Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 22:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What Do You Think of My Business School Application Plan?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

What Do You Think of My Business School Application Plan? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 08:58
My general profile is below.

I would like to know your thoughts on the schools in my current plan for applying to schools for 2014.

What shot do I have at CBS (my reach)? Do these schools help with my goal of returning to PE? Any I should add/remove? Anything that would make me more/less competitive at any particular school?

Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks.

Early:
CBS

1st Rd:
Kellogg
Booth

2nd Rd:
Stern
MIT
Tuck
Darden

GMAT / GPA
-700 GMAT (V: 96%, Q: 61%)
-3.2 Overall GPA / 3.5 Upper Class GPA
-(Received a 2.7 GPA freshman year due to my involvement in Navy ROTC, worked 20 hrs/wk to pay)
-Undergraduate degrees in Finance and History from Top 30 Private College (2004-2008)

Work Experience
1) 3 Years $500M Financial Services Focused Private Equity, Senior Associate (2011-2014)
-Promoted to Senior Associate
-Evaluate investment opportunities in the insurance, financial services, and healthcare services sectors
-Sourced 2 of 4 investments in current fund
-Diligenced an additional investment and have managed portfolio company from close
-Originate proprietary investment opportunities by calling and meeting with executives and intermediaries; top-performing Associate (5 in total) having generated 67 opportunities, 43 management meetings, and 2 term sheets
-Perform analysis and transaction execution activities, including financial modeling/valuation, meeting with management, financial/legal diligence, legal agreement negotiation, industry research, and delivery of recommendations

2) 2.5 Years Investment Banking, Senior Analyst (2008-2011)
-Promoted to Senior Analyst
-Promoted to Full Time Position after Summer Internship
-Analyzed potential merger and acquisitions as well as capital financing options for publicly-traded electric utility companies
-Core member of the undergraduate alma mater investment banking recruiting team

Extracurricular involvement
-Boy Scouts of America (1994-2014)
-Eagle Scout
-Worked with Council CEO to develop Eagle Scout Alumni outreach program to identify potential volunteers and donors
-Tracked recruiting and advancement performance of two Troops in the NY

Business School Goals
-To further pursue my private equity career, solidify my financial analysis skills (accounting and economics), bolster my professional network, and travel abroad

Demographic
27-year-old white male from Boston
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 22

Re: What Do You Think of My Business School Application Plan? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 04:30
Hey AndreNowzick - there's definitely some interesting elements in your background but some glitches too, as you know. The work experience is completely pre-MBA appropriate and that's great, but of course there's going to be a lot of guys 'like you' applying who want to go into PE. Your main advantage is that you are IN private equity now, a big boost over someone who wants to transition over. You also have some nice promotions under your belt.

The sticky parts are the GPA is only so-so -- not completely underwater but not completely impressive either, though you did end strong which is the most important part; plus this GMAT quant is very concerning for someone who wants to do anything finance-related. We can say that Columbia may have doubts about that. If you're serious about Columbia and many of the other schools on this list we would STRONGLY encourage you to retest.

This complicates things of course since you'd want to start working on a Columbia ED app right now and it's really hard to do essays and GMAT prep at the same time. We can also only recommend this if you've only taken the GMAT once; if you already tested a bunch of times and this is where you end up, then it's a harder call to make.

Just straight up: We have never seen a finance guy get into schools like this with a GMAT quant this low. They can get in with a low GMAT overall (like a 680) but the quant is critical. There are always exceptions and we don't know your entire profile so we cannot be black and white about it - maybe there's enough strength from that undergrad degree in finance to counter it and the adcom can overlook it. But it's very risky.

We definitely see some good points in all of this too and you definitely have a profile that can make it into a great school. It's hard to say on balance without knowing more. Sorry to freak you out about this one issue but given how competitive it is we need to be crystal clear that it could impact you more than you realize.

On the school targets - those are all incredible schools and they're all going to have this concern re: GMAT. Columbia ED is certainly an advantage but not sure they would be willing to look past this. You should also do MIT in Round 1, there's often a very big advantage instead of Round 2 at that school; you could push Booth to Round 2 instead if you are concerned about getting it all done.

Please feel free to offer any additional information about your GMAT - like, how many times did you test, when did you land this 700, what's your IR - those details can help us (and if you're really motivated you could sign up for our Comprehensive Profile Review which is just what it says it is and we can drill down into EVERYTHING - read about it here and specifically check out the reviews that others have left; GMAT Club members get a $10 discount if you click through from this page).

You're going to have good luck with this process if you play your cards right... it's just a matter of lining up those cards before you play them! Let us know how we can help.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: What Do You Think of My Business School Application Plan? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 11:50
Expert's post
One thing I noticed here: your GMAT quant percentile is 61%. Since you have a finance background, that might throw up a red flag with the likes of quant-focused schools like Booth, Sloan, etc. Perhaps you had a bad day (we all do), but it might be something to at least mention in the optional essay.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: What Do You Think of My Business School Application Plan?   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2013, 11:50