Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 08:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What Happened? (700, 44Q, 41V)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What Happened? (700, 44Q, 41V) [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 05:55
I took the GMAT yesterday and had results that were quite the opposite of what I was expecting. I was wondering if anyone might have some insights as to why I did so poorly on the quant section.

Objective:
I already have been admitted to my program of choice based off my prior academic achievements. I was taking the GMAT in hopes of earning a scholarship.

Background:
B.S. Physics (3.4 GPA)
M.S. Mechanical Engineering (3.7 GPA)
I have very much a math oriented person and struggle with verbal things. When I was interviewing for jobs after graduation my answer to the "what is your biggest weakness" question was always "my written and verbal skills."

Practice Tests:
GMAT Prep #1: 680 (47Q, 37V)
GMAT Prep #2: 730 (49Q, 40V)
MGMAT Tests: Low 600s (44-48Q) (low 30s in V, I completed each verbal in ~10 minutes, not taking my time at all)

Study Strategy:

Verbal: I literally did not spend a single second on any verbal studying. I didn't even look at the questions I got wrong on the practice exams or review any solutions.

Quant: I started studying 3 months prior to taking the test and followed a set schedule. Worked through all problems in the official guide, and quant review books. Completed all Manhattan books including the advanced quant book. I felt very comfortable with all but a handful of questions in the advanced book and could work through each problem in under 2 minutes.

Exam Day:
I finished the essay and IR without feeling “worked.” Going into the quant section I felt really confident and thought the test was actually pretty easy compared to the practice exams. The last couple questions in Quant were really tough but I felt very confident in my answers. At the end of the section I would have guessed my score around 50.

Reflection:
As you can imagine I was pretty surprised to see a score of 44 in Quant and 41 in Verbal. Looking back on the test I can’t find any mistakes that I made or things I would change. I’m pretty confused as to why I did so poorly. Historically, I have always been a very good test taker and usually perform best in testing situations (as evidenced by my verbal score).
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.51
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: What Happened? (700, 44Q, 41V) [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 10:09
I wouldn't call 700 so badly man, you can def improve quant coming from engineering background, but unless you are sure you can do just as well on verbal i wouldnt bother because that gives the most percentile boost
Re: What Happened? (700, 44Q, 41V)   [#permalink] 11 May 2013, 10:09