Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What if you get fired (or quit) during your part-time mba?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
What if you get fired (or quit) during your part-time mba? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 07:47
Can you move to the full-time mba? If no, can you take on a full-time load while still enrolled in the part-time program (in order to finish sooner)?

Can you take off for a semester or two to do an internship?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 08:04
It depends on the program - I believe that Chicago doesn't require to you maintain employment. So if you stop working you can start taking daytime classes or a bigger course load (but you can't officially transfer to the full-time program). You can take quarters off anytime (you just have to finish within 5 years), so you can take off for an internship if you want.

At Kellogg, on the other hand, they require you to maintain full-time managerial level employment throughout your MBA (their definition of managerial level is pretty flexible though). If you lose your job, then you have to notify the program and you have a quarter or two to find a new position. They'll help as they can - they just need to know you are making a legitimate effort to find a new job. You are not allowed to take more than the standard 2 classes without specific permission. And students can transfer to the full-time program, but only at a certain point in the program so it doesn't really have anything to do with students losing their jobs.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 09:33
agreed, depends on the program, and pretty well summarized above. minor comment:- part-time programs will not sponsor an F1 visa.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1551 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 04:36
another comment: Although you can take a full load of courses at the GSB if you so choose, you are nonetheless not part of full time recruiting. Although you can attend events, your badge is actually a different color than the full time students.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: What if you get fired (or quit) during your part-time mba? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 20:56
gmatclb wrote:
Can you move to the full-time mba? If no, can you take on a full-time load while still enrolled in the part-time program (in order to finish sooner)?

Can you take off for a semester or two to do an internship?

You posted this 3 years ago and I am sure my comment is no longer relevant to you. But I will try to answer them for others.

I don't know a single reputable part-time MBA program that allows internship through on campus recruiting for its PT students. It is one of the major distinguishing factors between FT and PT students and I don't think that will change. This difference is one of the major reasons why FT is much better if one wants to switch careers.
Re: What if you get fired (or quit) during your part-time mba?   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2010, 20:56