Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the equation of a line perpendicular to lines

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 67

What is the equation of a line perpendicular to lines [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 14:52
Y = 2x + 5
and Y = 2X - 10

I just want get my concept cleared, this question is framed by myself from an explanation of a question.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: What is the equation of a line perpendicular to lines [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 23:14
It is not very difficult. Just note that slope of the line is how inclined it is with respect to the x axis.

For instance, if we have 2 coordinates: (x1,y1) and (x2,y2), we can calculate the slope(gradient) as follows:

(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

Slope of a line is denoted by m. You can look at the line equation:

y= mx+c.

Here m is the slope and c is the y intercept or where the line cuts the y axis. In your example, just substitute x=0 in the equation and solve for y.

I do not want to go into details, but the product of the slopes of two perpendicular lines must equal -1.

So for your equation: y=2x+5

slope of this line is 2. Therefore any perpendicular line will have the slope as -1/2 since the product of 2 and -1/2 is -1.

Therefore the perpendicular will take the form: y= (-1/2)x +k, where k is the y intercept of the perpendicular line...
Current Student

Re: What is the equation of a line perpendicular to lines [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 01:40
seriousmonkey wrote:
It is not very difficult. Just note that slope of the line is how inclined it is with respect to the x axis.

For instance, if we have 2 coordinates: (x1,y1) and (x2,y2), we can calculate the slope(gradient) as follows:

(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

Slope of a line is denoted by m. You can look at the line equation:

y= mx+c.

Here m is the slope and c is the y intercept or where the line cuts the y axis. In your example, just substitute x=0 in the equation and solve for y.

I do not want to go into details, but the product of the slopes of two perpendicular lines must equal -1.

So for your equation: y=2x+5

slope of this line is 2. Therefore any perpendicular line will have the slope as -1/2 since the product of 2 and -1/2 is -1.

Therefore the perpendicular will take the form: y= (-1/2)x +k, where k is the y intercept of the perpendicular line...

My doubt is really a basic one

I also solved till slope but know the y intercept can have two different values as you see we have two different equations... so we can have two different equations for the same line.... Is it possible?
Intern
Intern

Re: What is the equation of a line perpendicular to lines [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 03:35
No, you can't have two equations for the same line (unless you multiply by different non-zero constants on both sides- but it boils down to the same thing really)

the two equations you gave are parallel lines: they have the same slope but they cut the y axis and x axis at different points.
Current Student

Re: What is the equation of a line perpendicular to lines [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 14:39
Archit143 wrote:
Y = 2x + 5
and Y = 2X - 10

I just want get my concept cleared, this question is framed by myself from an explanation of a question.

Kkk

the slope for the perpendicular line will be -1/2
and y intercept from Y = 2x + 5 will be 5 hence equation that follows from it is Y = -1/2X + 5

and Y intercept from y = 2x - 10 will be -10 hence the equation that follows from it Y = -1/2 X - 10

The two eqns are of the perpendicular lines

hence which one to take as final answer or both can b correct answer.
Intern
Intern

Re: What is the equation of a line perpendicular to lines [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 19:18
Firstly, there can be an infinite number of perpendicular lines to the two equations you posted. You will need some other condition to pin-point the line you need to get the answer( such as "the perpendicular line passes through a point" or something). So that is why I posted y= -1/2*x +k, because we can have any value of k and it will be perpendicular to the straight lines you posted (try plotting the lines and draw perpendicular lines- you will find you can draw many)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 44

Re: What is the equation of a line perpendicular to lines [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 21:56
seriousmonkey wrote:
Firstly, there can be an infinite number of perpendicular lines to the two equations you posted. You will need some other condition to pin-point the line you need to get the answer( such as "the perpendicular line passes through a point" or something). So that is why I posted y= -1/2*x +k, because we can have any value of k and it will be perpendicular to the straight lines you posted (try plotting the lines and draw perpendicular lines- you will find you can draw many)

Hey thanks dude..
I was looking for similar thing..

I have another doubt...
ways to find a equation of perpendicular line y=mx+k...
such as:
1) one point and one equation of line (y=2x-5) or
2) one point and one slope of another line (m=2)

Is there any way to find this equation of perpendicular line?

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3607

Kudos [?]: 28758 [0], given: 2846

Re: What is the equation of a line perpendicular to lines [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 03:26
Expert's post
shanmugamgsn wrote:
seriousmonkey wrote:

Hey thanks dude..
I was looking for similar thing..

I have another doubt...
ways to find a equation of perpendicular line y=mx+k...
such as:
1) one point and one equation of line (y=2x-5) or
2) one point and one slope of another line (m=2)

Is there any way to find this equation of perpendicular line?

Check here: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: What is the equation of a line perpendicular to lines   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2012, 03:26