Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What can I do in the next 2-4 years to help my chances? MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

What can I do in the next 2-4 years to help my chances? MBA [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 23:37
Okay, so I have a spotted past that I feel will ultimately determine my chances at getting into an excellent MBA program.

Last edited by xolin on 16 Feb 2013, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: What can I do in the next 2-4 years to help my chances? MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 21:51
Expert's post
xolin wrote:
Okay, so I have a spotted past that I feel will ultimately determine my chances at getting into an excellent MBA program.

The short story:

The short story is that I screwed up my initial undergrad with a mixture of rebellious rock band touring, health issues, caring for family members and awful financial issues. I then worked at a dumbed-down job (supervisory management position at Canadian Airport equivalent to TSA) for 2 years after hitting my lowest point. I then re-enrolled in a third-tier university BBA program (will be the quickest one to complete as I can do 4 year-program in 2.5 years). I now have a management internship position at a start-up national non-profit. I am easily getting 90s in the program while still working my job for pay and at the unpaid managerial position at the non-profit as well as taking part in business student case study competitions. I have also privately tutored under-priviledged high school students in Calculus, English, and the Sciences either pro-bono or on a sliding-scale for 8 years because I actually give a damn and don't usually mention this.

Anyway, I got a 680 on my first cold practice-GMAT (computerized) and I was half asleep after overnight midterm studying. I know I am easily capable of 710+ on the GMAT and my GPA will likely approach 4.0.

The long-story (if you want it):

Essentially, I began my undergrad in 2003 in the Life Sciences at the University of Toronto. I went into it with high expectations as I was a science fiend and had developed and led a research project at the Ontario Cancer Institute for a biotechnology challenge while in my senior year of high school.

I did not have success at undergrad for a slew of reasons, including caring for my sick parent, financial turmoil, and rebelling against the pressure to do this program by playing/touring in rock/metal bands.

I was at U of T on and off from 2003-2009, culminating in unaddressed personal health problems finally taking their toll.

I had terrible grades by my standards at U of T, with a 3.33 GPA (mostly boosted by 4.0s in Latin, Greek, and, for some odd reason, Pharmacology courses) since I would usually be able to do only two thirds of any coursework I was given. This does not include 2.5 years of part-time study that was withdrawal (dropping out due to health or band-touring purposes).

During my studies and up until 2010, I toured in metal and rock bands. They were successful in their genres, with one getting US and Canadian national magazine coverage before dying away due to internal conflicts. I did much of the PR,marketing and other logistics for these bands.

Then, in 2010, I had a life-changing experience and I came to my senses. I got back to work (promoted twice in 1.5 years to management) to get enough money to get the quickest BBA I could find. I knew I was interested in business and, since I knew U of T life sciences were immensely more challenging than business or commerce (I've seen and practiced with exams from my peers in Ivey or Rotman commerce programs), I have found smooth sailing in this program and a lot more engagement. I could get promoted to Operations Manager at my work, but I find that such a waste of my potential.

Anyways, I'm looking for some direction. My interests are hardly setfast, but likely include social impact and international positions in for-profits.
Consultancy in international development for a couple of years would also be a stepping stone goal as I love following advances in microfinance. This may not be where I end up as I may opt for social impact for-profit, but I figure it's a good consistent track to have heading into an MBA.
I have no clue what I would even be on the radar for in terms of MBA programs, though.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Quite a story. To improve your chances of acceptance at a good bschool, you need to:

1) Get a good full-time job that is related to what you may want to do post-MBA.
2) Ace the GMAT.
3) Take on leadership roles off the job since you will probably be the junior person when you start.

Your 3.3 isn't so bad, but a string of withdrawals will need explanation.

You might find my book helpful: MBA Admissions for Smarties

Best,
Linda
Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: What can I do in the next 2-4 years to help my chances? MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 11:35
UPDATE:
So, I've got a 4.0 for the first 2 years of an undergraduate business program (fast-tracked 4 consecutive semesters May 2012-August 2013) and am transferring to the Ivey Business School's HBA (undergraduate version of MBA) program this fall.
I work for a digital start-up out of Germany leading their North American entry.
I revamped the student life on my previous campus, forming a new business council and several societies.
I am aiming for consulting as well as launching or expanding start-ups.
Also, I got a 760 (Q50, V42) on the GMAT.

