Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are you guys doing about your cell phone numbers?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
What are you guys doing about your cell phone numbers? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 13:19
Are you going to get a new number after you move to school, or will you be keeping the same number?

The last time I moved around, nationwide roaming wasn't really common, so I actually didn't have a choice - I was required to change to a local number and account. Even if you had roaming, they had some provision in their contract that said if at least 50% of the calls didn't originate from your home area, there were penalties or something.

Does anyone know if it is possible to just use the same number if you travel across the country? I wonder if that is a good idea.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What are you guys doing about your cell phone numbers? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 13:58
pelihu wrote:
Are you going to get a new number after you move to school, or will you be keeping the same number?

The last time I moved around, nationwide roaming wasn't really common, so I actually didn't have a choice - I was required to change to a local number and account. Even if you had roaming, they had some provision in their contract that said if at least 50% of the calls didn't originate from your home area, there were penalties or something.

Does anyone know if it is possible to just use the same number if you travel across the country? I wonder if that is a good idea.

Good question! I like my number and would like to retain it.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 20:10
I live in a pretty transient town and know tons of people with area codes from afar. I think it doesn't so much matter anymore
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 00:38
if you have any regular plan on cingular, tmobile, sprint, or verizon you should definately be fine to keep your number no matter where you go.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 04:44
pelihu,

Verizon will be available in UVA soon.
As I am keenly aware of all the wireless service providers' network quality in Virginia/MD/DC, I can say this. VzW rules!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 11:52
died4me wrote:
pelihu,

Verizon will be available in UVA soon.
As I am keenly aware of all the wireless service providers' network quality in Virginia/MD/DC, I can say this. VzW rules!

Good tip. I switched to Cingular less than a year ago and honestly I'm not too happy with the call quality. I do like the equipment and service plans, but call quality is not as good as Sprint or Verizon. I guess I'll check it out after I get to school to make sure I'm covered on campus and at home.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 07:52
Going with the Singular student discount plan. $39/month.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 09:03
GMATT73 wrote:
Going with the Singular student discount plan. $39/month.

Do you mean Cingular or is it something else?
Just curious, what is the student discount plan like? I am asking because lot of plans cost $39.99 per month, with 600 whenever minutes and weekends and weeknights free and nationwide roaming. So, I was wondering whether this student plan provides anything extra?
  [#permalink] 12 Apr 2007, 09:03