Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

what approach do you follow for RC section ??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 18:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys
RC is really tough for me , especially when the sentences are too long. sometimes vocab is tough for me , because of these two factors i am unable to score well ( during practices )

I started this thread because i wanted to know
1) what approach you guys follow
2) how much time does it take for an avg 75 lines passage
will appreciate if you can spare 2-3 mins answering the same

my approach ...
step 1 )
as suggested in manhattan gmat i make a "skeleton" for whole passage ... but this ususally talkes me time 7 mins
step 2)
then i try to ans ques one by one ... i often have to go back to read the pasage and then read ans again , i repeat this step for all the ques , takes 10 mins

in total i spend 17-20 mins on 75 line passage , still i hardly get 50% correct ... dont understand what to do ? science passages are easy for me get 90% correct ...

on serious note how to appraoch RC .. wats the way that suits you ?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 167 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2009, 02:31
This post received
KUDOS
few points from my side
1.understand the RC. Not every Words. sometimes "Vertical Reading" helps. Understand the "Gross" meaning of each Para.Dont make Notes. make a Mental Map.

2. ask yrself.what each para is conveying? forget nitty -gritty in first readings. 4 Qs means 8 Mins. If you spend 10 mins. you are ruined.

3.always read the first Q before you start the RC.

4. GMAT RC is not that tough(Except the interference Q).IF you understand the editorial of Hindu/Times of India/Articies of WSJ/Economist/NGC/GEO--dont bother abt Vocab.

5.Most of the passages floating on net/forums are from LSAT. Dont worry so much.

6.Accuracy will improve once you practice more. You will feel lethargic sometimes. Share thoughts, Gyan. Like I am doing now :P

7.increase yr interest in every subjects. Never feel tired :oops:

thats all, Lav
Good to see you here in GMAT club

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2009, 20:07
thanks to you nitya for taking time to discuss
and above that posting regularly

yes i used to read times of india editorial , not much of an issue there, even i feel vocab is not the issue with me , often once can guess logically the meaning.

yeah i must change from "making notes" to making "mental map" , coz of making notes it takes time ... and anyways after making notes too , one needs to re-read the specific lines after ques ...

practice and sharing knowledge seems to be the key .. will try to be ore regualr on this forum

thanks again nitya
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2277

Kudos [?]: 8800 [2] , given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2009, 20:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Your approach makes sense. I found reading to be the hardest part as well.

My problem was taking too much time to read and not remembering ANYTHING. What I did instead - read through passage and stop after each paragraph and paraphrase it - that made me remember it. Don't rush - read and then summarize it in 1 sentence.

The obvious approach of reading the first question before reading the passage.

Then I would try to answer RC questions without looking at answer choices - not as efficient as CR, but it worked for me.

I still found that I would spend 10-12 mins on a passage or up to 15 mins and I could not cut it down, so instead I would study SC and CR harder to to cut time down on SC questions and use it on RC.

My goal was 1 min on SC; 1:30 on CR; Remaining time on RC. That translates into 15 mins on SC; 25 mins on CR, and 35 mins on 3-4 RC passages.

Finally, I also read as much quality fiction as I could and I put a basic list here - it was much more effective (for me) than newspapers:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/t76079-books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2009, 21:07
+1 to bb
totally agreed.
My problem is I am unable to cut down the "Av time taken in CR Qs"
I always take more than 2 mins/Q. Thats killing me.
I know I need lots of Practice on Quality New Qs (I recall the OAs of old Qs)

In the exam, I got first RC on astronomy(35 lines)-a simple one
then came the 65 lines on simple theme like "Dam and environment". It killed my time as it had only 5 Qs.
next--v simple on Wind energy in Norway etc

i had no time for the 4th--which was on paleontology(my fav)

so its absolutely essential to practice more(daily basis)
Infact More Practice in RC will improve reading skills in CR also. Its happening.
Also, PoE is a MUST in CR/SC/RC
this way we can increase the probability of Correctness
:)

math-polygons-87336.html

Last edited by nitya34 on 20 Mar 2009, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 02:01
thanks bb and nitya
I definately use POE
I need to practice more n more , BB's idea is nice a more "precise" mind map approach

wish me luck with my practices :)
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 04:47
dnt worry lav, u r not the only one who is scared by RC. To tell u the truth,some time back, i used to dread RCs. But i nev did anyting to improve it. This played havoc in my final exam. I got 49 in quant but only 31 in verbal oly bcos of RC. but then the first thing i did was take up OG11. i did all passages. after every passage i read complete explanation given in the answer. Thats very important. U get to learn a lot from analysis part.
Rest participate in this forum. Believe me , it will pay u a lot.
All the best! :)
lav wrote:
thanks bb and nitya
I definately use POE
I need to practice more n more , BB's idea is nice a more "precise" mind map approach

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8800 [0], given: 3666

Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 11:11
Expert's post
lav wrote:
thanks bb and nitya
I definately use POE

Thanks - I believe it came from Kaplan Verbal Workbook, and was one of their strategies.

