Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What about me!? Unique Situation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What about me!? Unique Situation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2006, 09:09
Im wondering if someone could take a look and suggest what my chances are and what I should do to get to my goal; MBA starting 2007 at one of the top 15 Harvard is my reach with NYU and Darden as schools I would love to attend. Any other suggestions regarding school choice are also welcome

Background: Born and raised in South Asia. Moved to US for Undergrad education and stayed on (Now a US Citizen)
Education: Undergrad at University of Virginia. BA in Psych +Econ
GPA: Low because I was puttnig myself through school (part time job/loans) and was active in the community. ended school with 2.91. Highest was 3.3 in final semester. Low Grades in some of the analytical courses (Accounting, Math)
Undergrad Extracurric: Resident Advisor, President of Residence Halls, President of South Asian Cultural club, Mentor for Madison House Community
Work: Work at one of the Big Three Auto. Started as a manufacturing supervisor for two years, managing about 40 union workers in different roles, including engineering & maintenance. Switched over to marketing as a sales and forecasting analyst at the end of last year. Working on developing new methods of tracking marketing programs and thier successes, also pitching new ideas backed by data. Inloved in organizing company sponsored events.
GMAT: first try was 650. giving it again and target is 740.
Extracurric: Actively Inloved in autocross racing

Not sure if i can think of anything else. Again my goal is general management, the MBA will allow me to hone my finance skills and work in Corp finance before hitting my final goal of being Regional Head someday of an Auto Company.

Pls suggest anything I can do between now and October till the apps are due. As i mentioned, HBS would be a dream come true.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: What about me!? Unique Situation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2006, 15:11
Expert's post
fssblue wrote:
Im wondering if someone could take a look and suggest what my chances are and what I should do to get to my goal; MBA starting 2007 at one of the top 15 Harvard is my reach with NYU and Darden as schools I would love to attend. Any other suggestions regarding school choice are also welcome

Background: Born and raised in South Asia. Moved to US for Undergrad education and stayed on (Now a US Citizen)
Education: Undergrad at University of Virginia. BA in Psych +Econ
GPA: Low because I was puttnig myself through school (part time job/loans) and was active in the community. ended school with 2.91. Highest was 3.3 in final semester. Low Grades in some of the analytical courses (Accounting, Math)
Undergrad Extracurric: Resident Advisor, President of Residence Halls, President of South Asian Cultural club, Mentor for Madison House Community
Work: Work at one of the Big Three Auto. Started as a manufacturing supervisor for two years, managing about 40 union workers in different roles, including engineering & maintenance. Switched over to marketing as a sales and forecasting analyst at the end of last year. Working on developing new methods of tracking marketing programs and thier successes, also pitching new ideas backed by data. Inloved in organizing company sponsored events.
GMAT: first try was 650. giving it again and target is 740.
Extracurric: Actively Inloved in autocross racing

Not sure if i can think of anything else. Again my goal is general management, the MBA will allow me to hone my finance skills and work in Corp finance before hitting my final goal of being Regional Head someday of an Auto Company.

Pls suggest anything I can do between now and October till the apps are due. As i mentioned, HBS would be a dream come true.

fssblue,

Your profile as you describe it is not terribly unusual (I'm sure there's more to it, of course). Given that and the 650 GMAT, I think your chances at HBS are extremely small. Even with a 740, I don't believe they would be much stronger. HBS is not a manufacturing oriented business school for one thing. For another, they can afford to build a class of stars because they get so many applications. Your profile is impressive but frankly it is not HBS caliber.

Given your goals, assuming you raise your GMAT to the 700 region you should consider Michigan, Darden, Duke, Cornell, maybe Chicago.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 May 2006, 18:31
Thanks for the feedback and honestly the schools you mentioned are all excellent and i would consider myself fortunate to be a part of thier program. However, based on my observation and on experiences related by HBS alumni, I concluded that HBS likes industry experience. I could be wrong... no harm in trying though.

Out of curiosity, why in particular would I not be HBS material? GPA or industry experience? Also, in your opinion, what kind of candidate is HBS looking for? What about Columbia and Stern?

Once again I really appreciate your feedback.

Regards,
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 May 2006, 09:40
Expert's post
fssblue wrote:
Thanks for the feedback and honestly the schools you mentioned are all excellent and i would consider myself fortunate to be a part of thier program. However, based on my observation and on experiences related by HBS alumni, I concluded that HBS likes industry experience. I could be wrong... no harm in trying though.

Out of curiosity, why in particular would I not be HBS material? GPA or industry experience? Also, in your opinion, what kind of candidate is HBS looking for? What about Columbia and Stern?

Once again I really appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

fssblue,

I don't want to discourage you from applying to HBS. As you said, there's no harm in trying. You asked for my assessment of your odds, and for the vast majority of people the odds are low. In detecting HBS candidates, based on the successful HBS applicants I've worked with, I look for significant, unusually high levels of leadership across the board--they have a "standout" quality even when compared to the high achievements of most HBS applicants. Marine captains, former NFL linebackers turned entrepreneur, etc. tend to "stand out." Your profile is strong (don't get me wrong) and your accomplishments impressive, but I didn't detect that extra something (although the leading of 40 union people is getting there--good essay material). The GPA doesn't help but is not a dealbreaker. Yes, I think you could aim for Columbia and Stern--but get that GMAT around 700.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 May 2006, 10:58
I appreciate your honesty and feedback. I needed a sense of where i stood and i feel that your response truly captures it. And yes, the supervisor bit has given me very interesting essay material!

Just out of curiosity since HBS is potentially beyond my reach, what do you think within it?
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 May 2006, 10:17
Expert's post
fssblue wrote:
I appreciate your honesty and feedback. I needed a sense of where i stood and i feel that your response truly captures it. And yes, the supervisor bit has given me very interesting essay material!

Just out of curiosity since HBS is potentially beyond my reach, what do you think within it?

fssblue,

If you are asking what schools I believe are within your reach, I already answered that in my previous email: Michigan, Darden, Duke, Cornell, maybe Chicago, CBS, NYU if your GMAT is around 700.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 18:47
In your opinion, which of these schools carry the greatest prestige and in what order. I guess im curious as to the long term marketability of a certain school's reputation as it will provide a good metric with which to assess value for money of a certain degree.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 07:53
Expert's post
fssblue wrote:
In your opinion, which of these schools carry the greatest prestige and in what order. I guess im curious as to the long term marketability of a certain school's reputation as it will provide a good metric with which to assess value for money of a certain degree.

fssblue,

Your question about "prestige" is a misguided one because different schools have different degrees of "marketability" depending on the post-MBA field you want to enter, the region of the country or world you want to work in, etc. There's no single "prestige index." I recommend that you look at the salaries that graduates of these schools are offered and the kinds of employers that hire the largest number of their grads (see BW's B-school website). In terms of "value for the money" and the long-term salaries of B-school graduates, see Forbes magazine's biennial "Best Business Schools" ranking.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553