Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 14:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What do you make out of this ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
What do you make out of this ? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

I have been a GMAT Club member for almost 2 months now and think that is the best GMAT forum I have seen so far. Today, I want your opinions, feedback and any inputs on my performance so far. The reason is that I am planning to schedule my GMAT after 3 weeks from now and want to be absolutely sure that I am ready for it. So here are some details of how and what I prepared and my scores in some tests that I have taken.

History : I took my first official GMAT in Jan 2005 and scored a moderate 660 (Q48, V36). Was not happy with it then but did not have time to redo the entire exercise immediately. Early, this year, I decided to fight back and started preparing only in the month of April. But my preparation till July end was with lot of breaks sometimes as long as 15 days. I have been regular only since last week of July.

I completed the OG 11th edition (whole of it). I did exercises from Powerprep's Cracking the GMAT and Kaplan. I knew my weak area was Verbal and really had to focus on it. To tell you frankly, even now, I think I have hardly prepared for Maths. For verbal, I have referred to numerous questions on GMAT Club, GMAT Sets and 1000 questions. I have also referred to MGMAT material and solved their tests.

1) 07/29 - The first full length test I solved was Kaplan diagnostic test from Kaplan book.
- 650 (Q45, V39)

2) 08/01 - I happened to have 800 Score verbal and maths test. I solved their first verbal test and got a scaled score of 40.(31 out of 41 correct and 91 percentile) . I realized it hardly matched the actual GMAT and decided not to solve any more of their tests.

3) 08/16 - Princeton online CAT 1 - Total score 640 (Q48, V31)

4) 08/19 - GMATPrep CAT 1 - Total Score 680 (Q49, V34)

I really geared up after the GMAT Prep. Decided enough is enough. I accelerated my preparation. Solved many SCs from 1000 SCs. Purchased Manhattan SC book and used a lot of concepts from it. I started seeing some improvement in my SCs.

3) 08/26 - With lot of hopes, I gave the Kaplan CAT 1 on the CD. I scored a devastating 600. I realized how crappy Kaplan was not only because how unrealistic their scoring was but also because how specious were some of the explanations they provided.

4) 08/28 - Back to Princeton online CAT2- Score didnt change. Total score was 640 but verbal score went down and maths went up. Q50, V28. I realized one more thing, Princeton maths was definitely much more easier that real GMAT and they penalized way to high for any incorrect questions in both verbal and maths. But since their verbal level of difficulty level appeared to be close to real GMAT, I decided to try their next test in a few days and meanwhile build my verbal armory

So days went my and I solved many more GMAT Club questions, GMAT sets, brutal SCs(they were just like their name, brutal), 1000CRs.

4) 09/11 - MGMAT CAT 1: I kept the time same 75 mins for Q and 75 mins for verbal.. Total score 630(Q43, V33). I realized that their maths was much more difficult that actual GMAT. And also noticed that many GMAT club members were not solving the match section in a timed environment. But I decided against that to have the actual feel of a full length test.

5) 09/15 - Powerprep Test 1 : Total Score 750 (Q50, V42) !!!!!. My thoughts after this. Maths was way to easy. Verbal somehow seemed to be at a level slightly below Manhattan but not much. I was happy anyway to know that I am improving

6) 09/16 - MGMAT CAT2 : Total Score 650(Q43, V36). Could not believe my eyes. How can my performance vary so much..100points that was too much to digest. However, I decided to move on and keep practicing.

7) 09/23 - MGMAT CAT3: Total Score 660 (Q44, V36)

8) 09/27 - Princeton online CAT3 : Total score 710 (Q50, V39).

9) 09/29 - MGMAT CAT4 : Total Score 640(Q44, V34) - I did not know what to make out of this. I decided to give Powerprep 2 the next day to make sure I am on the right track

10) 09/30 i.e. today : Powerprep Test2 : 770 (Q50, V44) : I must admit that maths appeared to be a shade more difficult than that of Powerprep1. However there were 3-4 CRs in verbal, which I had seen before.

This is what I think today. My verbal has definitely improved since the time I started preparing. But the fluctuations in my Manhattan score and powerprep scores(of around 100 points) has been driving me crazy.

