Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
31 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 584 [31] , given: 114

What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
1. They don’t choke on test day
It might surprise many of you to find out how many people actually score worse on test day than on many of their practice tests. This is most likely due to test day anxiety, fatigue, or flat out bad or incorrect preparation. On the other hand there is also a group of people that score significantly higher under the pressure of test day. There are many 700 clubbers who get their wings in this fashion. For instance, I only scored a 690 on my highest practice test, but 710 on test day. How many stories have you heard of people with all 700 practice test scores but a 650 on test day? All that matters is getting that 700+ on G-day. I followed these 10-tips to make sure that I could go into the testing center as confident and prepared as possible: 10-tips-to-improve-your-score-app-with-no-extra-studying-124393.html These tips have the ability to take your score to the next level. Don’t let factors YOU can control not let you reach your potential.

2. They work their butts off!
We’ve all come across the “2 days of studying - 790 score” post. Well let me tell you, these stories are very very rare, and personally I don’t believe them much. That’s great that they KILLED the test with NO studying, but it is not realistic for 99.99% of people. Not to mention, we will never know how long they studied for the SAT’s, GRE’s, MCAT’s, etc… Most of the time this person has put the time into studying somewhere else in their life. Don’t let these people get you down or make you forgot how tough this test really is. Most people have to study 100-300 hours for a 700+ or to even reach their goal. I personally studied for about 200 hours over 11 weeks and brought my score up from a 570 diagnostic to a 710 on test day. This is almost 1.5 hours of studying PER point increase. This is not a sprint, but a marathon, and you have to put the time and effort in to kill this test. Slow and steady wins the race.

3. They learn everything there is to know about the GMAT test and strategy
You don’t have to learn every topic, every question type, or get every single question right on test day, but you do need to know about the test and the strategies. In fact, you can score well over 700 with just getting 70-75% of the questions right. How can this be you say? Well, obviously the better you are doing, the tougher questions you get, so you don’t have to answer every questions right. If you get them all right, you are the 800 test taker, and this is reserved from 1 in every 100,000 people. For us regular test takers, we must know when we’re beat. We must move past, and make educated guesses when necessary, and make sure that we get to see every question we can get right. There are going to be a certain amount of questions on test day that you know, and those are the questions you MUST get right. Learn everything about the test, how it’s administered, and how you can take every advantage there is. Every time you make a solid choice, you move ahead of 1000s of other people who forgot about these key points. Read the 10 tips again from above, and apply them in your practicing and on test day. Also, look around the forums and learn about tips and tricks that are available. Also, if you are looking for a company that offers great test taking strategy, I would recommend Kaplan as they are known for their strategies.

4. They have the timing down
The timing in each section is crucial! If you don’t reach the last 5 questions you are easily throwing 50 points away. Also, if you only have 5 minutes for the last 5 questions you are throwing points away. Of on the other side, if you have 15 minutes left at the end of the section, you are throwing points away. You had the opportunity to go back and recheck answers, and get a few more right. Timing is key. Make sure that once you have all the knowledge down that you give timing a lot of thought. It’s so important, and sometimes skipping questions or rechecking answers will put you on track. As a rule of thumb I NEVER went over 3 minutes on any questions, and this was only when I knew that I was going to get the right answers. If you don’t, then you are wasting valuable time for questions at the end that you could have gotten right. If you timing is your issue, read this post front to back: timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

5. And finally, they get involved in the GMATclub.
So you’ve been reading around the forums and see that there are lots of people with 700s. Well, just remember, if you are seeing them, they are active members of the GMATclub community.

So, how do you get involved? Well if you are just starting you GMAT journey
FIRST sign up for a GMATclub account. There are so many benefits, and this is the first place to come when you have a question and no one to turn to. There is so much support here, and a great community feeling.

SECOND start here to start on your GMAT journey. This will tell you everything you need to know about what is out there to help you with your studying: new-to-the-gmat-club-start-here-130870.html

FINALLY come back and learn what these forums have to offer. Look around, post questions or tips, and learn what everyone here has to offer. Come back, and contribute to the community. Sometimes teaching is the best way of learning. If you could absorb every piece of knowledge here, an 800 would be in your future.

If you follow these tips you just might be able to join the 700 club too. Good luck to everyone on test day! If anyone has any other ideas for what all our 700 clubbers have in common, please add!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 12:15
Thanks GMATLA,

Very thoughtful of you. I actually thought of this today and wondered what are the common things among people from 700 club. I agree with everything you have said, even though I have not taken the test yet.

You said how you needed to put in quite a bit of hours. From my perspective, as I am from Eastern Europe, I need to put in considerably more time in GMAT than you did in order to reach the same score. The reason is because I did not have this kind of "studying experience" before. So now, I have to pay the "price" by putting time into studying. I have realized just today that even though it is preferred to study 3-4 months at the most, it may take me longer. It is not that I am a slow learner but the fact that I am falling behind more than most people, especially from the Western world.

It would be nice if other people could pitch in their ideas about this thread.

Anyway, +1 kudos for you.

Set your aims high, carpe diem

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2239

Kudos [?]: 8454 [2] , given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 22:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
My suggestions for international applicants: GMAT Fiction - that's what helped me overcome the RC challenge.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 03:04
I have figured I need to start reading more English books. I am glad there are some reading recommendations on this forum. Thanks!

Set your aims high, carpe diem

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 584 [1] , given: 114

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
So true bb! I am fortunate enough to have English as my first language, but even I made some large improvement just by adding reading into my study plan. For any of the foreign students out there that want to push your verbal score up, definitely take a look into GMAT fiction. Making strides in Verbal is big because verbal will really help to drive your score into that 700+ range!

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
GMATLA,

This summed up my experience nearly perfectly, and caused me to finally post.

1. 660 max (44, 34) on the 5 CATS but under pressure got a 700, 6.0AWA on test day (47,39).
2. 8 hours of studying per week for 4 months. About 160 total. I have no math background (Art History) and my English is terrible (600 on SAT) so I needed to put in some work.
3. About 2 hours per week were learning the test/time on Gmatclub
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 12:09
Great post... another key thing to note (this should go without saying) if you put in 160 hours of QUALITY studying your score will improve. Intense focus for 3 hours where you feel like your brain cannot absorb any more is completely different than 3 hours where you spent half the time texting friends, checking fb and doing anything but reading and absorbing.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 21:20
+1 GMATLA

Thanks for such a motivational and inspirational post.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 584 [0], given: 114

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 11:13
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 36

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 00:07
This is an awesome post. Having just joined this forum, I simply can't imagine beginning my journey without it. Thanks for the positive encouragement.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 07:41
Any idea how you could practice timing? I've built an excel tool displaying total time left for 37 questions, it also automatically calculates the time it took me to answer each question.

But especially when practicing, I don't like to just guess after 2-3 minutes but I feel like its better for me to keep trying to solve the problem, even though it can take up to 7-10 minutes. Obviously, this kind of renders my absolute time measurement obsolete. I suppose on the GMAT it'd be great to know "okay, I'm at question x and ideally, I should still have y minutes left", but how can you really learn those values by heart when you can't really use them for practicing?

Also, do you guys think its really important never to spend more than 2-3 minutes on any question? Sometimes I'm facing questions that I know I can solve, but it may take 3-4 minutes. Other questions are, at times, quite easy and I can easily solve them in 1 - 1.5 minutes - sure I could keep thinking for another minute to really make sure my answer is correct for those easier questions, but in probably 90% of those cases my first answer is indeed the right one. Wouldn't it make sense to spend a little less time on those easy questions then in order to be able to spend 3-4 mins on the heavy ones?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 584 [1] , given: 114

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
Here's a link to a great GMAT timer: gmat-timer-56014.html

Quote:
Any idea how you could practice timing?

There are many things to consider when practicing timing. Here are a few of the basics:
1. Average timing per problem type:
Any Quant: 2 minutes
SC: 90 seconds
RC: 90-120 seconds per question (this INCLUDES reading the passage)
CR: 2 minutes
2. Know what milestones you should be at in each section so that you are "on-time"
3. Read this post on timing: timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Quote:
But especially when practicing, I don't like to just guess after 2-3 minutes but I feel like its better for me to keep trying to solve the problem, even though it can take up to 7-10 minutes. Obviously, this kind of renders my absolute time measurement obsolete. I suppose on the GMAT it'd be great to know "okay, I'm at question x and ideally, I should still have y minutes left", but how can you really learn those values by heart when you can't really use them for practicing?

At the beginning of your studying, you should not be considering timing. You should be considering and learning how to solve problems. It will be OK to spend 7-10 minutes on one problem so you can work through the problem. BUt don't get in this habit on test day. I would take that problem, put it in your error log for review at a later date, and write down what you were thinking and how you could solve this problem in 2 minutes the next time around. Once you start getting closer to test day, you should start really only spending 2-3 minutes per quant problem (and learn the other timing) and make sure to always be timing yourself. NEVER spend more than 3 minutes on any problem. SO you will start learning guessing strategies, b/c on test day you will have to bail on that question. Spending 5 minutes or more on one question could ruin your whole strategy. No one question is worth that effort, b/c you may not get a chance to see 2 or 3 problems that you could have gotten right.

Quote:
Also, do you guys think its really important never to spend more than 2-3 minutes on any question? Sometimes I'm facing questions that I know I can solve, but it may take 3-4 minutes. Other questions are, at times, quite easy and I can easily solve them in 1 - 1.5 minutes - sure I could keep thinking for another minute to really make sure my answer is correct for those easier questions, but in probably 90% of those cases my first answer is indeed the right one. Wouldn't it make sense to spend a little less time on those easy questions then in order to be able to spend 3-4 mins on the heavy ones?

NEVER SPEND MORE THAN 3 MINUTES ON ANY QUESTION. If you get stuck on one question on test day it could ruin you. For every question you spend 2:30 on you have to spend 1:30 on another question. Every question you spend 4 minutes on, you will have to spend 0 time on a another question. DO you see how this starts to get to be a problem? YOU NEVER WANT TO LEAVE YOURSELF less than 1 minute to power through a different question. If you see a proble you know, but will take you more than 3 minutes, you should probably know that this is a CRAZY tough question and spend 1 minute and narrow it down to 2-3 answers and guess. No question is worth all your time. Plus, every question on the GMAT is designed to be solved in 3 minutes or less. You can definitely make educated guesses on test day and score a 700+ plus, it is actually highly recommended. You should spend your time on questions you can get right, and if this means ditching a few questions, it makes perfect sense.

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 11:04
What do they all have in common?

They all scored 700 or higher, obviously :)

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 36

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 11:35
mohater wrote:
What do they all have in common?

They all scored 700 or higher, obviously :)

They're all posters on GMATclub.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 13:29
I think tools such a GRocket are extremely useful. It was a chance discovery for me, but trying to answer questions in a timed environment inculcates the discipline needed for a high score on GMAT.

Apart from this, following are extremely useful:

official guides, gmatclub, MGMAT books, CR bible from powerscore.

A little about my verbal level at the beginning: When I first opened MGMAT SC guide, I read the first three page and then slept for 4 hours to overcome my anxiety as everything went over my head. I bought Painless Grammar from Rebecca Elliot, a book that is prescribed for elementary students. :) If I can improve my English, anyone can do so.

So all the non-native speakers, don't lose heart. English can be improved. Path is there for us, but it's slightly lengthy.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 11:29
That was really a nice post. I wanted to know a thing. I have been browsing through this forum for a past few days and have found that many books available in the market don't provide questions with difficulty level at par or greater than the real test which you need to score 770+. So could anybody tell me some good books for concept building and practicing good questions. I heard Manhattan books were good- some of them.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 16:23
I plan on becoming part of this 700+ club. I'm starting points 2 3 4 and 5 today! Hopefully if I master those point 1 will come naturally :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 10:46
Great post! Thank you!!

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 09:17
Good post............

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 04:23
This post received
KUDOS
I have colleagues who have reached 700, 730 and one who reached 750, and they all said the same things about quant...

1. Know the foundations of the maths *cold*. There are a lot of topics to get familiar with, however the foundations are actually pretty straight forward. Develop a confident knowledge base to draw from.

2. Go hard. Each of them went full on at their studies. Social events, movies, drinking all went on the backburner. They had strong drive to master the GMAT, which kept them going when they had to tough it out on little sleep. **slightly worried that the term "go hard" could be a bit of an Aussie saying. Hoping you all know what I mean.

3. They all did different prep courses and the choice didn't matter so much... the common theme was that they all came to understand why the OG is considered the bible. They did question after question after question, they reviewed how the OG got the answers, they kept records of their errors so they could work on their weaknesses.

4. They worked on timing, and knew when to strategically guess.

For study time, the common theme was three months or four months solid.

Hope this helps!
Re: What do GMATclub’s 700 clubbers have in common?   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2012, 04:23