Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are my chances at one of the top 5 schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What are my chances at one of the top 5 schools [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2006, 11:13
Here is some information about me

1) Indian, Male
2) when applying - age 29, 7 years of work ex
3) Education - Bachelors from IIT (gpa 3.3), MS from Stanford school of engg. (gpa 3.3).
4) Employment - Current role at company - Lead Engg., strong engg. project leadership experience.
5) Test Scores - GMAT 750/5.5, TOEFL - not taken yet

Extracurriculars
--------------------
Undergrad - Strong extra curriculars during undergrad (lots of sports and sports leadership plus some more)

Graduate - Not much extracurricular at grad school as I did it part-time while at work full time. ( I did 1 course on enterpreneruship and 1 on finance )
Current - I have been involved with alum assoc. activities for my school at reasonably strong leadership roles.

Schools
-----------

Schools I am thinking are HBS, Wharton, Columbia, Sloan, Chicago and maybe Stanford. What are my chances of getting into one of these schools?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2006, 18:49
Expert's post
The two most important things for you may be demonstrating leadership experience at work and showing hobbies/interests that help set you apart. Your work experience sounds like it might be full of leadership experiences, but obviously you don't have to go into all of that detail here. (By "leadership" I mean leading people and teams, and taking the initiative to make things happen.)

For hobbies/extracurriculars, your work long ago in undergrad and grad school won't help an incredible amount. Your more recent work will be more valuable. Be sure to show not just what you've done, but also WHY you're interested in it.

You could have a pretty good shot, but it also depends a bit on what you want to do post-MBA. Maybe also consider Haas and Stern, depending on what you want to do after b-school.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2006, 11:47
Thank you for the feedback. I do have some more questions that you may be able to answer. Kindly advise.

You mention that the undergrad experience will not be of much help. I was hoping to use some of that especially where I have shown strong leadership skills with tangible results in the form of awards etc. while I was leading a team etc. I also had some experience where I was the organizer for events that had at least 20-25 people in all who were working under me in running the event. I was really hoping to at least bring these up at some point in some of my essays. Could you pl. advise.

One of the reasons for my limited extracurriculars for the last 3-4 years is the fact that I was a part-time student and was also working on a full-time basis. Since I completed school, I have been back to being involved in outside work activities. I am hoping that will be well accepted by the adcoms as long as I present it well enough.

Also, will a 3.3 gpa hurt in top schools like HBS etc. where average gpa's are in the 3.5-3.6 range. The reason why I am asking this is that I was hoping that a 3.3 from a top engg. school + goog GMAT should be enough to prove academic potential so that I can solely focus about my leadership experiences in my essays by focusing on work/undergrad activites/current activities. Do you think I may need to justify at some point why 3.3 and not higher? I don't want to talk about it in the essays unless it may be viewd as a weak point in my application.

Thanks,
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2006, 13:08
Expert's post
I think your GPA is okay. I don't think it will keep you out.

Re: your undergrad experiences, I'd like to tell you what you want to hear, but my gut reaction is that adcomms will be much more interested in what you've done more recently, vs. what you may have done seven or eight years ago. You can still use thsoe experiences, but just something to keep in mind.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2006, 15:24
Thanks, That is very useful feedback.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 15:15
I just got hold of your book. I skimmed through sections here and there and its really cool. Can't wait to read the whole thing.

Ranjan
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2006, 18:17
Expert's post
Thanks for the kind words!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews