I just took my GMAT and Have been reading about Post-GMAT application stuff and honestly it is over whelming.
What I get from the information that I read online is that I need to start by shortlisting the schools.
I am listing my profile below. Do you think I stand a chance at top 10 B schools in US ?
Also a lot of posts talk about over representation of Indian males at these B schools and how the admission standards are really high for them. Is there such a thing for Indian females too ?
Age: 27 (Turning 28 in july)
Undergrad: Computer Engineering from a reputed college in India.
I was top of my class for first two years and 2nd for the 3rd and 4th year.
Grad: Master in Computer Science from Georgia Institute of Tech
I graduated with a 3.37 GPA but the thing that stand out for me is that I was the only one in the entire class of 2007 who did a
thesis. My thesis work was on something completely new to me and I put day and night together for two years to finish it. My advisor can vouch for that.
1) Bay area tech company: From June 2007 till Aug 2010
I worked in a very competitive bleeding edge technology here for 3 years.
2) Bay area tech comp: Sep 2010 till Present
I am working in networking here too.
I got promotion within my first year of work and a lot of appreciation from management.
Short term: I want to get into a role where I wil be challenged to manage people and technology
Long Term Goal: I want to go back to my hometown and start some sort of organization to help with women education.
-I am very passionate about running and do marathons every so often. I even run for charities and raised money for education of poor people through my running.
- I was the Leader of an organisation of new women grads at my company which helped girls to make the transition from college life to professional life, give guidance for being successful in professional life and peer networking in general.
- I have volunteered for a lot of organizations. One that stands out is a Hospice for HIV infected people. I use to volunteer there for 4 hours every week.
- When I was in college I had adopted a poor girl in Bombay and helped her through school education
Generally most of the applicants are from engineering background with a good 4-5 years of work experience. Plus it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there such as -what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc.
You need to make sure that your profile stands apart and all the activities at work and beyond work are highlighted in the best possible way.