Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 16:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 19 May 2009, 18:30
my apologies if this has already been asked before. but i thought mba schools only look at ur highest gmat score if uve taken it multiple times. but i just googled and came across this? any ideas? is this actually true?

Q: How do the B-schools process GMAT scores of applicants who have repeated the test?

A: First of all, your three most recent sets of GMAT scores are reported to the B-schools to whom you direct your score report. So if you take the GMAT a fourth time, scores from your first GMAT are dropped from your score report. Of course, if a school is sent a score report after your first three tests, then sent another report after your fourth test, the school will have all four sets of GMAT scores in its file. But the schools generally don’t consider scores that are not on an applicant’s current report.

Each B-school establishes its own policy for processing multiple GMAT scores. The most common policy is to average multiple scores. (Quantitative, Verbal, Combined Q/V, and Writing scores are each averaged separately.) A minority of schools will disregard all but your highest scores. (Again, Quantitative, Verbal, Combined Q/V, and Writing scores are each considered separately.) A few schools have adopted a hybrid approach, whereby they average scores from multiple tests unless there is a large enough discrepancy between scores—in which case they look only at your highest score. In any event, most B-schools disregard GMAT scores that are more than five years old.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1978

Kudos [?]: 6402 [0], given: 3564

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 19 May 2009, 23:19
Expert's post
This is correct in general but maybe wrong in specific situations.

If you have multiple scores or considering re-taking GMAT, check with your schools - that's all that really matters. Adcoms will provide you with their approach to multiple GMAT scores. Alternatively, you can post in the proper threads for each of the schools in the MBA Forum and I am sure you will get the info from the current admits.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

2 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 68 [2] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
I can't say what schools in general think of multiple GMAT attempts, but I know that I hadn't any kind of problems with Wharton because of this. And I could say the same for Cambridge Judge... During the application process for these two schools nobody ever mentioned four GMAT attempts that I had.

Reading other members experience throughout this forum I've learn't that Wharton is extremelly tolerant to multiple scores and that they will use only your highest in evaluation of your application. The old myth that adcoms look unfavourably on the downward trend in your scores (e.g. from 740 to 700) seems incorrect, at least in my case. I had 720 then retook and scored 690 and been admitted to W. I don't know if they looked unfavourably but obviously it haven't destroyed my application. I've heard of some guy who had 13 attemts and enter Wharton in the end. I think I've found that story here, on GMATclub.

Vast majority of the b-schools very explicitly state that they will look only your highest score and AFAIK they mean it.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 23 May 2009, 23:57
Most b-schools will NOT have a problem with this. Why ? because a high average gmat among its class will help the school's rankings. Furthermore, when you put the gmat score on the resume, you will only put your "best scored" attempt (and never the number of attempts). So, if a potential recruiter will only see your best score then why should the school have any problems seeing just your best score and evaluating you on that ?

Having said that, if you do something radical like attempt the GMAT 20 times to hit the elusive 800 mark (when you already have a 700 score), then it might raise a couple of eyebrows about your priorities and maturity.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 26 May 2009, 23:26
That smells like bullsh*t to me.

LSAT/MCAT scores are averaged by virtually all schools, but then again LSAT/MCAT averages are generally higher (ie Ivy Law schools' scores average 99th percentile), so they can be a bit more picky.

In regards to GMAT, from my experience, the highest score is almost always taken. It makes sense-- schools are based on their rankings, which are heavily influenced by their average GMAT scores, and being ranked high equals more applications which equals more $$$$$$, which is what bschool is all about, :) I'm a professional GMAT tutor, and I've seen about 40-50 people be admitted, and virtually all have written the GMAT multiple times (one girl wrote it 7 times I believe). She got into her school of choice, wasn't even asked about it once.

IMO let's just say this-- it's better to write it 5 times and get a 690 somewhere there in than to write it once and get a 590.

Hades

GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 27 May 2009, 10:02
I agree, definitely it's better to take GMAT 5 times and score 700+ in one of the attempts than take it once and score even some good result e.g. 670. I think that near the 700 frontier psychology becommes an important factor. Either you are in the 700+ pile or not...

Personally, I don't like it, simply because I'm sure there is absolutly no difference in academic potential between candidate who scored 710 and one who scored 690, but that's just the way it is...

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 02:54
bsd_lover wrote:
Most b-schools will NOT have a problem with this. Why ? because a high average gmat among its class will help the school's rankings. Furthermore, when you put the gmat score on the resume, you will only put your "best scored" attempt (and never the number of attempts). So, if a potential recruiter will only see your best score then why should the school have any problems seeing just your best score and evaluating you on that ?

Having said that, if you do something radical like attempt the GMAT 20 times to hit the elusive 800 mark (when you already have a 700 score), then it might raise a couple of eyebrows about your priorities and maturity.

Huh....Is it true that we have to put our GMAT scores on resume?.... :roll:
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 6402 [0], given: 3564

Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 12:10
Expert's post
age wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

Huh....Is it true that we have to put our GMAT scores on resume?.... :roll:

Not if that's something you don't want anyone to see :lol:

Some consulting houses use GMAT/GRE/SAT/etc as an easy way to weed out applicants, and do ask for your GMAT score.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 463 [0], given: 523

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 00:13
Huuhh, thanks a lot mates, you really destroyed my fears about the GMAT score. 8-)

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 234

Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 01:42
Folks,

This has been discussed before and IS NOT TRUE.

should-i-take-gmat-the-third-time-82573.html?view-post=619072#p619072

mohater wrote:
Hi phoenix09,

Per GMAC's website:

http://www.gmac.com/gmac/thegmat/gmatscores/

Quote:
An Official GMAT Score Report shows each of these scores; in cases of repeat testing, the score report will show all of the test taker's GMAT scores for the past five years.

As long as a score is still within the 5 year window, it will show up on the score report to the schools.

The school will receive all your scores and your score cancellations as long as the test was written in the last five years.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 463 [1] , given: 523

Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 03:00
This post received
KUDOS
:evil:
this is exactly what I knew before about the GMAT scores....

my first attempt is amazingly low.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 348 [1] , given: 234

Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 03:14
This post received
KUDOS
Pkit wrote:

There is no issue with taking the GMAT 2,3, maybe even 4 times.

Some people go 5,6 all the way to 10 times. At that point, schools will likely think one is score hunting.

Don't worry about one bad test. Give prep its due time and improve. Taking it twice will NOT affect your viability as a candidate.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 13:08
Hi mates,

my two cents on this matter

as long as you can support each test taking, go ahead with it

in other words, if you can prove that you are not a score hunter, you will not be penalized. However, if you spend your salary in taking exams just looking for the case you're lucky that day... man, you're dead

Regards

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 6402 [1] , given: 3564

Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Pkit wrote:

Slightly off-topic, but you may want to visit this thread: calling-all-cis-xussr-mba-applicants-84818.html?view-post=637421#p637421

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 06:17
Giving myself a ceiling of three - I think that should be reasonable for most people...
Stanford Thread Master
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 02:17
I am also writing Gmat 3rd time and I think that it depends on the school on how they interpret the scores.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 23:58
My first score is 480. It's my first attempt at it. I feel ill during the exam and scored Q36 V20. Nw I intend to retake it in a month, but i dont know if my low score would affect my chances even if i get 740 the next time, i however called the business school and they said they only consider the score added to the application.
GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 234

Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 02:02
Locked. This thread is simply adding more misinformation.

Re: what do b-schools think of multiple gmat scores   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2010, 02:02