Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are my chances of getting into top B-schools.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: London Business School
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

What are my chances of getting into top B-schools. [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 09:00
Hi,
Please advise whether I stand a chance for admission in the top tier colleges such as Kellogg, Yale, Stanford, Wharton, Insead etc. Here is my brief background.

Age-33.

Place of residence-India.

GMAT First attempt-600;Q-38;V-34
Sec attempt-650;Q-49;V-28

Profession background.
I am sailing on Merchant vessels since 1996. At present, I am captain of the large Oil Tankers that are trading worldwide. I have encountered many challenges at sea during my 14 years of sailing including persuading the debilitated crew to pass the piracy infected Somalian waters. During passage, two boarding attempts from the pirates were foiled.

Besides sailing, I am a certified Mutual fund advise and during my leave, I am working for a Mutual fund advisory company. I am also a trader and investor. I give advise to my clients on trading in Indian stock market.

I am planning to again appear for GMAT. Will the third attempt have -ve impact on my application?

Pls advise as to what can be done to enhance my chances of getting into such coveted B-schools.

Thanks in advance.

Punzo.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: What are my chances of getting into top B-schools. [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 10:37
hello punzo,

i'm sure you can improve your score by another 50 points. . the top colleges usually admit people in 680 to 770 range. . but then again there is no minimum requirement . . and admissions depends on your GPA too. .

and stanford takes into consideration the best of your scores. . so taking it a third time will not affect your chances of getting in. . Research on the other schools . . I'm not exactly sure. .

ALL THE BEST :)
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: What are my chances of getting into top B-schools. [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 17:11
First, you'll need a stronger GMAT -- ideally 700 or above for top schools like you mentioned.

Beyond that, you will be a wild card - in other words, it will be very hard to say what your chances are because your case will be even more subjective since it's not like there's other applicants to benchmark/compare you again (i.e. there's likely none). You certainly have a fascinating background which will make for some compelling essay material.

With most applicants, their biggest challenge is trying to stand out in a sea of profiles that on the surface look the same.

In your case, it's the opposite. You certainly will stand out. The biggest challenge for you is being able to convince the adcom that you can FIT IN -- given your unusual background and age (i.e. a lot of folks will be younger than you and probably have a different perspective on life/career than you have - just a different stage in life perhaps).

I'd focus on another GMAT retake and then go from there. Good luck

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Schools: London Business School

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: What are my chances of getting into top B-schools. [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 22:55
Thanks a lot kyro and Alex.
As mentioned I intend to appear for GMAT again and hope to have a score of 700+ this time.
Regarding my GPA, the degree in marine science in India does not disclose the marks/grades, which again is a red on my application. However, the passing percentage in most of the subjects is 70%. Is there anything that I can do on this?

Thanks.

Re: What are my chances of getting into top B-schools. [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 20:35
Don't worry about your grades - it's ancient history, you're more than a decade removed (sorry to remind you that your early 20s was quite a while ago....). They'll be more focused on your GMAT.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: What are my chances of getting into top B-schools. [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2011, 02:49
Hi everyone,

I'm 22 years of age and about to graduate with a double major in mechanical engineering/accounting from a top university in Australia (top 50 in the world according to QS world rankings). I've sent my current transcript to professionals who have estimated my GPA to be roughly 3.0 in the US - which is clearly not good enough.

I have worked part-time all throughout my full-time degree, including one year as a part-time undergrad consultant at PwC. I've got a job as a project engineer at a medium sized international engineering consulting firm starting as soon as I graduate. Assuming I can score a GMAT of 710+ and after 5 years of work experience (preferably having moved on to project management by then), what are my chances at top MBA programs in the US - such as columbia, wharton and stern?

I have strong EC for an undergrad and I am currently treasurer of the main professional association for engineers in Australia. I'm planning to run for president of that association in one or two years time.

I'm female and asian australian.

Please let me know what you think. Since I know how much I screwed up my undergrad I want to be realistic in regards to my chances at top MBA schools or whether I should just aim for AGSM in Australia.

Re: What are my chances of getting into top B-schools. [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 09:23
dor1209 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm 22 years of age and about to graduate with a double major in mechanical engineering/accounting from a top university in Australia (top 50 in the world according to QS world rankings). I've sent my current transcript to professionals who have estimated my GPA to be roughly 3.0 in the US - which is clearly not good enough.

I have worked part-time all throughout my full-time degree, including one year as a part-time undergrad consultant at PwC. I've got a job as a project engineer at a medium sized international engineering consulting firm starting as soon as I graduate. Assuming I can score a GMAT of 710+ and after 5 years of work experience (preferably having moved on to project management by then), what are my chances at top MBA programs in the US - such as columbia, wharton and stern?

I have strong EC for an undergrad and I am currently treasurer of the main professional association for engineers in Australia. I'm planning to run for president of that association in one or two years time.

I'm female and asian australian.

Please let me know what you think. Since I know how much I screwed up my undergrad I want to be realistic in regards to my chances at top MBA schools or whether I should just aim for AGSM in Australia.

Five years away is an eternity. Focus on NOW. Which is your full-time job. The next few years of your life have not even been written yet, and being preoccupied that far into the future will only make it harder to focus on the challenges and life experiences you will face now. The first five years of your post college life are an amazing time of change in your life (not just career, but life). Make the most of it, and then in a few years time, whether you decide to go to b-school or not will be something you decide then.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: What are my chances of getting into top B-schools.   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2011, 09:23