Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What did/will you do with your car during school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 10:15
I will store mine or park it at a friend's house most likely.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 12:34
If I end up in Boston, my car will go to my little bro :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 18:44
I'll take mine to school!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 09:36
I think I will continue to have one of my two cars.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 06:29
I thought I'd revive this older thread now that people have a better idea where they might be headed next fall. I am in the process of transferring my lease, so I will officially be car-less! I'm having some difficulty talking my wife out of having a car while we are in Chicago. It's difficult convincing a person who has always relied on one that she won't need it (not to mention being car-less would be less expensive, and easier).
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 06:37
My fiancee sold our car so she can buy a jetski for SF bay while she is in bschool....

Sigh....

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 07:06
ninkorn wrote:
My fiancee sold our car so she can buy a jetski for SF bay while she is in bschool....

Sigh....

Does your fiance know how cold SF bay is? Was it Twain who wrote, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 07:09
MeddlingKid wrote:
Does your fiance know how cold SF bay is? Was it Twain who wrote, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

She has this idea that SF will be warm all year long (well, at least compared to NYC...)

If it is indeed cold as you suggested, then :twisted:

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 07:19
ninkorn wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:

She has this idea that SF will be warm all year long (well, at least compared to NYC...)

If it is indeed cold as you suggested, then :twisted:

Well, the temperature will be warmer than NYC during the winter-time, no doubt. But the fog rolls into SF bay during the summer, and keeps the city chilly for a large part of the day. The water in both the bay and the ocean, much like many of the beaches in Northern California, are pretty cold compared to their Southern California counterparts. I've seen surfers in SF wearing full wetsuits during the summertime.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 07:34
MeddlingKid wrote:
I thought I'd revive this older thread now that people have a better idea where they might be headed next fall. I am in the process of transferring my lease, so I will officially be car-less! I'm having some difficulty talking my wife out of having a car while we are in Chicago. It's difficult convincing a person who has always relied on one that she won't need it (not to mention being car-less would be less expensive, and easier).

How'd you manage to transfer the lease? I talked to my leasing company and they all but laughed in my face when I asked about options for getting myself out of my lease before it ends.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago (Ding w/Interview), Kellogg(Ding), Darden (Int), NYU (Rd 2), USC (Rd 2)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 07:44
Unlike most of you I may need to buy a car if I leave Chicago for Charlottesville...A Jeep Wrangler is sounding pretty sweet. I always wanted a Wrangler since it takes the convertible up a notch with the removable doors. If anything I'll fit in better in the whole college town atmosphere.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 07:51
Jerz wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:

How'd you manage to transfer the lease? I talked to my leasing company and they all but laughed in my face when I asked about options for getting myself out of my lease before it ends.

Most car companies should allow you to transfer your lease. You could always contact a website like Leasetrader or Swapalease to determine whether a transfer is possible for your company. We basically had the new party fill out a credit app to ensure she qualifies for the lease payment, and once approved, they send over the forms that need to be filled out by the old and new "owner". When the transfer is confirmed by the company, the new person goes down to DMV to register the car, and the deal is done. The whole process takes from 3-4 weeks.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 07:53
24 wrote:
Unlike most of you I may need to buy a car if I leave Chicago for Charlottesville...A Jeep Wrangler is sounding pretty sweet. I always wanted a Wrangler since it takes the convertible up a notch with the removable doors. If anything I'll fit in better in the whole college town atmosphere.

Wranglers are sweet. Some of my most fond summertime memories are driving around with my friend in his Jeep Wrangler with the doors off. It's surprisingly relaxing. Make sure you keep a maintenance fund for the Jeep, though. :wink:
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 76385

Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 03:43
I'm keeping my car! I don't think I could live without my car.. as environmentally bad as that sounds. The nature of my husband's job requires him to have a car, and we plan to live in an area in Chicago that will require driving to campus. I think I'm mostly scared about driving in the snow, I'm from DC.. we don't know how to drive in the snow here so we just don't go to work and cancel school :).
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 06:37
olive wrote:
I think I'm mostly scared about driving in the snow, I'm from DC.. we don't know how to drive in the snow here so we just don't go to work and cancel school :).

Driving in the snow is real easy. Just floor the gas and make drastic movements with the steering wheel. :twisted:

I'm on the fence about keeping my car. I certainly wouldn't mind saving the money I'd otherwise use on lease payments and insurance, but since I turned 17 I've always had a car. I don't know how I'd feel without one.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 16:05
Unfortunately, I might need to sell my car since it has a year of payments left. Addiitonally, the costs such as gas , insurance, registration etc will cut into my savings. And of course si nce I have positive equity on my car, thats extra money in savings for school.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 20:35
olive wrote:
I'm keeping my car! I don't think I could live without my car.. as environmentally bad as that sounds. The nature of my husband's job requires him to have a car, and we plan to live in an area in Chicago that will require driving to campus. I think I'm mostly scared about driving in the snow, I'm from DC.. we don't know how to drive in the snow here so we just don't go to work and cancel school :).

I'd be mostly scared about the road salt eating away at my car. :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 08:17
I'm going to be driving my car home and leaving it w/ the folks. I feel like keeping it in Chicago is just not worth it - you have to pay for parking at school/building, deal w/ car maintenance, etc. I'd rather save the money and use it towards more frequent use of cabs if needed.
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 08:25
My wifey has an SUV which will be great in snowy Ithaca, so thats a def keeper. I just have a little Scion TC that I bought during my first year out of college. I might just take my Scion into a field and burn it.

"George is getting upset!"

Current Student
Schools: Ross '11

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 16:19
Planning to sell mine at the end of the summer - don't think I'll need one at Ross.
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school?   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2009, 16:19