Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What did/will you do with your car during school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 10:10
My wife and I are planning on going from two cars to one when we go back for the MBA. Did any of you guys have to do anything like get rid of a car lease before school started? I'm thinking about finding a new leasee for my car sooner rather than later. I'm kind of excited at the prospect of not having a car for a change!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 10:13
I wasn't really thinking ahead when I bought a new car about six months ago. I plan on selling it sometime next spring/summer and, like you, look forward to going car-less for a while :)

p.s. i find irony in the fact that i may lose money on my condo and make money on my car...
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 10:19
TL wrote:
I wasn't really thinking ahead when I bought a new car about six months ago. I plan on selling it sometime next spring/summer and, like you, look forward to going car-less for a while :)

p.s. i find irony in the fact that i may lose money on my condo and make money on my car...

That is ironic! When I leased my car, I was on the CFA track and wanted/but didn't think I would necessarily need my MBA for the road I was headed down. When I go back to school, I will have six months left on the lease but it'd probably be easier to get rid of it now with 17 months remaining and a buttload of available miles. I guess I'm going to have to get it all spiffed up this weekend and ready to show to potential leasees.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 10:33
Ideally I would like to attend a school where a car isn't necessary. In that case I would get rid of mine, put a lot of stuff in storage, and fly out carless.

If its a place where a car is necessary, I guess I would drive out with everything loaded up.

I wouldn't put my car in storage for 2 years. Then again it's only worth about $3000
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 10:41
Tarmac wrote:
Ideally I would like to attend a school where a car isn't necessary.

brings up an interesting question of which schools are the most car-less friendly. berkeley and tuck immediately come to mind for me...
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 10:50
TL wrote:
Tarmac wrote:
Ideally I would like to attend a school where a car isn't necessary.

brings up an interesting question of which schools are the most car-less friendly. berkeley and tuck immediately come to mind for me...

Add Columbia and NYU to your list. Also, my gf didn't have a car during her first year of law school in Ann Arbor.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 11:09
I am trying to sell mine on craigslist now. FYI, they market for used cars $#@&@. People are not willing to make any purchases in this market.....everyone is sitting on their cash.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 11:21
I presume you don't need a car at Wharton or Chicago. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Not sure about Kellogg

At Stanford, many grad students go carless so it can be done, but most do have a car.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 12:24
I'm hoping that I can sell it and use the money towards tuition. However, this is the absolute least of my worries as I'm working through applications and selecting schools.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 15:17
Captain wrote:
I am trying to sell mine on craigslist now. FYI, they market for used cars $#@&@. People are not willing to make any purchases in this market.....everyone is sitting on their cash.

that is, unless you are selling a prius ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 16:28
I plan to keep it.Will be useful for errands.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 16:33
fall09 wrote:
I plan to keep it.Will be useful for errands.

Same here.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 16:44
You definitely don't need a car at Kellogg. I think its much more common for couples to have them since a significant other may need one for work and they just simplify running errands. Also people who aren't from cities and had cars are much more likely to bring one. I dont know of anyone buying a car when they got here except for a few international couples. A lot of the places were couples live also have parking spaces included in the rent so its not so tough.

I seem to recall when I researched Chicago being told lots of students choose to have cars because they drive to school from where they live.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 17:25
Too soon to tell...if I get into a school in Chicago, Boston or Phil I might leave the car in the parents' garage. Else, I'll keep the car. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 20:31
I think Boston would be any easy place to get by without a car.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 02:16
I'd LOVE to have a car if I go to school in any city other than NY or London. When I visited Chicago - my friend, a current student at GSB, had a car. She lived in the city but just liked the convenience of having one. Also, I feel that owning a car totally adds to the "discovery" experience of a new city / country culture. For me this just means - sell honda civic here and buy honda civic there :)
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 09:53
I'm hoping to end up at a car school because I just bought a new one :-D

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 11:07
You do not need a car at Chicago GSB. A large contingent of students live in the Downtown/Millenium Park area and they are able to take the Metra train to the GSB campus, and take the El/cabs everywhere else in the city. A car is an unnecessary expense for those that live in the downtown area.

If you select to live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Bucktown, etc. you can still get by without a car, but it will be more convenient to have one.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 23:29
bsd_lover wrote:
Also, I feel that owning a car totally adds to the "discovery" experience of a new city / country culture. For me this just means - sell honda civic here and buy honda civic there :)

You can always change to a Honda Civic coupe here in the USA, for something new!

Agreed, though -- I do happen to be a major car enthusiast, but I can't remember the last time I haven't owned a car, including when living abroad. For one thing, I always enjoyed experiencing "typical" cars in each country, even if petrol and other costs made it a more expensive proposition. And it always makes for good stories, like the time I used my subpar Japanese skills to somehow convince the police not to give me a speeding ticket on a Tokyo-area expressway. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: What did/will you do with your car during school? [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 01:46
Life without a car will be tough. Ive been driving (used to steal... i mean borrow my dad car back then and sneak out) since I was 15.
Re: What did/will you do with your car during school?   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2008, 01:46