Thanks for the advice, Linda!
Accepted.com wrote:
xolin wrote:

The short story:

The short story is that I screwed up my initial undergrad with a mixture of rebellious rock band touring, health issues, caring for family members and awful financial issues. I then worked at a dumbed-down job (supervisory management position at Canadian Airport equivalent to TSA) for 2 years after hitting my lowest point. I then re-enrolled in a third-tier university BBA program (will be the quickest one to complete as I can do 4 year-program in 2.5 years). I now have a management internship position at a start-up national non-profit. I am easily getting 90s in the program while still working my job for pay and at the unpaid managerial position at the non-profit as well as taking part in business student case study competitions. I have also privately tutored under-priviledged high school students in Calculus, English, and the Sciences either pro-bono or on a sliding-scale for 8 years because I actually give a damn and don't usually mention this.

Anyway, I got a 680 on my first cold practice-GMAT (computerized) and I was half asleep after overnight midterm studying. I know I am easily capable of 710+ on the GMAT and my GPA will likely approach 4.0.

Essentially, I began my undergrad in 2003 in the Life Sciences at the University of Toronto. I went into it with high expectations as I was a science fiend and had developed and led a research project at the Ontario Cancer Institute for a biotechnology challenge while in my senior year of high school.

I did not have success at undergrad for a slew of reasons, including caring for my sick parent, financial turmoil, and rebelling against the pressure to do this program by playing/touring in rock/metal bands.

I was at U of T on and off from 2003-2009, culminating in unaddressed personal health problems finally taking their toll.

I had terrible grades by my standards at U of T, with a 3.33 GPA (mostly boosted by 4.0s in Latin, Greek, and, for some odd reason, Pharmacology courses) since I would usually be able to do only two thirds of any coursework I was given. This does not include 2.5 years of part-time study that was withdrawal (dropping out due to health or band-touring purposes).

During my studies and up until 2010, I toured in metal and rock bands. They were successful in their genres, with one getting US and Canadian national magazine coverage before dying away due to internal conflicts. I did much of the PR,marketing and other logistics for these bands.

Then, in 2010, I had a life-changing experience and I came to my senses. I got back to work (promoted twice in 1.5 years to management) to get enough money to get the quickest BBA I could find. I knew I was interested in business and, since I knew U of T life sciences were immensely more challenging than business or commerce (I've seen and practiced with exams from my peers in Ivey or Rotman commerce programs), I have found smooth sailing in this program and a lot more engagement. I could get promoted to Operations Manager at my work, but I find that such a waste of my potential.

Anyways, I'm looking for some direction. My interests are hardly setfast, but likely include social impact and international positions in for-profits.
Consultancy in international development for a couple of years would also be a stepping stone goal as I love following advances in microfinance. This may not be where I end up as I may opt for social impact for-profit, but I figure it's a good consistent track to have heading into an MBA.
I have no clue what I would even be on the radar for in terms of MBA programs, though.

Quite a story. To improve your chances of acceptance at a good bschool, you need to:

1) Get a good full-time job that is related to what you may want to do post-MBA.
2) Ace the GMAT.
3) Take on leadership roles off the job since you will probably be the junior person when you start.

Best,
Linda
Best,
Linda
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: What can I do in the next 2-4 years to help my chances? MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 22:03
Expert's post
xolin wrote:
UPDATE:
So, I've got a 4.0 for the first 2 years of an undergraduate business program (fast-tracked 4 consecutive semesters May 2012-August 2013) and am transferring to the Ivey Business School's HBA (undergraduate version of MBA) program this fall.
I work for a digital start-up out of Germany leading their North American entry.
I revamped the student life on my previous campus, forming a new business council and several societies.
I am aiming for consulting as well as launching or expanding start-ups.
Also, I got a 760 (Q50, V42) on the GMAT.

Thanks for the advice, Linda!
Accepted.com wrote:
xolin wrote:

The short story:

2) Ace the GMAT.

Best,
Linda
Best,
Linda

Impressive! thanks for posting the update. And congratulations!

You're well on your way and have used your time very well. Glad I was able to help.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog