Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 22:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the best way to go from 42V to 45V+?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

What is the best way to go from 42V to 45V+? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 12:57
I am a native English speaker and scored a 42V on the GMAT last Friday. In GMATPrep, I either missed one RC or got 100% correct every time. I usually missed an equal number of SC and CR. I have gone through the MGMAT books. Are there any general suggestions anyone could offer?

On a side note, I really do admire those of you who are foreigners, yet are still able to score high on verbal. I am not sure if I could do that if I were not a native English speaker.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 464 [1] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: What is the best way to go from 42V to 45V+? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In my experience, one's verbal performance needs to be almost perfect for a very high score. I suggest rereading your SC and CR guidebooks multiple times and reinforcing those concepts with question practice. You also need to be proactive on the forums; answer as many questions as possible here and fully explain your answer choices. You currently have 17 posts. Try to devote 100 or 200 posts to answering verbal questions. And for question review, fully read every explanation, even if you answer a question correctly.

Another issue concerns test strategy. Many feel mentally drained by the time they reach the verbal section - especially toward the end. Make sure to take all of the allotted breaks, stretch, splash water on your face, and eat something.

The formula for success might seem simple, but it requires a lot of effort. Your verbal score of 42V is excellent, so it's certainly possible for you to reach your new goal. But don't forget the math section! There's room to improve there as well.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: What is the best way to go from 42V to 45V+? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 08:58
I fully agree about quantitative. In my own defense, I was scoring 48-49 on GMATPrep, but had a lot of anxiety during the actual GMAT. I will work on that.

I will also start getting more involved in GMATClub. I will also re-read MGMAT SC and start looking at PowerScore CR. Thank you for the advice.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Re: What is the best way to go from 42V to 45V+?   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2012, 08:58