That's the only strategy I used for Reading. No other checklists or things to clutter my head.
I was not a strong believer in check lists, so I only used checklists for SC (if I could not identify the incorrect/correct answer).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 22:14
bb wrote:

I still found that I would spend 10-12 mins on a passage or up to 15 mins and I could not cut it down, so instead I would study SC and CR harder to to cut time down on SC questions and use it on RC.

My goal was 1 min on SC; 1:30 on CR; Remaining time on RC. That translates into 15 mins on SC; 25 mins on CR, and 35 mins on 3-4 RC passages.

Finally, I also read as much quality fiction as I could and I put a basic list here - it was much more effective (for me) than newspapers:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/t76079-books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read

The only problem I have with this approach (in color) is one has be almost next to GOD, Just like Rafael Nadal is these days, in SC and CR. I agree that if we have more time for RC, we will score better in RC. How ever, it should not come at the cost of some thing else.

A 700 level test taker might knock out the first 3/4 SC's in a minute or even less. How ever, the curve becomes a little bit steep from there as all the Q's will become tough except for the occasional placebo. Unless we have a well rounded knowledge/stamina in all sections we cannot sustain the adaptivity of the CAT. Practice, Practice Practice is the only key to success in Verbal.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 22:51
Cant agree more with you
As the game(Exam) progresses and we perform well, the Qs become tougher and we tend to falter at that point

Thats why we get so un-palatable Verbal score(V 17 to V 28)

Practice will make us Semi-Perfect to tackle this CAT pattern of GMAT
Had it been a "paper test" of yester years, we could have easily saved time in one Q.
Its not possible any more
We need to show more interest in CR and RC sections before we face the Monster

in all forums, I have seen SC is the most popular of all :P
we need to reverse it

icandy wrote:
bb wrote:

The only problem I have with this approach (in color) is one has be almost next to GOD, Just like Rafael Nadal is these days, in SC and CR. I agree that if we have more time for RC, we will score better in RC. How ever, it should not come at the cost of some thing else.

A 700 level test taker might knock out the first 3/4 SC's in a minute or even less. How ever, the curve becomes a little bit steep from there as all the Q's will become tough except for the occasional placebo. Unless we have a well rounded knowledge/stamina in all sections we cannot sustain the adaptivity of the CAT. Practice, Practice Practice is the only key to success in Verbal.

math-polygons-87336.html

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8800 [0], given: 3666

Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 14:16
Expert's post
icandy wrote:
bb wrote:

Thank you for the compliment 8-)

However, let me "defend" my strategy a bit. I am not saying this should be everyone's strategy, but I just looked at it realistically and figured that I had a better chance of cutting down my timing on SC's than on RC's - better investment of study time. SC was my favorite type of questions - I enjoyed cracking them, RC's were hated as there was no clear rule to RC's and no clear strategy to improve really.

Here is what I found:
With SC's, in more than 50%, I could pick out the mistake and how to fix it just from reading the original sentence without having to read another answer choice.
In 25% of cases, I could spot one after reading a series of answer choices or validate that "A" was the best answer. In either of these cases, I could do an SC in about 30-45 seconds. Of course these are 75% of easier questions.

In yet another 25%, I had to actually look for the mistake through answer choices, noticing differences, and checking what the trap may be. Also I would always get caught with parallel structures, so I had to doublecheck at the end just in case.

however, I do think that after question 15 or 17, the difficulty stabilizes and stops going up/down significantly - at least that's my personal experience. This goes a bit towards the test format and algorithm rather than strategy but I think the two are related.

I am a non-native speaker, so I do have a bit of an advantage in terms of grammar, since I had to learn it rule by rule rather than just intuitively figure out at the age of 5. (I am a grammar mess in my native language though :oops: )

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ?? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 21:22
I ma looking for some strategies on how to tackle each of GMAT question on RC. I found PowerScore book helpful but not very GMAt specific(treats GMAT as step brother) . Could ppl good in RC throw some light on there approach on reading RC and attacking each kind of ques...

When going gets tough, tough gets going.........

Re: what approach do you follow for RC section ??   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2010, 21:22