Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are my chances of a Top-10 US school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Darden '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

What are my chances of a Top-10 US school? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 21:06
Hi,
Here's my profile information in brief:

Indian/30/Male/IT - 5.5 Years of Exp.

Qualifications
I hold an MCA degree from IMT Nagpur. CGPA - 7.2/9

Diploma and Certifications
I hold the DNIIT diploma, which is a 2-year program, from NIIT - 93%
I am a Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP) - This is a certification from Sun Microsystems - 97%
I also complete the Microsoft Certified Professional certification - 90%

Work Experience
I have 5.5 years of experience in IT industry. I'm currently a Tech Lead with Imfinity Pvt. Ltd., Noida. I've earned good experience - worked in Satyam during the time it went bust helping senior managers in a unique initiative to restore credibility, worked in Syntel and got excellent reviews, leading team of senior devs in the current assignment and have received 3 back-to-back outstanding rating in annual appraisals.
I've worked with US and UK-based clients. I've had one international assignment - a 6-month stay in Boston, working for the biggest publishing firm in the world.

GMAT Score

Post MBA
I'd like to work for one of the top 3 consulting firms - McKinsey, BCG, or Booz...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: What are my chances of a Top-10 US school? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 22:09
Expert's post
Hmmm, I think Top 10 schools might be a little bit out of your range. Although no fault of your own, you are from a tough applicant pool (Indian, Tech, Male), and are a bit on the older side, with (for an Indian) a GMAT that is likely lower than the average for Top 10 schools (What can I say? Indian candidates just test way too high!). That, plus not coming from IIT will make top 10 schools a stretch for you, I am afraid. More realistic would be schools ranked somewhere from 11-40 (this is a rough evaluation).

Hope this helps! (even if it may not be exactly what you wished to hear),
Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Darden '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: What are my chances of a Top-10 US school? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 22:39
Thanks, Jon.

Would a higher GMAT score, say 730 cuts it (typical Indian/IT question!!!)?

What would be the stretch zone for me? Would 11-25 be a competitive or stretch zone?
The things is I want to start focusing on schools where I have a chance and if 11-25 are not in reach then I shouldn't even research them, right.

Do I have a chance in Top 10 EU schools?

I know consultants can't do magic but if I choose to work with you and we're able to thrash out a good, polished application how much does that improve my chances? Would a 11-25 be in reach?
I know it's something that you get all the time and the information is way too scarce for you to go on but I still wanted to ask. It's ok if you can not answer it I just wanted to run it past you.

I have heard good things about Admissionado and would like to have a consultation session. Can you provide some details on this as well?

Regards,
Sid
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: What are my chances of a Top-10 US school? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 22:42
Expert's post
It's funny that you ask! Because I just wrote a whole post about Indians and the GMAT here: to-retake-or-not-to-retake-that-is-the-question-indian-153716.html

And my answer is that, no unfortunately it won't help that much. Meaning, yes by all means it will help if you can get a 730! But it is no magic bullet. And in your case, given the time frame, I would not suggest retaking. So it is time to make the best of what you have, and more than anything else to work on those essays! And yes, having amazing essays will help, but still I feel that from what I can see for now (although we can always get into more detail) a Top 10 program will be a bit of a stretch for you. Anyhow, rather than aiming for an arbitrary number, I find that it is far more useful to aim for a school that will get you what you want out of your career. For example, Ross may not be a Top 10 program, but for Automotive folks it is for sure number 1, and Jones isn't even in the top 20, but for oil and gas, it can't be beat. So you need to think not only in terms of general prestige, (which is also helpful of course), but of what YOU want!

I will be happy to help you get set up with a consultant for a free session so that we can really dig into your profile, and see what we can do. Just fill out this form here: http://admissionado.com/mba/free-consultation/

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!