Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 430 Q26 V23
GPA: 3.34
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Send PM
Re: What am I doing wrong? My poeple please help me. Need Help! [#permalink]
Kudos
Well it seems that you are doing the correct preparation, but the information just might not be sticking. There could be plenty of reasons for this, but one that I can think of is that you need to give the GMAT your best attention. That means, don't study the GMAT after work, trying studying before work. Don't study when you're tired, study when you're alert. Don't study when your sick, study when you feel well... etc, etc... Make sure the GMAT is number 1.

Also, you need to cover your topics more in depth. You are obviously study good material, but you are not retaining this information. So I would recommend that you cover material more slowly, and reinforce each new thing you learn with practice problems. Make sure you don't move on until you KNOW that you have this topic down. Also, keep an error log of your mistakes on practice problems, so you can later go back to those and revisit the questions you've missed.

The final advice I can give you is to not give up! It doens't sound like you will, but the GMAT can be quite challenging. In many cases it can take months and months and months over long periods of time to really start retaining this information. And if all else fails, you should really try to sign up for a professional GMAT course.

Good luck to you, and I hope that your future studies progress nicely.

Also, take a look at my post here: 10-tips-to-improve-your-score-app-with-no-extra-studying-124393.html?fl=home It might help you with some of the intangibles
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much GMATLA for your advice.... I think the bain of my problem is retention and the time I study. My work requires very high energy levels so by the time I get home, I am usually very exhausted. I think this is affecting my absorbtion rate. I will heed to your advice and see if there will be improvements.

I checked out the link to the post in your reply and OMG most of the things you say are true. For instance, I was never used to the scatch pad. This really slowed me down especially on the quant section of my test and there wasnt enough space to contain more writing. It was really a problem for me. I was given a pen that seemed to write like a marker..it just took so much space when I write with it. I thought I was going to be given a pencil and plain paper to work with. I am going to get one right away! Guys please take this very seriouly.

I also remember I had to go use the wash room at least three times when the test was in session. The coordinator even got pissed at me. I just couldnt control my urge to urinate( excuse me) during the test. This is quite perculiar to me. So went to see a urologist to fix the problem now. I am now better.

But this is how seemingly little things like this can affect ones score and performance on the test.

Thank you guys and please keep your advice and support coming. I am most grateful....I am going to take some verbal practice test before going to work. Goodmorning!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Thank you guys and please keep your advice and support coming. I am most grateful....I am going to take some verbal practice test before going to work. Goodmorning!

And just as a reminder, before you start doing "practice tests" or loads of practice problems, make sure you understand the concepts. Without the concepts, practice problems can be a waist of time, effort, and practice problems. So make sure to study concepts very hard, and then reinforce with practice questions and tests...

I think you will see results if you keep up you hard work!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Whao! I will do just that and I will keep you posted regarding my performance.

I am going to start all over from scratch.

I hope I can count on your continued support and assistance.

Thank you so much. I am grateful.

Cheers! :-D
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Given where you're at, a class might not be such a bad idea.

Classes offer a one size fits all to get a good grasp on all the material. If you're going through material and not getting anywhere, you're likely hitting self defined roadblocks where it can be difficult to overcome. This is why we stress an error log.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
How is your prep coming up, Lordzilla?
GMAT Club Bot