Guys, my target score is 730+. My original plan was to take my GMAT in the 3rd week of Oct. Today I am in 2 minds whether I should take the appointment. The sad part is, if at all I dont, I will not be able to take it before Nov end due to personal reasons. And there will be more than 20 days gap when I wont be able to study ( last week of Oct and first 3 weeks of Nov) at all. That is more trouble. In the last 3 months, I have noticed that a gap of 3 days also had its effect on my accuracy.

I have not yet solved GMAT prep2, MGMAT 5, MGMAT6 and Princeton 4. I will be doing these in the next 2 weeks. I had planned to solve GMAT Prep 2 only one week before my test date. So have kept that on hold.

What I will like to know from you all is what do you make out of my scores ? Do you think, I am ready for 730+ with 2 -3 weeks of more preparation ? Or do you think, I must be hold on that and then take my test date by this year end to be absolutely sure ?

Thanks for reading my long post, so far my longest.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 00:35
This post received
KUDOS
Hi rgajare14,

I would rather rely on your Powerprep score which is amazing and I am sure that you will be scoring 7** on the actual date. From my experience, Powerprep is +-30 from your actual score while you should add +50 to your MGMAT scores. The rest of the CAT scores from Kaplan, PR etc. etc. are not predictive at all.

I think you are ready to take GMAT and score a splendid 700+.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 04:47
financeguy wrote:
Hi rgajare14,

I would rather rely on your Powerprep score which is amazing and I am sure that you will be scoring 7** on the actual date. From my experience, Powerprep is +-30 from your actual score while you should add +50 to your MGMAT scores. The rest of the CAT scores from Kaplan, PR etc. etc. are not predictive at all.

I think you are ready to take GMAT and score a splendid 700+.

Thanks

Hey financeguy,

I was kinda hoping that folks would respond to my post. And was disappointed to see that no one actually had till last night. This morning, when I saw your post, it really made me feel much better. Thanks much for your inputs. I too think that I must go ahead and tackle the beast.

Thanks again
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
good luck mate... i would have loved to get a 750 and 770 on the powerprep...

go get that 800 ... ;)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 13:32
rgajare14 wrote:

Hey financeguy,

I was kinda hoping that folks would respond to my post. And was disappointed to see that no one actually had till last night. This morning, when I saw your post, it really made me feel much better. Thanks much for your inputs. I too think that I must go ahead and tackle the beast.

Thanks again

Its a wonderful post but its rather long so probably that's what kept people from reading all of it and then respond to you. I have a similar situation, taking GMAT on 17th October and have scored 710, 690, 670, 730 and MGMAT tests but only 710 on GMAT prep 1.

Hope it works out the best for both of us.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 06:59
This post received
KUDOS
Hey,

I hope it's not too late.

From your first GMAT score, Q48 looks decent. Unless you are intending to hit Q50, I don't htink you need much work. Your verbal is pretty good too. I think with 4 more points (I think that translates to ~less than 10 mistakes in verbal?), you will break the 700 mark with ease.

I think your study pattern at this stage don't really need to be at a point where it's daily. Alternate days with rest in between days for just simple revision should suffice.

For SC, I would suggest working on as many SC problem as you can, even those you have worked before and got them right (you might get them wrong the second time round). Be it with a book, or a CAT or on GMATClub, just keep plugging away. Recognize the different types of grammatical errors tested by working on more questions can help to up your score on this section.

Also, you shouldn't be comparing powerprep scores with MGMAT scores. Firstly, both are different platforms and may have different scoring engines, and more importantly, powerprep questions are much more easy than MGMAT ones, so the comparison won't be objective.

Now to the most important part, are you truly comfortable with your answers for the sc, rc and cr questions? Are you wholly confident or in half-minds when you pick the answer? If you are, 2-3 weeks prep should be sufficient. At V36, you shouldn't be far from achieving 700+.

Just keep calm during the test and don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure! Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 07:14
This post received
KUDOS
I feel you are good to go....

Just don't loose your calm during exam by getting any tough question....

- Brajesh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 14:09
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. All your words have been extremely encouraging.

Just to let you know, I have already taken the GMAT date on Oct 20, which is Saturday. Will see how it goes.

Thanks again.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
Best of luck.
  [#permalink] 02 Oct 2007, 20:51