Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What arithmetic should I memorize?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 23:52
gottabwise wrote:
Shelen wrote:
I'm new here, and try to go through all the topics - this site is a treasure! :)

Maybe not the right place to share my experience with "multiplication for simple things like 13 x 11", but anyway...if you need to multiply any two-digits number by 11, just sum those digits and put the result in between. For example,
13x11 -> 1+3=4 -> 143 is the result.
Or, 36x11 -> 3+6=9 -> the result is 36x11=396.

Thanks for the tips. I recently downloaded some math apps to learn shortcuts. I plan to use them minimially though given the geometry and other formulas I need to memorize.
It really saves time.

Posted from my mobile device Image

How about 46 X 11 = ? ; Just found out we cannot apply this rule to this so wondering :(

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 06:44
just add the digits and insert the result in between the number. If there is a carry over add it to the ten's digit of the number

So in this case 46*11 ; 4+6 = 10. Insert 0 in between 4 and 6, carry forward the 1, that gives us 506
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 19:58
thanks for posting this download
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 23:46
Thank you for the document! Have already found it useful.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 16:17
I know this post is quite old, but I'm just discovering this forum (thankfully after only being 1 week into studying). I genuinely am surprised to see such great resources on here and I'm feeling more confident, even after just discovering gmatclub, that I'll get a good score.

I have a question about the downloadable sheet. I'm kind of confused with how it's ordered and why some of the items are included. Why are some fractions and some exponents on here, but others aren't? Is there a reason for these particular ones to be remembered? When a fraction or percentage is listed, should we be memorizing the decimal, percentage and fraction versions of each of them?

For the last three lines, why is it important to know the multiples of 12, 15 and 8 over other ones?
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3616

Kudos [?]: 28966 [0], given: 2874

Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 00:28
Expert's post
tkaelle wrote:
I know this post is quite old, but I'm just discovering this forum (thankfully after only being 1 week into studying). I genuinely am surprised to see such great resources on here and I'm feeling more confident, even after just discovering gmatclub, that I'll get a good score.

I have a question about the downloadable sheet. I'm kind of confused with how it's ordered and why some of the items are included. Why are some fractions and some exponents on here, but others aren't? Is there a reason for these particular ones to be remembered? When a fraction or percentage is listed, should we be memorizing the decimal, percentage and fraction versions of each of them?

For the last three lines, why is it important to know the multiples of 12, 15 and 8 over other ones?

The doc gives some arithmetics which one will frequently need while solving the GMAT questions. Though I agree that some useful staff is missing and presence of some other things is debatable.

As for the percentages, it's good to know fractional as well as decimal representation of some of them.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 08:06
a lot of my simple questions are already answered :)
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 569 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 22:04
Expert's post
AtifS wrote:
Thanks for sharing the Doc bb...@Shelen & @jeckll...Thanks for the tip but I would like to add some more.

What if u need to multiply 3 digits or 4 didgits by 11...the procedure is same as u mentioned but it would be done like below

For 3 digits
133x11 --> 1 1+3 3+3 3=1463
And for 4 digits
1243x11 --> 1 1+2 2+4 4+3 3=13673

And for 5 digits
15453x11 --> 1 1+5 5+4 4+5 5+3 3=169983
and so on.
you can plug other numbers in and check it out.

Hope it helps! :)

This is awesome 'AtifS' ......!!! Great time saving... :)

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 22:22
Expert's post
AtifS wrote:
Guys! I just found another way of checking whether a number is divisible by 8 or not ( the rule is same but another approach or route ). It's for a number with more than two digits.

Let's take 1936
1) First of all check whether last two digits of the number are divisible by 4 or not.
For 1936, we do this way 36/4=9

2) If it is divisible by 4 then add the quotient to the 3rd last digit of the number and if the sum of them is divisible by 2 then the whole number is divisible by 8.

--> 9 (quotient)+ 9 ( 3rd digit from right)= 18, and -->18/2=9
So the whole number is divisible by 8.

Once you understand it and do a little practice, you'll find it easy and fast.
**You can try other numbers to see whether it is true or not
Hope it helps!

Well,this can be directly seen whether last three digits of any no. are divisible by 8.
EG : for same no : 1936, 936/8=117 => 1936 is divisible by 8

Let's take another no 7992, 992/8=124 => 7992 is divisible by 8.

So,you're getting your answer in 1 step and I think you don't need to memorize a lot for it :)

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 18:56
Expert's post
Good one imk...:) Kudos man...!

Hope it'll work out for all the relevant aspects for the series of even/odd Consecutive integers with Even no. of elements of course!

Btw, if you know any other shortcuts, could you please come up with those & help the Club..!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 11:58
bb wrote:
Fantastic question :!:

This file should give you an idea where you are lacking.
I think you should definitely know the squares from 0-10 and preferrably from 10 to 20 as well.

I am wondering if there is an error with the file that I downloaded. It just had random fractions and percentages, with no solutions to memorize! Why do I have the feeling I am missing something really obvious? :idea: :?:
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3616

Kudos [?]: 28966 [0], given: 2874

Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 23:26
Expert's post
sns wrote:
bb wrote:

I think you should definitely know the squares from 0-10 and preferrably from 10 to 20 as well.

