Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

what are my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2005, 16:19
Ist attempt: Q44(75%), V38(85%) Overall (90 percentile)
II attempt Q48 (86%), V28(51%) (80 percentile)

Nationality: US
Masters in Computer Engg , GPA(3.72/4.0) University of Minnesota, 2000
Masters in Electrical Engg, GPA(3.76/4.0) Oakland U, MI, 1992
Bachelors in Electrical Engg, GPA 3.7/4.0, Inida

I have been working full time for 13 years in the US and currently as a lead/manager for the last few months.

I would like to get into a good Finance program. I am currently looking into Cornell, Tuck, Yale, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Chicago, NorthWestern and Darden. Are my GMAT scores (especially Quants) good enough? I could retake GMAT but my job is pretty intense and have little spare time.

Thanks very much!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2005, 16:35
Expert's post
I think your GMAT is okay, but not great. It's too bad that your score went down the second time around.

My main question is about your age. As you probably know, the average b-school applicant is more like 25-28 years old. Schools definitely don't discriminate based on age, but they are likely to ask questions about why you're going for any MBA now, given your level of work experience, and why you didn't consider earning an MBA sooner.

I don't mean to sound discouraging. You could also consider part-time or executive education programs.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2005, 17:47
Expert's post
BTW, I was just reading this chat transcript, and Beth Flye from Kellogg answered a question from someone who's older than average (35 years old). I thought you would be interested!

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 86_PG3.htm

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2005, 19:22
Thanks for you reply, Scott.

I am confident that I can improve the scores if I spend more time on the test but, I have read that only 1/3 rd. of what schools look is GMAT. Shouldn't my good educational and professional background make up for it? I think 680 is pretty competent, just not sure if my quant score was good enough especally for a finance major.

As to why I want to switch now, how about it is crappy being in IT in the US now a days knowing that some one in a third world country can do my job for 1/10th of my salary? Well, this is the real reason. I want to stand out in the crowd and set myself apart.

I don't want to go part time because I did for my second masters and it was pretty hard. I have the money now to not have to work while I go to school and hopefully I can just stay focused on school for a couple of years. Not many companies sponsor their employees for executive MBAs, especially if you are in IT/Software.
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2005, 09:25
Expert's post
I wouldn't even try to quantify it (e.g., "1/3 of what schools look at is the GMAT"). It's much more fluid and less predictable than that. It's just one part of your overall application. So, don't stress over your score too much.

Actually, a lot of companies DO sponsor their employees for executive MBAs, although not necessarily in your field.

My only advice is to really try to sharpen your story for why you want an MBA now. That's the best advice I can give you.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2005, 12:52
Thanks again, Scott. I appreciate your time.