Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

what if your supervisor asks you to write your own recletter

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

what if your supervisor asks you to write your own recletter [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 17:35
any of you guys had to do that? kinda sucks...do the recommenders get contacted by adcom? what do the recommenders say (got them to write it themselves?)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: what if your supervisor asks you to write your own recletter [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 17:59
You should find someone else to do it for you. Some schools require you to sign an honor code pledge when applying and writing your own rec clearly violates that. Schools dont allow people to write their own recs and you do provide contact info for your recommenders usually...so it is possible for them to check. Supposedly some schools do spot check recommenders but if he told you to do this he would probably lie. But still its pretty unethical, guiding them along is one thing doing it yourself is another.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: what if your supervisor asks you to write your own recletter [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2008, 08:10
something to consider: everyone's writing style is unique. Adcoms read hundreds of apps and, after reading 2000 of your words, there is a possibility that they will notice similarities....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: what if your supervisor asks you to write your own recletter [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 02:37
don't do it. In the worst case, ask a friend to write it for you and have your recommender edit it. Do not write it yourself.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: what if your supervisor asks you to write your own recletter [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 03:34
I know that this problem exists. But it is better to ask him that you are comfortable waiting for longer duration to get the letter written by him whenever he finds time available. But it will slow down your application ( I am still waiting for one of my recommenders to submit his letter for Columbia ED, whereas I have completed my Col application around 10th Sep).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: what if your supervisor asks you to write your own recletter [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 07:22
I ran into this problem too. Thing was, it was the same recommender who had offered to write me one. Oy.

Honestly, I don't see a huge ethical problem in writing/outlining a recommendation and then your boss editing it before signing and sending it on. It's not the way I'd prefer to do it, of course. And if you have ready alternatives, it might be better to go with them. But if you don't... eh. I think the ability of adcoms to recognize your "writing style" is overestimated. They do read thousands of essays, of course, and if your writing style is sufficiently sophisticated (i.e. doesn't include obvious errors of grammar, spelling and awkward sentence structure), I doubt they'll notice.

Still, when I'm a big important person who gets recommendation requests eventually, I'll make it a point never to ask a subordinate to write their own. I just think it's tacky.
Re: what if your supervisor asks you to write your own recletter   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2008, 07:22