Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What if I already have an MSF?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

What if I already have an MSF? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 18:57
Hello,

I am currently a college student. I have the opportunity to earn a combined-degree MSF (also available with similar degrees) in four years.

I do plan on getting an MBA later, but I would like to take advantage of convenient masters programs, too, if I can. Not that I am a degree-hog. I just want to get a masters degree while I am still in school in case for some reason the MBA does not work out. Otherwise I could end up with a bachelors and nothing else.

In sight of admissions, I definitely think it may be stupid/redundant/hard to gain admission into an MBA program when if I already had the said MSF.

Would it hinder MBA chances? Or is it different? I realize it would still be possible to gain admission, but I do not know the caliber to which it would matter.

If it would hinder my chances, and I want to earn some masters degree in addition to an MBA, what kind of masters degree would not be redundant, yet relevant? Does a program like that even exist?

Thank you.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: What if I already have an MSF? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 12:27
Expert's post
Wise things to consider. You are correct in that many top MBA programs frown on what may be viewed as "double dipping" academically, that is, for them to give a precious seat in their program to someone who has already had a similar academic experience. They might question that you may have been able to accomplish with the MSF what you would or should be able to achieve with the MBA. You might consider a masters in accounting or economics which is not quite as closely aligned with MBA as ms finance would be. Or perhaps just a complimentary degree to whatever you post MBA vision is, such as in public policy, or environmental science, or health care etc. etc....that way there would be no question of having already had enough education to fill the business need in your career.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: What if I already have an MSF? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 20:17
There is a 3/2 program I offered at my school with accounting. In five years in the program, students receive a bachelors in accounting and MAcc, and often at the end students become CPA candidates.

If I were to do this program, I could definitely get a job at a big four firm, then an MBA, but I am not sure if would endure accounting for that long. I guess it is good work experience, though. I will look into other combined degrees, too.

If I earned a finance degree, no combined, then I could still get a good job. I guess I would really have to ask students at my school and advisors.

A MAcc + CPA would not be considered double dipping?
Re: What if I already have an MSF?   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2011, 20:17