Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 03:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

What do you think is the IDEAL age for application (not matriculation) to HBS, Stanford?

• 4% [2]
  • 22% [10]
  • 42% [19]
  • 17% [8]
  • 0% [0]
  • 13% [6]
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 36

What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
Let's say you could do it all over again and wanted to maximize your chances for admission to Harvard / Stanford / other top schools. What do you think is the ideal age for APPLYING (not matriculation--so you would really be 1 year older when you actually attend business school)?

Assume the following:
-Female
-GPA is 3.6+
-GMAT is 720+
-Work experience is normal. Something like a Big 4/Fortune 500 company from college graduation through matriculation at business school.
-Recs, extracurriculars, are good, but not excellent.
-Interview skills are decent and can probably make the work experience and extra curriculars seem better than they may appear on paper.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 344 [1] , given: 19

Premium Member
Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think this should really be, how many years of work experience before applying for H/S?

Some people are on the 3 year plan, some people are on the 5 year plan, some people take a gap year before college, etc.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 10:17
if you are in a "leadership program" like at GE, i would apply right at the end of that so it doesn't look like you are "downgrading" to a regular job at the end of the program.

for HBS, i would say 3 years is the sweet spot nowadays (grad college at 22, work 2 years, apply during third year when 24/25).

my gmat review:
gmat-review-770-q50-v44-86800.html

MBA charts:
http://mbacharts.appspot.com/

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 3439

Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
That's probably pretty true. Stanford's average months of work experience looks like its still around 4 years but Harvard's is only 3.5. At Stanford, for which BW was able to produce more detailed distribution statistics for their latest ranking, the median is 48 months. Half the admits have more than 4 years of full-time work experience. The 10th percentile is 24 months and the 90th percentile is 68 months. Harvard's distribution could look pretty similar but shifted leftward 6 months.

If no one took gap years or peace corps / volunteer missions, then the most represented age could be somewhere near 24-25 for Harvard. The average is apparently actually 26, probably skewed-right?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 36

Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 10:48
asimov wrote:
I think this should really be, how many years of work experience before applying for H/S?

Some people are on the 3 year plan, some people are on the 5 year plan, some people take a gap year before college, etc.

You are probably right, but let's assume a "traditional" path, with 4 years of college and a full-time job straight from graduation through business school acceptance.
Manager
Manager

Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 10:50
coakleym wrote:
That's probably pretty true. Stanford's average months of work experience looks like its still around 4 years but Harvard's is only 3.5. At Stanford, for which BW was able to produce more detailed distribution statistics for their latest ranking, the median is 48 months. Half the admits have more than 4 years of full-time work experience. The 10th percentile is 24 months and the 90th percentile is 68 months. Harvard's distribution could look pretty similar but shifted leftward 6 months.

If no one took gap years or peace corps / volunteer missions, then the most represented age could be somewhere near 24-25 for Harvard. The average is apparently actually 26, probably skewed-right?

Does BW = BusinessWeek? Do you have a link for the BW statistics?
Manager
Manager

Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 11:01
for HBS, I believe 25 is the mode, but there are quite a few 24 and 26 as well. It looks roughly like a bell curve last time I saw it

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 3439

Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 11:19
username123 wrote:

Does BW = BusinessWeek? Do you have a link for the BW statistics?

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... nford.html

STANFORD CLASS PROFILE

Mean months of work experience of newest entering class:
Median months of work experience of newest entering class:
Middle 80% range of work experience of newest entering class in months:

To: 68

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... rvard.html

HARVARD CLASS PROFILE

Mean months of work experience of newest entering class:
Middle 80% range of work experience of newest entering class in months:

To: N/A
Mean age of entering class:
Manager
Manager

Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 11:30
Thanks. The links are very helpful!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 2

Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
If i was doing it all over again I would have black parents, gone to west point for undergrad, and scored 750 on the GMAT...that is the profile of the only person I know going to HBS. (He will be 27 at matriculation).
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, HBS (interview)
WE 1: Product Management
WE 2: Software Engineer
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 18:47
Definitely not 29. That's my age and no interview :(

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 19:23
colequinn wrote:
Definitely not 29. That's my age and no interview :(

Posted from my mobile device Image

your profile says interview?

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

Re: What do you think is the IDEAL age to apply to HBS/Stanford?   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2010, 19:23