Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What do you think?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What do you think? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 18:24
Hi Paul:

I would appreciate your thoughts on my profile and the schools I am targeting. Thanks in advance for your help.

27 year old male

2.8 GPA in business from a school ranked just outside the USNews top 50, obviously a very poor GPA. I can support/explain this with four years of sports ( 2 years as captain) and other activities in college. The reality is that I just wasnt taking school seriously enough. How do you recomend I tackle this in an essay?

720 GMAT - 44 verbal, 45 quant, 5.0 AWA

44 months of experience at a boutique investment bank, the name probably will not ring bells with anyone on the admissions boards. I have an interesing story as I was part of a new team that is now performing well. I have risen to the Associate level.

I am very involved in the my university alumni group and have taken a formal leadership role.

I am confident in my ability to write strong essays and I have a few interesting experiences to write about.

Schools of interest: Tuck, Darden, Haas, Ross, Johnson, Fuqua, Yale

I appreciate the feedback.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What do you think? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 20:30
snellmp wrote:
Hi Paul:

I would appreciate your thoughts on my profile and the schools I am targeting. Thanks in advance for your help.

27 year old male

2.8 GPA in business from a school ranked just outside the USNews top 50, obviously a very poor GPA. I can support/explain this with four years of sports ( 2 years as captain) and other activities in college. The reality is that I just wasnt taking school seriously enough. How do you recomend I tackle this in an essay?

720 GMAT - 44 verbal, 45 quant, 5.0 AWA

44 months of experience at a boutique investment bank, the name probably will not ring bells with anyone on the admissions boards. I have an interesing story as I was part of a new team that is now performing well. I have risen to the Associate level.

I am very involved in the my university alumni group and have taken a formal leadership role.

I am confident in my ability to write strong essays and I have a few interesting experiences to write about.

Schools of interest: Tuck, Darden, Haas, Ross, Johnson, Fuqua, Yale

I appreciate the feedback.

snellmp,

As for the GPA, I don't recommend belaboring it directly in your essays. Better to focus on all the leadership and extracurricular involvement in college (to the extent you discuss college at all) and mention in passing that naturally this all had an impact on your grades. Period. Your GMAT goes a long way as far as damage control. I assume there were no failing grades, just general mediocrity. Not a deal breaker.

The rest of your profile looks good, though not breathtakingly unusual or drop-dead impressive. I think you would be competitive at Fuqua, Darden, Johnson, perhaps Yale. Ross, Tuck, and Haas seem tougher to me, but not impossible. I think you need to emphasize leadershp wherever you've got it and help yourself stand out from the pack by being very genuine and "self-revealing" in your essays -- hopefully you will have some unusual experiences to help you stand out. I recommend this because I think your application needs something special, unusual, memorable to help the adcoms see past the GPA. Maybe you've got that special story somewhere.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 06:28
Paul:

Thanks for your thoughtful response. As for the essays I wanted to ask one additional question. You have suggested that I try to be personal and revealing. In the past few years I have gone through some significant medical tribulations that has in fact been a maturing and learning experience for me. I could easily turn this experience into a strong essay about overcoming diversity or what unique experience and viewpoint I would bring to a school. Would this be considered too personal or is this exactly that sort of thing I should write about?

Thanks again for your help.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2007, 14:34
snellmp wrote:
Paul:

Thanks for your thoughtful response. As for the essays I wanted to ask one additional question. You have suggested that I try to be personal and revealing. In the past few years I have gone through some significant medical tribulations that has in fact been a maturing and learning experience for me. I could easily turn this experience into a strong essay about overcoming diversity or what unique experience and viewpoint I would bring to a school. Would this be considered too personal or is this exactly that sort of thing I should write about?

Thanks again for your help.

Snellmp,

That is exactly the sort of thing you should write about. But remember that an essay that goes on endlessly about detailed medical issues and suffering can try the adcom's patience and quickly become a downer. Remember that the key part of the essay will be how you went about coping with and overcoming the setback that the tribulations presented you with.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter