Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the area of the shaded region?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What is the area of the shaded region? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 19:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hello everyone,
First time poster here just wanted to ask you how to solve this question quicker than the way I just did.

Provided info: Given the small circle has radius of 3, what is the area of the shaded region?

The triangle inscribed in smaller circle is split into 3 isosceles triangles with 2 sides equaling 3.
Using the formula x : x : xsqrt2
You get the side of the inscribed triangle is 3sqrt2

Once you have that you can find the area of the equilateral triangle by splitting it into 2 right triangles and using the pythagorean theorem.
Where x = height
((3sqrt2)/2)^2 + x^2 = (3sqrt2)2^2
18/4 + x^2 = 18
9/2 + x^2 = 18
subtract the 9/2
x^2 = 18 - 4.5 = 13.5
x=sqrt13.5

Then you find the area of the triangle by formula (b*h)/2
3sqrt2*sqrt13.5 = 3sqrt27 = 9sqrt3
lastly divide by 2 = 4.5sqrt3
A=4.5sqrt3

Now you know the area of the original smaller triangle.

The area of the smaller circle using A=pi r^2 = 9pi

Now given the ratio of the larger triangle to the smaller triangle 4x
You can find the area of the shaded region of the top part by using the two answers above and divide by 3.

4(4.5sqrt3) - 9pi
(18sqrt3 - 9pi)/3

6sqrt3 -3pi

Since the smaller triangle is 1/4 to the larger triangle, we know the larger circle will be 36pi and we already know the area of the larger triangle = 18sqrt3
So in knowing that we can determine the larger shaded region (at the bottom) by subtracting the area of the larger circle by the larger triangle and then divide it all by 3
(36pi - 18srqt3) / 3
which equals
12pi - 6sqrt3

then we add both shaded areas
6sqrt3 -3pi + 12pi - 6sqrt3

9pi

Can someone tell me if my math is correct and how can you solve this question in under ~2mins?
Attachments

gmat.jpg
gmat.jpg [ 32.56 KiB | Viewed 628 times ]

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-27-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Venture Capital)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 248

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: What is the area of the shaded region? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 00:46
Let r= Radius of smaller circle
R= Radius of bigger circle
a= side of smaller triangle
A= side of bigger triangle

Since, r=3, using the formula Radius of inscribed circle= √3a/6 (where a= side of the triangle), we get a= 6√3

Now, using the formula Radius of circumscribed circle= √3A/3 (where A= side of the triangle), we get R= 6

Now, we can see that the Area of bigger circle = Area of bigger triangle + Area of 3 big sections
=> ⊼ (6)^2 = √3 (6√3)^2 / 4 + Area of 3 Big sections
=> Area of 3 big sections = 36⊼ - 27√3
=> Area of 1 big section = 12 ⊼ - 9√3.............(i)

Now, similarly, Area of bigger triangle = Area of smaller circle + Area of 3 small sections
=>√3(6√3)^2 / 4 = ⊼ (3)^2 + Area of 3 small sections
=> Area of 3 small sections = 27√3 - 9⊼
=> Area of 1 small section = 9√3 - 3⊼...........(ii)

Now, as required by the question, the area of shaded portion = area of 1 small section + area of 1 big section
Adding (i) and (ii), we get the required area = 9⊼
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5041 [0], given: 164

Re: What is the area of the shaded region? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 22:42
Expert's post
joshoowa wrote:
Hello everyone,
First time poster here just wanted to ask you how to solve this question quicker than the way I just did.

Provided info: Given the small circle has radius of 3, what is the area of the shaded region?

The triangle inscribed in smaller circle is split into 3 isosceles triangles with 2 sides equaling 3.
Using the formula x : x : xsqrt2
You get the side of the inscribed triangle is 3sqrt2

Once you have that you can find the area of the equilateral triangle by splitting it into 2 right triangles and using the pythagorean theorem.
Where x = height
((3sqrt2)/2)^2 + x^2 = (3sqrt2)2^2
18/4 + x^2 = 18
9/2 + x^2 = 18
subtract the 9/2
x^2 = 18 - 4.5 = 13.5
x=sqrt13.5

Then you find the area of the triangle by formula (b*h)/2
3sqrt2*sqrt13.5 = 3sqrt27 = 9sqrt3
lastly divide by 2 = 4.5sqrt3
A=4.5sqrt3

Now you know the area of the original smaller triangle.

The area of the smaller circle using A=pi r^2 = 9pi

Now given the ratio of the larger triangle to the smaller triangle 4x
You can find the area of the shaded region of the top part by using the two answers above and divide by 3.

4(4.5sqrt3) - 9pi
(18sqrt3 - 9pi)/3

6sqrt3 -3pi

Since the smaller triangle is 1/4 to the larger triangle, we know the larger circle will be 36pi and we already know the area of the larger triangle = 18sqrt3
So in knowing that we can determine the larger shaded region (at the bottom) by subtracting the area of the larger circle by the larger triangle and then divide it all by 3
(36pi - 18srqt3) / 3
which equals
12pi - 6sqrt3

then we add both shaded areas
6sqrt3 -3pi + 12pi - 6sqrt3

9pi

Can someone tell me if my math is correct and how can you solve this question in under ~2mins?

It's good to understand the relations between circles and inscribed polygons. Check these two posts:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/07 ... relations/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/07 ... other-way/

When a circle is inscribed in an equilateral triangle, Side of the triangle = 2\sqrt{3} * Radius of the circle
Side of the larger triangle = 2\sqrt{3} * Radius of the smaller circle = 2\sqrt{3} * 3 = 6\sqrt{3}

When an equilateral triangle is inscribed in a circle, Side of the triangle = \sqrt{3} * Radius of the circle
Side of the larger triangle = \sqrt{3} *Radius of the larger circle
6\sqrt{3} = \sqrt{3} * Radius of larger circle
Radius of larger circle = 6

Area of the top shaded region = (Area of larger triangle - Area of smaller circle)/3
Area of the lower shaded region = (Area of larger circle - Area of larger triangle)/3

Total shaded area = (Area of larger circle - Area of smaller circle)/3 =(\pi*6^2 - \pi* 3^2)/3 = 9\pi

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: What is the area of the shaded region?   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2014, 22:42