Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What do you do in your free time?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

What do you do in your free time? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 12:28
I'm a few years out from applying to b-school, but I'm mulling over how I can develop extracurriculars that admissions officers would find impressive.

Aside from non-profit/volunteerism, what do schools look favorably upon? When you aren't at work, how do you use your free time?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: What do you do in your free time? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 13:03
sludge wrote:
I'm a few years out from applying to b-school, but I'm mulling over how I can develop extracurriculars that admissions officers would find impressive.

Aside from non-profit/volunteerism, what do schools look favorably upon? When you aren't at work, how do you use your free time?

Girls, baseball, Sabermetrics, working out
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What do you do in your free time? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 15:14
sludge wrote:

Aside from non-profit/volunteerism, what do schools look favorably upon?

Lead an expedition to the top of Mount Everest. Introduce a new technology that will save a small village in a third world country. Adopt an orphan (this will really show your maturity). Win a gold medal in the next Olympics. This kind of thing.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 19:06
First of all, please don't do something you hate. It's so not worth it.

Second, consider your profile. This is probably a little hard, but you want to appear to be well-rounded, interesting, and a person who gets along with others - a joiner.

Does your sales/marketing job make you look like an outgoing person with no hard skills? Start an investment club with friends.

Are you a no-risks bean-counter? Take up rock climbing.

Unique is good. Leadership is good. Impact is good. Drinking beer with your pals, watching reruns of Friends, reading Danielle Steele novels: not so good.
VP
VP
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 21:33
aaudetat wrote:
Drinking beer with your pals, watching reruns of Friends, reading Danielle Steele novels: not so good.

brilliantly put, AAu!

I agree with the rest of your proposal, as well, to the OP: don't do anything you hate, just because it may look well in the app. Just do something that makes sense to you, but at the same time shows you are capable of deferring satisfaction.

L.
  [#permalink] 08 Jun 2007, 21:33