Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are my chances ? 640(Q-47,V -31,AWA -5.0)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What are my chances ? 640(Q-47,V -31,AWA -5.0) [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 06:37
Hi, I'm a female with Engineering background and IT experience of 5 + years. I took my GMAT for the first time two weeks back and got a 640

Q-47
V-31
AWA- 5.0.

Though I'm not craving for schools like Harvard or Stanford, I would definitely want to know my chances for being competitive in schools like Kellogg/s ,Cornell, Mc Combs, Ross. Can some body please advise?

Do I really need to retake GMAT?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 11

Re: What are my chances ? 640(Q-47,V -31,AWA -5.0) [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 20:56
640 will not be competitive at schools like the ones you have mentioned. Retaking the exam is the best option if you are aiming for these schools.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: What are my chances ? 640(Q-47,V -31,AWA -5.0) [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 21:08
deepthi50 wrote:
Hi, I'm a female with Engineering background and IT experience of 5 + years. I took my GMAT for the first time two weeks back and got a 640

Q-47
V-31
AWA- 5.0.

Though I'm not craving for schools like Harvard or Stanford, I would definitely want to know my chances for being competitive in schools like Kellogg/s ,Cornell, Mc Combs, Ross. Can some body please advise?

Do I really need to retake GMAT?

Thanks!

Hello,

I appreciate your Questions and you may post such queries (related to chances of admissions) at the right section.

There are admissions experts at " Ask Admissions Expert " who will be happy to help you.

However, just to help you with your question :

You should ideally retake your gmat, since you have taken it for the first time i would encourage you to work on your GMAT for some more time and retake it to cross 700 mark for the mentioned schools.

Rest it all depends on overall application e.g your quality of work ex, ECs etc

Thanks

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: What are my chances ? 640(Q-47,V -31,AWA -5.0) [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 10:20
Thank You @Oasis GC and @Gyan One for your replies.

I will plan on retaking my GMAT and post my admission questions later in the right section next time... :)

But can any one of you answer some of my questions below?

As you look at my score, Verbal is the place where I scored less(V-31). I'm sure I'm good at English but I realised that I didn't reach the GMAT quality.

Is e-gmat a good course to consider for Verbal? I did read Manhattan GMAT books and found them quite good.I tried applying all techniques and strategies mentioned (like for the CR and RC).Now, I'm confused on what strategy to use to beat the verbal and what extra should I do to score more?

Also, in my practice tests, I realised if I do good in SC and CR but bad in RC it badly affected my scores. Is this true that we have to be solid in all the three(SC,RC and CR) to get a great verbal score?

Thank You.
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: What are my chances ? 640(Q-47,V -31,AWA -5.0) [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 21:19
deepthi50 wrote:
Thank You @Oasis GC and @Gyan One for your replies.

I will plan on retaking my GMAT and post my admission questions later in the right section next time... :)

But can any one of you answer some of my questions below?

As you look at my score, Verbal is the place where I scored less(V-31). I'm sure I'm good at English but I realised that I didn't reach the GMAT quality.

Is e-gmat a good course to consider for Verbal? I did read Manhattan GMAT books and found them quite good.I tried applying all techniques and strategies mentioned (like for the CR and RC).Now, I'm confused on what strategy to use to beat the verbal and what extra should I do to score more?

Also, in my practice tests, I realised if I do good in SC and CR but bad in RC it badly affected my scores. Is this true that we have to be solid in all the three(SC,RC and CR) to get a great verbal score?

Thank You.

Hello,

e-gmat is a good option for verbal, you may read the reviews of e-gmat at the reviews section and can try their free trial.

MGMAT books are again great. If you think you are weak at verbal, you can try another approach for verbal and e-gmat or gmatpill should be good options. The best part is that these two courses come with money back gurantee (please double check this point) if you are retaking gmat.

Your performance across all three areas have to be solid for good GMAT Verbal score, you can not ignore RC and just focus on other two - this is an adaptive test, so your efficiency in all three is required (thought the competence across three may differ)

Good Luck

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Re: What are my chances ? 640(Q-47,V -31,AWA -5.0)   [#permalink] 08 May 2012, 21:19