Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2015, 06:47
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 3

What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 02:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:38) correct 24% (00:51) wrong based on 116 sessions
Attachment:
untitled3.JPG
untitled3.JPG [ 5 KiB | Viewed 2569 times ]
What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the square?

(1) Area of the ABCD is square 49.
(2) Circumference of the outermost circle is 7Πcm.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29100
Followers: 4722

Kudos [?]: 49626 [0], given: 7400

Re: Area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the s [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 02:39
Expert's post
MichelleSavina wrote:
Q) What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the square?
(1) Area of the ABCD is square 49.
(2) Circumference of the outermost circle is 7Πcm.


What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the square?

Knowing the length of a side of a square is sufficient to calculate the radius of the inscribed or circumscribed circle (the length of a side defines the radius of the inscribed or circumscribed circle) and vise-versa: knowing the length of a radius is sufficient to to calculate the side of the inscribed or circumscribed square.

(1) Area of the ABCD is square 49 --> we can get the length of a side and then going step by step get the radius of the innermost circle to calculate the area. Sufficient.

(2) Circumference of the outermost circle is 7Πcm --> we can get the radius of this circle and then going step by step get the radius of the innermost circle to calculate the area. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

For more check: math-circles-87957.html and math-triangles-87197.html

Please post PS questions in the PS subforum: gmat-problem-solving-ps-140/ and DS questions in the DS subforum: gmat-data-sufficiency-ds-141/

Topic moved to the DS subforum.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2010
Posts: 21
Location: Milpitas, CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the s [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 02:46
MichelleSavina wrote:
What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the square?
(1) Area of the ABCD is square 49.
(2) Circumference of the outermost circle is 7Πcm.


Just remember the fact that whenever some regular shape is inscribed or circumscribed in another regular shape, always there exists a relation between their area. Here regular shape means circle, equilateral triangle or square or regular pentagon/hexagon etc.

Statement 1: We know the are of the square ABCD. Hence, we can determine the areas of the inner shapes.

Sufficient

Statement 2: We know the radius of the outermost circle. Hence we can determine the lengths of sides or radius of the inner shapes and hence their areas.

Sufficient

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The correct answer is D.

_________________

Anurag Mairal, Ph.D., MBA
GMAT Expert, Admissions and Career Guidance
Gurome, Inc.
1-800-566-4043 (USA)
+91-99201 32411 (India)
http://www.facebook.com/Gurome

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 3

Re: Area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the s [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 06:49
Bunuel wrote:

Please post PS questions in the PS subforum: gmat-problem-solving-ps-140/ and DS questions in the DS subforum: gmat-data-sufficiency-ds-141/

Topic moved to the DS subforum.


Sorry about that... i was in a hurry, so did it by mistake.. :beat ...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 92
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the s [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 08:24
Bunuel wrote:
MichelleSavina wrote:
Q) What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the square?
(1) Area of the ABCD is square 49.
(2) Circumference of the outermost circle is 7Πcm.


What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the square?

Knowing the length of a side of a square is sufficient to calculate the radius of the inscribed or circumscribed circle (the length of a side defines the radius of the inscribed or circumscribed circle) and vise-versa: knowing the length of a radius is sufficient to to calculate the side of the inscribed or circumscribed square.

(1) Area of the ABCD is square 49 --> we can get the length of a side and then going step by step get the radius of the innermost circle to calculate the area. Sufficient.

(2) Circumference of the outermost circle is 7Πcm --> we can get the radius of this circle and then going step by step get the radius of the innermost circle to calculate the area. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

For more check: math-circles-87957.html and math-triangles-87197.html

Please post PS questions in the PS subforum: gmat-problem-solving-ps-140/ and DS questions in the DS subforum: gmat-data-sufficiency-ds-141/

Topic moved to the DS subforum.


can you please describe more clearly? i dont understand...
it askes us to find what the area of the INNERMOST circle... we surely know the length of sides of ABCD and also know radius of circle but we dont know the area of the inner square so how could we find the radius of the innermost circle???
can you please explain me?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29100
Followers: 4722

Kudos [?]: 49626 [0], given: 7400

Re: Area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the s [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 08:45
Expert's post
diebeatsthegmat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
MichelleSavina wrote:
Q) What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the square?
(1) Area of the ABCD is square 49.
(2) Circumference of the outermost circle is 7Πcm.


What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the square?

Knowing the length of a side of a square is sufficient to calculate the radius of the inscribed or circumscribed circle (the length of a side defines the radius of the inscribed or circumscribed circle) and vise-versa: knowing the length of a radius is sufficient to to calculate the side of the inscribed or circumscribed square.

(1) Area of the ABCD is square 49 --> we can get the length of a side and then going step by step get the radius of the innermost circle to calculate the area. Sufficient.

(2) Circumference of the outermost circle is 7Πcm --> we can get the radius of this circle and then going step by step get the radius of the innermost circle to calculate the area. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

For more check: math-circles-87957.html and math-triangles-87197.html

Please post PS questions in the PS subforum: gmat-problem-solving-ps-140/ and DS questions in the DS subforum: gmat-data-sufficiency-ds-141/

Topic moved to the DS subforum.


can you please describe more clearly? i dont understand...
it askes us to find what the area of the INNERMOST circle... we surely know the length of sides of ABCD and also know radius of circle but we dont know the area of the inner square so how could we find the radius of the innermost circle???
can you please explain me?


If you know the length of a side of a square then you can get the radius of inscribed circle: \(2R=S\) --> \(R=\frac{S}{2}\);

Next, if you know the radius of a circle you can get the length of a side of inscribed square: \((2R)^2=s^2+s^2\) --> \(s=R*\sqrt{2}\);

So going step by step you can get the radius of the innermost circle to calculate the area of it.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29100
Followers: 4722

Kudos [?]: 49626 [0], given: 7400

Re: What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 01:59
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2013
Posts: 28
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-25-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 79

Re: Area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the s [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 08:09
Bunuel wrote:
MichelleSavina wrote:
Q) What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the square?
(1) Area of the ABCD is square 49.
(2) Circumference of the outermost circle is 7Πcm.


What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the square?

Knowing the length of a side of a square is sufficient to calculate the radius of the inscribed or circumscribed circle (the length of a side defines the radius of the inscribed or circumscribed circle) and vise-versa: knowing the length of a radius is sufficient to to calculate the side of the inscribed or circumscribed square.

(1) Area of the ABCD is square 49 --> we can get the length of a side and then going step by step get the radius of the innermost circle to calculate the area. Sufficient.

(2) Circumference of the outermost circle is 7Πcm --> we can get the radius of this circle and then going step by step get the radius of the innermost circle to calculate the area. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Also , as per gmat quant book by bunuel .... We can find out the area of circle inscribed in a square as per the points mentioned below.


• If a circle is circumscribed around a square, the area of the circle is (about 1.57) times the area of the square.
• If a circle is inscribed in the square, the area of the circle is (about 0.79) times the area of the square.
Re: Area of the innermost circle which is inscribed in the s   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2013, 08:09
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 A regular hexagon is inscribed in a circle. What is the area smartyman 2 02 Jul 2014, 00:03
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Rectangle ABCD is inscribed in circle P. What is the area of AccipiterQ 3 21 Oct 2013, 07:36
2 If a triangle inscribed in a circle has area 40, what is the rxs0005 4 22 Mar 2011, 08:46
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic Circle O is inscribed in equilateral triangle ABC, which is Hussain15 14 26 Jun 2010, 06:52
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the area of the parallelogram inscribed in a circle? ritula 18 31 May 2008, 04:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the area of the innermost circle which is inscribed

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.