Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the best diagnostic to take?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 6

What is the best diagnostic to take? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 10:40
I don't want to "waste" a GMATprep CAT, but what are your thoughts? I want to do one to see where I am and then decide on my study materials and focus from there.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: What is the best diagnostic to take? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 10:54
hmm well you cant beat that for authenticity. but you could try others if you dont want to "waste" it such as Manhattan Gmat Test which are fairly accurate too.
Current Student
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 1

Re: What is the best diagnostic to take? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 12:13
imo, mgmat is tougher than the real gmat and will not give an accurate read on how well you'll do - at least it didn't for me. i averaged around 660 on my mgmat exams, 720 on the gmac cats and ended up getting a 760. the whole time i was studying, i felt pretty miserable that i wasn't improving. if i had to do it over, i'd have taken a gmac exam as a diagnostic and not saved them both til the very end.

http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: What is the best diagnostic to take? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 12:43
peaceyall wrote:
imo, mgmat is tougher than the real gmat and will not give an accurate read on how well you'll do - at least it didn't for me. i averaged around 660 on my mgmat exams, 720 on the gmac cats and ended up getting a 760. the whole time i was studying, i felt pretty miserable that i wasn't improving. if i had to do it over, i'd have taken a gmac exam as a diagnostic and not saved them both til the very end.

Nice..I have taken 3 MGMAT CATs...580,590, 600..improving but I am targeting at least a 650....sort of feeling a little miserable also..hopefully, like you, my scores are not reflecting my current level....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 6

Re: What is the best diagnostic to take? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 12:46
OK well after doing a little more research I may just use a GmatPrep test for a diag, & then re-do them multiple times throughout my studies.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: What is the best diagnostic to take? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 13:40
topher wrote:
OK well after doing a little more research I may just use a GmatPrep test for a diag, & then re-do them multiple times throughout my studies.

PR has a free CAT...you could use that to get some idea.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: What is the best diagnostic to take? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 14:21
topher wrote:

Taking a GMATPrep as a diagnotic exam is unlikely to be wasteful, because you will probably never test at that level again. If your first diagnostic is in the 550-650 range, but you later improve to the 650-700 range, you will be tested on a whole new set of questions.

MGMAT tests are not very representative of the real exam, but their composite scores seems to be fairly accurate.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: What is the best diagnostic to take?   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2009, 14:21