Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 07:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the best advice for me?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Waaayyy....in the future - Booth!!
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 14

Re: What is the best advice for me? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 14:27
Looking back at my posts now I can exactly pin point the things that I did wrong!!

1)I jumped right into GMAT preparation without even gathering proper study materials and without having any plan at all.I just collected whatever I could from the local libraries and studied whichever book seemed interesting to me.I should have assessed where I am 1st, then make a plan, and gather the stuff that I really needed.I initially didn't even buy the official guide till bout a month before the exam.

2)I got way too much stressed out and worried more than I actually needed to.GMAT is not a tiger that you would be caged in with to fight.But I acted like it is a tiger.Its just a test!!!!!!!!!!

3)Overall, I took exactly 2 and a half months to study and I totally wasted one whole month at the beginning.I was very poor at time management.

4)All the people who scored above 700, I read all of their experiences and took it as a bible.But I failed to understand that every person has his very own formula.What worked for someone else might not work for me.

After the exam I really thought that I would see about 370 to 400 on the screen.But when I saw 510, (I was delighted, yes,)but I also thought that - .....I could have done better!!

Well, my goal is just to get into school and I cant spend 250$ all over again, so I should move on...

But, I think someday, I would probably give this exam again...The overall experience wasn't so bad at all!!!And I can totally understand now why people even after getting like 770 try for a 790 or 800 again!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Re: What is the best advice for me? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 09:06
Just received my official scores. Got 5 in AWA....What does that mean and how can I use this score to try to get into a better school?It did not raise my overall score or anything!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 18

Re: What is the best advice for me? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 10:58
AWA is reported separately, it does not have any impact on your overall score. I think universities don't pay a lot of attention to the AWA score though a very low score (i.e. sub 4.0) might raise some questions about your ability to write proper English.

While 5.0 is a good score (congrats!) I'd doubt that it has a positive impact on your chances of admission to a better ranked school.
Manager
Manager

Re: What is the best advice for me? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 11:32
How about program wise? I'm considering about getting into a Masters program on one specific area of business rather than going for an MBA.There are lots of fields out there like Accounting, Finance, Economics, MIS etc that accept a GMAT score. Does any particular field of study pay attention more on AWA scores compared to the quantitative and verbal scores?

And by judging from the current trends in the job market, how much more is MBA preferable than a Masters degree in one particular field of study?
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 51

Re: What is the best advice for me? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 21:46
@neemo i read all your posts :D thats quite a journey :D .

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager

Re: What is the best advice for me? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 23:36
Thanks, but its really just the beginning of a journey.
Manager
Manager

Re: What is the best advice for me? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 23:49
"Recommended GMAT 600,
Average GMAT 620"....this sounds like a pretty bad informal rejection, doesn't it? By the way, I will retake GMAT sometime in 2012, just to prove that I can!!! But really need to get enrolled somewhere in the meantime or, get a job!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 14

Re: What is the best advice for me? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2011, 17:50
This post received
KUDOS
Planning to get into the MS in Economics program as a part time student while working full time. I still intend to sit for the GMAT exam again sometime next year.

Cant wait to begin this journey ahead and I hope I can make it.
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 66

Re: What is the best advice for me? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2011, 00:32
msneemo wrote:
Planning to get into the MS in Economics program as a part time student while working full time. I still intend to sit for the GMAT exam again sometime next year.

Cant wait to begin this journey ahead and I hope I can make it.

:D

All the best!

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Manager
Manager

Re: What is the best advice for me? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 00:36
I am thinking about restarting my preparation for my next GMAT exam. Have not decided on a date yet. Deciding on a good study plan. Anyone has any good suggestion about it? I cannot put more than one hour everyday right now for GMAT. But I am trying to plan out a long term steady study plan.Want to sit for the exam sometime next June of 2012 (hopefully).
Re: What is the best advice for me?   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2011, 00:36