was funny.
Hi Jumsumtak: I haven't talked to Wharton Adcom yet. It will be the last step I will do because I am not sure if Wharton is open for this kind of discussion. I don't want to damage the relationship too soon, haha.

Well, I thought this was the last step :). Nah, just make sure you want to go there before you initiate any such conversation. Can't really go wrong. Good luck .

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [3] , given: 37

Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
1) Congrats on getting that much money from any school. I'm glad our admissions board can ID talent lol

2) If you really want to go to Wharton (or MIT) for that matter, tastefully bring up with your admissions rep your conflict and ask for some assistance. Admissions boards have the discretion to increase scholarship offers. One of my friends was accepted to Wharton off the W/L a week before the semester started. She was really conflicted because she would have had to pass up a free ride at Tuck. Wharton offered her 30k a year. I did the same thing with Chicago Booth and NYU-Stern.

3) It's about fit. Where did you feel at home? Where did you feel that you would be pushed academically, socially, and professionally? If you can answer those questions then your decision will be much easier.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 8

Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 18:50
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations on getting through such great programs poem. This is a remarkable achievement. I have voted for Chicago booth. As an international student, I think $60K is just too much money to look away. You cannot go wrong with either of the choices in terms of reputation. All of them are top tier. Just like others have mentioned the only thing you have to gauge now is your personal fit with the class and the school. I would advise you to shell some money out and fly to US to attend the admit reception for all the three programs and experience the atmosphere there. I would also recommend to speak with other international candidates with similar background as yours on how they are find their experience
This is such a great situation to be in. Congratulations.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 84

Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 19:02
This post received
KUDOS
poem wrote:
Dear Gmatclub readers,

Poem.

I would have chosen Wharton; as a technical guy ; you need not to go technical management school like Sloan. Go to Wharton if you care Business more and interested in multidisciplinary entrepreneurship in future.

Thnaks

:-D

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Last edited by rango on 27 Dec 2013, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [3] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 22:03
This post received
KUDOS
poem wrote:

Ask now because others are asking. If Wharton is your first choice then there's no harm. If you do it right you just might get some funds. There is a limited pool of fellowship money. Don't let it dry up before you've even put your request in.

Money should only be a tie breaker, not the reason you choose a school. Take your time, ask for what you want, see what happens, visit the schools and evaluate when the dust settles. Deposits aren't due til February/March. Spend a few weeks pretending like you're gonna go to all three schools. These decisions tend to make themselves at a certain point.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 08:54
I'm terribly sorry for my slow response because of my travelling plan.
Well, I am reaching out to students of Wharton, Booth & Sloan, and hopefully I could make up my mind soon.
I will let you guys/gals updated, and the logic behind my decision. And thank you so much, Gmatclub-ers!!!!!

And not to forget, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I hope 2014 brings everyone lots of fun, success and of course, happiness.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Goizueta '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 15:51
Poem,

Congratulations on such an enviable position that you are in. Please read this below link to see a last year's applicant who got into the same schools reach the decision. This might give you some pointers even though you might not arrive at a similar decsion.

http://mbaover30.com/2013/03/01/why-ive ... -business/

Good luck !!!

Adi
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 53

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Definitely Booth, it's pretty much tied with Wharton in rankings nowadays, so its debatable if Wharton is even better.
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 03:16
Thanks get2aditya & mgh234.

I have talked with a number of students & alums from all 3 schools, I don't have a very certain answer yet, I still have 8 days to go, but I am getting clearer & clearer. Anyway, as the "pay-it-forward" principle, I will post my final answer here (and the rationale behind) after the sweet Feb 14 date. Sorry it may not help R1 applicants, but I hope it helps R2 applicants in their decision.

By the way, just an update of $20K fellowship from Wharton after nicely asking, and $40K from MIT Sloan w/o asking. I am still surprised how generous Sloan is, esp I never asked for it. I was always impressed that Sloan rarely offers fellowship. Good luck to those who are asking for fellowship!!!

Best,
Poem
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 09:53
Congrats. That definitely makes this a harder decision. I think I'd still pick Booth, but I'd understand if you picked either of the other schools.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 43

Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 13:43
Wow, this is a very tough decision. I'd be happy to get into one (without the $), let alone all 3!

I would say Wharton (as it was your top choice to begin with), and with them adding some $ to the table I think that's where you should go if you've always felt it was your top choice. If I were you, the only reason I wouldn't take it is if you don't like the environment there (i.e. you didn't like it there when you visited).
Re: Wharton vs Booth (w$60K) vs Sloan   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2014, 13:43