Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

What are my chances? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 05:14
Hi,

I am in the process of applying to the following schools:
Harvard
Wharton
Stanford
MIT
Booth
Columbia

Here is my profile - please tell me what chances I have of getting admitted to these schools and any tips to improve my chances.

- 26 year old male. Born in India. Living in Singapore for the past 8 years.
- Work experience: 4.5 years [at matriculation] in Front Office Technology at Barclays Capital, Singapore. Technical lead for 2 full time employees.
- Post MBA goal: Institutional Investment management
- GMAT: 780 (Q50,V47)
- Undergrad: Engineering @ National University of Singapore (First class honours - 4.55/5.0). 1 year entrepreneurship program during undergrad @ Stanford University.
- Other education: Passed CFA Level 3
- International Work Experience: 1 year US, 4 years Singapore, 5 weeks UK
- Volunteer activities:
-- Vice President (Mentorship) at a Student Entrepreneurship Association in California. Roped in 7 successful VCs and entrepreneurs as mentors within 6 months. Led a team to organize a series of mentorship seminars.
-- Financial mentor, aidha Singapore - Providing mentorship on personal finance and entrepreneurship to foreign domestic workers in Singapore.
- Extracurricular activities
-- Member, Barclays Footloose dance club (current)
-- Senior Vioinist, Indian Instrumental Ensemble (university)
-- Member, NUS Guitar club (university)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What are my chances? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 14:27
Expert's post
Hi Psarkar,

Thanks for writing in and congratulations on an outstanding GMAT score.

While it’s great to have that in your pocket, by no means are you done! You need to show that you have a well-thought approach to why you are seeking an MBA and why each school can be a good match for you. Your work in engineering and IT is likely going to cause schools to want to classify you with the IT group of candidates. Instead point to your experience with the Entrepreneur Association, your leadership and success at work, and even your role as a financial mentor as differentiating factors. Where possible link these activities to your post-MBA goals.

Do this well and you should be competitive at all of the schools you listed.

Best of luck,
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: What are my chances? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 07:36
hello ,
i am a final year student of computer science engineering ,from india. plz tell me :
1. i want to pursue one year accelerated mba in hedge funds . i don't have any undergraduate degrees or certificates in business . so am i eligible to do so ?
2. what are my chances of getting admission and scholarship in following colleges ?
London Business School, UK
Insead France / Singapore
IE Business School Spain
Iese Business School Spain
IMD Switzerland
HEC Paris France
Esade Business School Spain
3. what are the requiremens for getting admission and "scholarship " in
these above colleges and which will be better for a foreigner like me to pursue mba in hedge funds ?