Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 09:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are clubs (at bschools)?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 122

Premium Member
What are clubs (at bschools)? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 05:57
They keep highlighting their clubs at every admissions event or website I've been going to.

From what I can tell, clubs are just a networking tool and a resume booster for students. Is there something more to this that I'm missing?

Please enlighten me! Thanks :)

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
List of all 2014 Admit Weekends
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: What are clubs (at bschools)? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 17:06
Expert's post
Allows you to enhance your experience outside of the classroom, great way to meet new friends, pursue leadership positions, and often get a leg up in career searching because of events that might be club-specific.

For example, if you are a career switcher, interested in moving from operations into I-banking, taking on a leadership position in the Finance Club is a great sign of your interest and your perception amongst your peers.

Plus... there's usually adult beverages too!

-Brian

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: What are clubs (at bschools)? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 23:13
The fact that you use the word "Just" before "networking tool" is disconcerting.
You can learn everything taught in an MBA program on khan academy or YouTube. You're there for the connections, the network, the character-building, and the experience. 6 Months out, you think I remember how to price a bond? Hellll no.

Clubs are an important part of establishing yourself as social, outgoing, and amicable. I missed out on one important club at INSEAD (Rugby), and kicked myself later. I eventually joined and found that the social opportunities I had been missing were highly valuable ones.

There are academic/professional clubs (Consulting Club, Africa Club, Entrepreneurship Club) and leisure clubs (Rugby, Extreme Sports) - You'd be wise to join at least one of each.

My #1 recommendation for business school: learn how to speed-read, super-learn, and retain information.

jle.vi/superlearner

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: What are clubs (at bschools)? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 13:23
Expert's post
JLevi hits an important point here. In many ways, going to b-school full-time is a great 'reset' moment for you personally and professionally. Learn from your career to-date, and figure out what you want your future career to look like. Joining a variety of clubs in business school can definitely help w/ that 'reset.'

Best of luck!

-Brian

jlevi wrote:
The fact that you use the word "Just" before "networking tool" is disconcerting.
You can learn everything taught in an MBA program on khan academy or YouTube. You're there for the connections, the network, the character-building, and the experience. 6 Months out, you think I remember how to price a bond? Hellll no.

Clubs are an important part of establishing yourself as social, outgoing, and amicable. I missed out on one important club at INSEAD (Rugby), and kicked myself later. I eventually joined and found that the social opportunities I had been missing were highly valuable ones.

There are academic/professional clubs (Consulting Club, Africa Club, Entrepreneurship Club) and leisure clubs (Rugby, Extreme Sports) - You'd be wise to join at least one of each.

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: What are clubs (at bschools)?   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2014, 13:23