I am wondering if there is an error with the file that I downloaded. It just had random fractions and percentages, with no solutions to memorize! Why do I have the feeling I am missing something really obvious? :idea: :?:

Yes, answers are not given. You can get them yourself and memorize, though not everything in this doc is worth memorizing.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 186

Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 13:42
bb,
you are great! :)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9470 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 15:15
Expert's post
sns wrote:
bb wrote:

This is intended as a test - can you answer them right off the bat or quickly.... or are you wasting your time on these every day simple calculations.
This was my personal list and it may be slightly different for you. Bunuel seems to have his own - I'd love to see it 8-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 06:35
You know what, we have the same problem, I search it on the internet that's why I ended up here in you post.And Im very glad because I found the answer from the comments.
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 683

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 00:26
Well, I have been looking at some vedic maths and thought of putting it for everyone here..

Starting with multiplying.....We all know what is 40*50 ie. 2000. Now what s 55 *45....we need time correct...there is easier way for such question type where the unit digit is 5 and ten's digit are consecutive nos..For ex 1,2, or 3, 4 or 4,5 etc

Coming back to current problem.... 55*45
Step 1 : Keep as the last 2 nos of the product XX75
Step 2: Square the larger of the 2 ten's digit no.
In this case it is 5 and square is 25.
Step 3: Subtract 1 from 25 = 24
Ans will be 2475

Try any nos for eg. 25*35 will be 875 by same logic. For practice try these 95*85 or 65*75 or 135*125 (You can figure out the answers by calculator) and if you a problem, please post it here.

Similarly for squares of nos upto 60 can be easily calculated. ( I assume you know squares from 30-40 and obviously before 30) and using this method you can find squares of nos from 40 to 60 easily...Beyond this it is all about practice.

okay------->
Lets start...what is 53^2
Now we can always do it by making (50+3)^2 and simplify....Well I give another trick and you can figure out in less than 15 seconds

Step 1: 53 is 3 more than 50 and so the unit digit will be 3^2 which is 09
XX09

Step 2: Now 5^2 + unit digit will be the first 2 digits of this number. In this case it will be 28

Consider another problem 58^2. Lets apply the same steps

1. 8^2 = 64 so we have XX64 because 58 is 8 more than 50
2. 5^2 +8= 33 so we have 3364

You can do it same way for nos greater than 60 also find it. For ex 65^2

1. 65 -----------> 65 is 15 more than 50 so 15^2 = 225.......keep the last 2 digits only xx25
2. Now 5^2 =25+15= 40
3. Add 2 from 225 and we get 4225

Try these nos 56^2 or 67^2
For nos less than 50...

What is the square of of 46^2

Step 1: Now 46 is 4 less than 50 so the nos will be XX16
Step 2: Now 5^ 2 is 25 and subtracting 4 from 25 we get 21.
So 46^2 will be 2116

What is 39^2 ??

Step 1: Square of 11(Cause 39 is 11 less than 50) is 121 and so Last 2 digits will 21 and so we have XX 21
Step 2: 5^2 -11 (Because 39 is 11 less than 50) we get 14 and add 1
We get 1521.....

try 43^2 or 48^2, 37^2

I hope you find them useful...Will put one on finding square of larger nos such as 101, 109, 119 etc.....

Happy gmating everyone :wink:

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 01:48
AtifS wrote:
Guys! I just found another way of checking whether a number is divisible by 8 or not ( the rule is same but another approach or route ). It's for a number with more than two digits.

Let's take 1936
1) First of all check whether last two digits of the number are divisible by 4 or not.
For 1936, we do this way 36/4=9

2) If it is divisible by 4 then add the quotient to the 3rd last digit of the number and if the sum of them is divisible by 2 then the whole number is divisible by 8.

--> 9 (quotient)+ 9 ( 3rd digit from right)= 18, and -->18/2=9
So the whole number is divisible by 8.

Once you understand it and do a little practice, you'll find it easy and fast.
**You can try other numbers to see whether it is true or not
Hope it helps!

if you just check whether the last 3 digits are divisible by 8 would become more easier rather then dividing it twice.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GRE 1: 1380 Q780 V600
GPA: 4
WE: Management Consulting (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 34

CAT Tests
What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2014, 13:01
I found this post a little too late but agree with bb that there are set number of things that everyone must know, out cold, by test day. This can save valuable time and give you opportunity to spend more time analyzing and solving questions rather than doing mundane computations.

Till 2 weeks back, I only knew tables up to to 10. The day and age we live in, I never felt the need. I either have excel or a calculator handy on my smart phone. These are habits one has to develop so I started putting together a Brain Dump sheet. I have roughly 30 print-outs on my desk, and first thing I do when I get to work is take 5 minutes to fill them out. Initially it will be difficult, but start by breaking them down into smaller sections till you have average proficiency.

You might want to add first 100 prime numbers to the list attached.

2 3 5 7
11 13 17 19
23 29
31 37
41 43 47
53 59
61 67
71 73 79
83 89

Learning aid:
2x, 5x and 8x are similar.
3x, 6x are similar
4x and 7x are similar.

bb wrote:

Attachments

File comment: Quant Braindump
Quant Braindump 3.PDF [226.68 KiB]
Downloaded 16 times

To download please login or register as a user

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-04-2014

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

What arithmetic should I memorize? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 03:46
Hi,

I've created an excel file I use to test myself on a daily basis to hopefully strengthen my basics while studying for the exam. It tests 20x20 multiplication and some of the the common powers, roots, fractions etc. that bb included in his doc.

Just thought I'd share incase there are others that might find it useful.

Cheers
Rupert
Attachments

Daily Maths Basics.xlsm [31.25 KiB]
Downloaded 19 times

To download please login or register as a user

What arithmetic should I memorize?   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2014, 03:46