Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SMU Cox
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.75
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: What are my possible options? After a 630 [#permalink]
Kudos
anupam986 wrote:
Hi, everyone,

I need opinions on 'What should be my next step'

Gave the GMAT on 18/10/13, Scored a disappointing 630 - Q-49 V-27, IR-7.

My preparation time was over 300 hours, approx 3 months, and I even took last two weeks off from work so that i can purely work on my GMAT.
Materials used:-
All MGMAT guides.
OG-13, Verbal Guide 2.
Powerscore CR bible.
GMAT club Ultimate Grammar
Aristotle SC grail
and even MGMAT verbal foundation

From the very start my problem area was SC, i was just not able to figure out the errors, i would narrow it down to two options but in the end i would always pick the wrong one. For this reason i referred so many books for SC but still i was not able to make any progress. My accuracy in this area would always be in the range of 65-75%. Even in the mocks my nemesis was SC but i thought that i would compensate my errors in SC with my accuracy on CR and RC.

My MOCK exams scores are as follows,
GMAT Prep 1(26/9/13): 650, Q 48, V32
MGMAT 1(2/10/13): 650, Q47, V32
MGMAT 2(5/10/13): 650, Q45, V34 (did some silly mistakes in quant, and thought as the verbal score improved i was making some progress)
MGMAT 3(9/10/13): 650, Q46, V33 (improve quant a little, was not able to figure out a passage in RC)
MGMAT 4(12/10/13): 630, Q46, V31 (could not figure some question in CR and for SC questions i was able to narrow it two options, but always pick-up the wrong one in the end)
MGMAT 5(14/10/13): 650 Q45, V34 (worked on verbal and saw a slight improvement)

GMAT Prep 2(16/10/13): 650 Q48, V31 (Since my score on MGMAT's was consistent - 650, so was expecting to get around 690 in this exam(as people say that GMAT preps are easier in comparison to MGMAT exams). So when i reached the verbal section i was under pressure to perform well on this exam, which led to this - In the first 15 questions i was just not able to figure out the errors in either SC or CR and so got 7 wrong)

In the actual GMAT, I did well on IR section and this boasted my confidence on Quant section and so i was able perform well. Again, my expectations part kicked in, it told me now u r doing great just carry this performance to Verbal section and u would be good. But my performance went in the complete opposite direction, i was just not able to figure out any errors on the first two SC questions and after that came a short CR, which was also confusing, i think that i was not able to answer it correctly, but then an passage came and i did great on that and then was able to carry this forward but was getting a little confuse on SC. Though, I never expected to get a Verbal score of more than 36 on my verbal but 27 is way too low.

The question is not whether i should appear again, the question is how much time do i have in my hand to appear for the exam again?

As i have read on this forum for SC, e-gmat is the king. My problem is even if I take the course and start my prep again i will not able to give the exam within a month and later than that i would be late for the applications process for my target schools. This is the dilemma that i am facing right now.
And so i seek help as well as opinion's of the members on this forum.
And I Thank all of you in advance.

My target score: 690 - 720

My little background,
Electrical Engineer, working in a Fortune 500 company, since last 6 years. (And i just can't think to wait another whole year)

My target schools,
Prudue, Smeal, Kelley, Texas A & M.

Dude in my humble opinion you are overdoing the verbal part with so much books. Please keep it simple. MGMAT strategy guides are more than sufficient for the verbal part. While I was preparing I did not feel any need to go to some other books. I am not saying that MGMAT is the only good option. Other books are also good but its just that I did not use them and this is my opinion.

Please do a SWOT analysis of your verbal part as your quant score is great. For the reading comprehension part I found the MGMAT strategy guide to be the best. Please follow it religiously, even the boring RCs get interesting. Re-do the fundamental concepts for the sentence correction again and again, till the point that everything is at your finger tips. You are good at CR, keep that going. Use only one study material for the fundamentals.

If my tryst with GMAT can help you, it will be my pleasure. https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-tryst-with-gmat-161947.html#p1281174
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the reply AasaanHai it helps a lot,

I do agree with you. It was my first option as well, but for the last exam i had the luxury of two weeks leave, which did prove great for me. Now after getting back into my job the back-log i have accumulated is high and so i wouldn't be able to devote the time and the energy that i did earlier as i won't again get the two weeks leave in such short span.

I have thought to apply this time with this score, so I can understand how the application process works, if i can attain some good college, it's good otherwise i will start my prep again from March. I do know with this score my chances are bleak.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks windofchange,

This boosts up confidence i think i will start with my application process right now, let's see where i will land up. If i get into some good college(unrealistic expectations). But i have to agree with ur quote "There can be Miracles when you believe" so i have to apply with the belief that i will get into something good.
Otherwise i will start my prep again from March.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks jkaustubh,
Congo man for the good score, best of the luck with the application process, read ur post it's inspiring.

As far my story goes, I do agree with your opinion that i was over doing it but the problem was that I was not able to assimilate the required confidence in answering my SC questions so i was looking for more sources, that would help my solve my dilemma with this section, but till the end i just could attain the result.

Now I think i will join e-gmat SC class or their Verbal class when i start my prep again from March. Till then i will try to get the application process experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
I read, I think in some advertisement post from e-gmat, where it said: Improve SC in 3 weeks or something to that effect. So, you may want to try it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
sukanyar wrote:
I read, I think in some advertisement post from e-gmat, where it said: Improve SC in 3 weeks or something to that effect. So, you may want to try it.

Hi there,

There is no magic in SC/RC/CR or PS/DS for that matter. It depends person to person how they target his/her score to reach good accuracy in any of the sections.

So the statement '3 weeks' is mere marketing.

Rgds,
TGC!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts