Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 09:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the area of circle ? (1) The ratio of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
What is the area of circle ? (1) The ratio of the [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 06:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

37% (01:16) correct 63% (00:33) wrong based on 19 sessions
What is the area of circle ?

(1) The ratio of the circumference of the circle D to the diameter of the circle D is 22/7 :1

(2) The number of the sqaure units of the area of the sector with an angle of measure 60 degree is two times the number of units of the length of an arc with an angle of measure 30 degree.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My doubt- the question didn't provide any standard measure of length such a cm,m,km...so i thought the answer should E because if we ask what is the area....just any answer like area is 100 doesnot makes sense. Don't we need a standard unit to measure the area ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 884 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the area of circle ? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 07:19
Aj85 wrote:
What is the area of circle ?

(1) The ratio of the circumference of the circle D to the diameter of the circle D is 22/7 :1

(2) The number of the sqaure units of the area of the sector with an angle of measure 60 degree is two times the number of units of the length of an arc with an angle of measure 30 degree.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My doubt- the question didn't provide any standard measure of length such a cm,m,km...so i thought the answer should E because if we ask what is the area....just any answer like area is 100 doesnot makes sense. Don't we need a standard unit to measure the area ?

Your doubt is valid, but it is not required for GMAT. I know it's bizarre, but that's how GMAT works sometimes. So, area in any unit is fine. B is correct.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the area of circle ? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 06:49
Hai i have a doubt in the statement 1. we can rephrase the statement 1 as

circumference/diameter=pi*d/d since pi=22/7.
pi*d/d=3*1/1,so diameter is 1 and radius is 1/2. sufficient to answer the question.

Please correct me if i am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Re: What is the area of circle ? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 07:52
TomB wrote:
Hai i have a doubt in the statement 1. we can rephrase the statement 1 as

circumference/diameter=pi*d/d since pi=22/7.
pi*d/d=3*1/1,so diameter is 1 and radius is 1/2. sufficient to answer the question.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

It's incorrect.

The ratio of the circumference of the circle D to the diameter of the circle D is always 22/7 :1

You can try calculating that ratio for different values of r.

Hit kudos if my post helps you.
You may send me a PM if you have any doubts about my solution or GMAT problems in general.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the area of circle ? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 12:33
fluke wrote:

Your doubt is valid, but it is not required for GMAT. I know it's bizarre, but that's how GMAT works sometimes. So, area in any unit is fine. B is correct.

thanks fluke....I guess sometimes one has to face ambiguous questions, at least one may feel so. I hope i dont face such a question on test. i did in fact almost lock the answer choice B but at very last second idea came that without a standard measure unit the answer will make no sense. this was last question of kaplan practise test 2 (linear).
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: What is the area of circle ? [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 13:14
Ohh i did not see the 1 ratio is statement 1.......Silly silly mistakes

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: What is the area of circle ?   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2011, 13:14