Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

what are my chances at a top tier MBA program?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

what are my chances at a top tier MBA program? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 02:25
Hi hjort,

I would like you to evaluate my chances of getting an admit from a top tier B school .

I am a 24 year old Indian female, right now I am now an IT(Information Technology) consultant, working in the area of Enterprise resource planning. I work for this organization called Satyam Computer services limited, which is one of
the larger organizations in India(falls in the top 4 of India).

At work, I have quite successfully gained recognition and growth as a competent technical consultant. I have worked with two British clients so far (British Airport Authority and Balfour Beatty,UK).

In two years time I have sound knowledge about consulting in this field and hope to pursue an MBA in Management/Consulting.

Previously I worked with an organization called Yokogawa Blue Star, a Japanese Firm where the work culture truly reflected the Japanese.
This was part of the Automations segment. I left this job because I was always waiting for a break through into Enterprise resource planning, and was looking for an organization which has been successful in this area.

I completed my GMAT last week and got a score of 690.

I have about 2.5 years of experience, will have 3, by the time I join a B school in the fall of 2006.

I’ve graduated from an engineering college in Bangalore, India with a GPA 3.5.
I’ve been a keen orator and have now helped in making the Hyderabad ToastMasters Club a chartered one and am looking to have a ToastMasters club here in my office. I’ve been part of theatre clubs in Bangalore, India and have a couple of creative writing (essays and poetry) contests in Bangalore.

I’ve also been a volunteer for CRY for sometime now, and am right now involved in organizing a corporate quiz at the national level. The proceeds of which will go towards CRY ofcourse.

I'd like to know how what the important aspects are that the selection committee would look into before admitting a candidate. Please let me know if I stand a chance at U.mich. ofcourse the description of my job and other things have been cut extremely short.

Also, what kind of recommendations and from whom would the adcom expect?

I'd be obliged if you could answer these questions for me.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: what are my chances at a top tier MBA program? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 22:10
Expert's post
shilpa shastri wrote:
Hi hjort,

I would like you to evaluate my chances of getting an admit from a top tier B school .

I am a 24 year old Indian female, right now I am now an IT(Information Technology) consultant, working in the area of Enterprise resource planning. I work for this organization called Satyam Computer services limited, which is one of

At work, I have quite successfully gained recognition and growth as a competent technical consultant. I have worked with two British clients so far (British Airport Authority and Balfour Beatty,UK).

In two years time I have sound knowledge about consulting in this field and hope to pursue an MBA in Management/Consulting.

Previously I worked with an organization called Yokogawa Blue Star, a Japanese Firm where the work culture truly reflected the Japanese.
This was part of the Automations segment. I left this job because I was always waiting for a break through into Enterprise resource planning, and was looking for an organization which has been successful in this area.

I have about 2.5 years of experience, will have 3, by the time I join a B school in the fall of 2006.

I’ve been a keen orator and have now helped in making the Hyderabad ToastMasters Club a chartered one and am looking to have a ToastMasters club here in my office. I’ve been part of theatre clubs in Bangalore, India and have a couple of creative writing (essays and poetry) contests in Bangalore.

I’ve also been a volunteer for CRY for sometime now, and am right now involved in organizing a corporate quiz at the national level. The proceeds of which will go towards CRY ofcourse.

I'd like to know how what the important aspects are that the selection committee would look into before admitting a candidate. Please let me know if I stand a chance at U.mich. ofcourse the description of my job and other things have been cut extremely short.

Thanks. To answer your questions:

1) Most schools indicate on their web site what are their criteria for acceptance, but it usually goes something like this: academics or intellect; work experience (impact, excellence, and progression in a responsible position); personal characteristics.

2)You have a competitive profile for Michigan, although your experience is a tad on the low side.

3) The recommendationshould come from someone who has supervised you in a professional capacity.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: what are my chances at a top tier MBA program? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 05:27
Accepted.com wrote:
shilpa shastri wrote:
Hi hjort,

Thanks. To answer your questions:

1) Most schools indicate on their web site what are their criteria for acceptance, but it usually goes something like this: academics or intellect; work experience (impact, excellence, and progression in a responsible position); personal characteristics.

2)You have a competitive profile for Michigan, although your experience is a tad on the low side.

3) The recommendationshould come from someone who has supervised you in a professional capacity.

Good luck!

hi linda,
actually, by michigan, did you mean U.michigan-Ross???
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 13:51
Expert's post