Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the best Maths theory book?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

What is the best Maths theory book? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2009, 06:11
Hi all,

I just have the OG11 and the maths explanations are decent but sometime I'm stuck on simple problems just because I don't know the theory - like what happens to a power when you square it or divide, etc

Which is the best book for this kind of stuff? I'm not really interested in good practice questions - focus should be the theory behind the question

I was thinking of MGMAT but there are 3 or 4 separate book afaik
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9447 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What is the best Maths theory book? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 19:35
Expert's post
jacket882 wrote:
Hi all,

I just have the OG11 and the maths explanations are decent but sometime I'm stuck on simple problems just because I don't know the theory - like what happens to a power when you square it or divide, etc

Which is the best book for this kind of stuff? I'm not really interested in good practice questions - focus should be the theory behind the question

I was thinking of MGMAT but there are 3 or 4 separate book afaik

You are absolutely on the right track - get a book that covers math concepts, not tricks or strategies for test taking. Many confuse the two and you can't get into the strategy without having a good understanding of fundamentals.

I have used Kaplan Math Workbook and it was very useful and not too into the weeds. The ony disadvantages were lack of probability or combinations problems.
Also, the book by Cliff's is recommended by a few people - it has solid 41 reviews and 5 stars on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/082202 ... 0822020335

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: What is the best Maths theory book? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 23:45
Kaplan's math workbook.
Manhattan GMAT maths guides.
Manhattan review maths workbook and solutions guide.
EZ Solutions set of 9 guides .
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: What is the best Maths theory book? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 02:06
I think maths theory is better explained in Manhattan GMAT maths guides.
You can go for it.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9447 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What is the best Maths theory book? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2009, 15:14
Expert's post
See this thread for details: best-gmat-math-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-77291.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: What is the best Maths theory book? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 07:42
There is also quality content on youtube for basic math. It won't cover everything, but it's a great break from reading the books and you can watch them on the go or whenever you have little free time.

I've found Khan Academy to be the best. They have playlists for each topic. And there are current events covered as well!
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kha ... =playlists
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: What is the best Maths theory book? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2009, 08:02
My suggestion will be to try the 5 books from Manhattan (MGMAT Guides), I have tried Geometry, VICs, Words..they are really good and helps in brusing up the basics
Re: What is the best Maths theory book?   [#permalink] 05 May 2009, 08:02