Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the best strategy to approach DS questions? As many

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

What is the best strategy to approach DS questions? As many [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 05:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
What is the best strategy to approach DS questions? As many have gone through it, the question itself looks simple to solve but more & more I get in to it I seem to get more incorrect answers.

Any good reference to study basics here other than math basics.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best strategy to approach DS [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 05:53
Of course you have to take the statements separately. This is easier said than done. In practice, I've actually held up a piece of paper over the computer screen to cover the statement I'm not working on.

It would also help for you to create an error log so you can figure out what specifically about DS questions trip you up.

Is it that you're answer B, that the 2nd choice is sufficient but using information from statement 1 to make it sufficient so the correct answer is C?

Are you answering that one is sufficient while the other is not, but then there are cases that make the answer not true. Somtimes the question might have variables x & y. We grab 2 numbers to see if those numbers work for an equation in the stem and the equation given in a statement. If those numbers work, we have to keep trying to find numbers that do not work so we can say with certainty that #1 is or is not sufficient.

The structure of DS is a difficult way to approach a math problem because you're not actually answering a math problem. You're using math to answer a completely different question. The qusetion is testing your ability to recognize what information is necessary to solve a problem and then filter out the information given to you and seeing if you have enough. They may use math to figure it out, but it's problem solving and analysis with math as the means rather than the end.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best strategy to approach DS [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 13:44
DS problems come in very different flavours, but one thing applies to them all. Try to reduce the question into very very simple terms even before you start looking at the data. Then look at the data and before you put pen to paper, try to think of it logically. Often you will find that some statements will obviously won't be sufficient.

eg a very simple question could be

is x^2 > y

1) y = 5

2) x=3-y

you can see is 1) by itself is insufficient because no data for x is given.
Re: Best strategy to approach DS   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2008, 13:44