Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 09:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the best time to appear for GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
What is the best time to appear for GMAT? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 00:14
Hi,

Can any one please tell me what is the best time to appear for the gmat, by time i mean the month. Keeping in mind that i have to start applying for US , UK and Singapore schools for 2012.

I am looking forward to apply in R1 for all the schools.

Regards,
Zuber
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the best time to appear for GMAT? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
I would say the best time is a week before the applications come out (so some time in July). This way you would maximize your application time. Although if you feel you aren't ready pushing applications to round 2 isn't going to hurt your chances as opposed to getting a low score on the GMAT.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: What is the best time to appear for GMAT? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 13:56
This post received
KUDOS
GMAT scores are good for 5 years so there's no reason to wait, plus you want to give yourself time to retake it if you don't get the score you want. If I was in your situation I would start my 2-3 months of serious prep now and plan on taking it in June or July. That way you could retake it in mid/late-August if necessary and still have over a month to devote to your R1 applications. Essays will be nerve-wracking enough by themselves--you don't want to be juggling GMAT prep with essay writing.

Then again an exact answer all depends on what score you're shooting for, how close you currently are to it, how much time per day/week you'll be able to study, when you'd be available to take the GMAT, what the R1 deadlines are for your particular schools, etc.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the best time to appear for GMAT? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 17:15
This post received
KUDOS
You can optimize it based on your exact application deadlines,there are 2 approaches: either you want to do it really early and keep giving the test repeatedly, if you are willing to spend the money and energy, that is, till you get your desired score. It may happen that you are really good the first time and so then GMAT is out of your way and you focus on other aspects of the application. Other approach is to decide, no matter what the score is, you are giving it only once and then give it just before the deadline and apply with whatever score you get, this way you are giving yourself more time starting today as for most schools R1 deadline is in sept. For example my gmat is in first week of sept, I am applying to only 3 part-time programs in bay area for fall 2012. The R1 deadlines for these are in november. So, I may want to give the gmat again if my score is not to the mark. But then it will conflict with the preparation of essays, which are a lot if you apply to 3 schools.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: What is the best time to appear for GMAT?   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2011, 17:15