Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What are my chances? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2006, 15:09
I'd love one or both of your inputs on my chances at the elite schools. I'd love to go an HBS, Wharton, Kellogg or Stanford - but also what you think my chances are for Michigan, Cornell or Yale. Thanks so much.

First the negative: I Graduated from a top 25 liberal arts college in New England with a BS in Economics. My cum GPA is low - 2.7 but it's about 3.4 in Economics and I took a very challenging track through the major including graduate level courses on Econometrics. I improved my junior year and was on the honor roll my senior fall but stopped caring senior spring and recieved a D- in one course. I'm not going to make excuses on my application but simply comment on my immaturity.

The rest of my story is very positive:

I scored 700 on my GMAT - 47 Quant and 41 verbal

I spent a year in Sales & Trading at a boutique covering primary technology. I left for an analyst position at the World Bank doing research on access to finance for small businesses in underdeveloped countries. It's a 2 year program, and unbelievably competitive for Americans to get in the door. I got very lucky. I will complete my term in the Summer of '07 and hope to enter school in the fall.

Outside of work I have (along with 3 others) founded the DC chapter of a non-profit that trains low income individuals on skills necessary to succeed in the corporate world through a mentorship program. It's essentially been like starting my own business.

My reccs from past and present supervisor should both be very solid.

I'd like to switch gears in my career hopefully start my own business at some point.

Let me know what you think I should shoot for. Thanks!

Thanks so much for your time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 43

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2006, 18:41
Expert's post
The undergrad gardes will definitely make things harder. Adcomms often say that they're forgiving of slow starts in undergrad, but not of slow finishes. Finishing on a down note will be something that they'll notice. Your GMAT will help a little to overcome that, but even more important will be communicating that you now have the maturity/commitment/discipline to do well in school this time around.

The World Bank experience sounds great. I love the non-profit work, and I think that experience like that can give you a shot at any of your target schools (although the undergrad grades will make it harder). My main challenge to you is to think about how to present your "story" and tie your past experience to your future goals. Make sure that you don't sound like you're just chasing the hot flavor of the month (which happens to be real estate right now).

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2006, 07:14
Scott I appreciate your insight. Do you think I'd be better off not mentioning Real Estate at all on my application? I'm most interested aquiring the management skills to rise in the corporate world and get to the point that I can run my own business and work for myself.

Thanks!
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 43

[#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2006, 08:16
Expert's post
Well, I think you're always best off telling the truth (since your story will hold together much better), and being more specific about your career goals is better than being less specific. Just make sure that you have a good reason for your career goals, even if they're in real estate. I don't mean to make it sound like "real estate" is a dirty phrase. Just something to think about!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews