Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What do I want to do? What can I do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

What do I want to do? What can I do? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 05:16
- I'm a CPA (auditor), and have a solid background in accounting/finance. I have also worked on business valuations.
- I do not want to be in the financial reporting function for the rest of my life. There is little decision making capability and it leaves me feeling unrewarded.
- I also do not want to throw my CPA designation away and try to totally change career paths, as I worked VERY hard to achieve it, and the skills I've developed are extremely crucial in ANY industry and in any position.
- I want to stay on the technical side of things until I can become a true "manager". But will being on the technical side of things (such as an analyst) prohibit me from getting future management positions?
- I want to be involved in strategic issues, be it in analysis of possible transactions, risk management, or something of that nature. I feel like that taking this path will allow me to enhance my decision making capabilities and become a leader.

It boils down to: I want to remain in a technical or partially technical capacity, however, I don't want to be a drone (as I often feel like in public accounting). I want to be able to make decisions or at least be on track to a position in which I will be making decisions/recommendations or be in charge of projects such as make/buy decisions, expansions, valuations, etc.... I know I've been fairly vague, but what job in the corporate world somewhat fits these characteristics? I'm trying to get away from "I want to manage", and develop a more precise idea of what I want.

---- Also, coming from such a quant heavy background, is it legit for me to say that part of the reason I'm seeking an MBA is to further develop my qualitative abilities like managing people/teams, strategic thinking, marketing, etc... Kind of like, "I have the quantitative abilities necessary, now I'm looking to 'round out' my talents"?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: What do I want to do? What can I do? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 08:54
Sounds like you want a CFO role. Such a role in a growing medium size company could be interesting.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: What do I want to do? What can I do? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 09:35
I am in accounting industry too, and yes, CFO is the designation you are looking for. I wish you best of luck in finding what are you looking for.

Adding Fractions

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: What do I want to do? What can I do? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 06:32
Thanks for the responses. I'm positive that a CFO position matches my aspirations, however, I can't exactly state that on my admissions applications. I don't want to seem like a pipe dreamer. Would stating that I want a position in corporate finance in my selected industy(ies) be a seemingly legitimate post-MBA goal to state in essays?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: What do I want to do? What can I do? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 07:38
Why can't you state that you want to be a CFO in your applications? To live is to dream. Besides, some people have much crazier aspirations.
Re: What do I want to do? What can I do?   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2011, 07:38