Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 18:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the equation of the line that is perpendicular to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
What is the equation of the line that is perpendicular to [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 01:42
What is the equation of the line that is perpendicular to line y = 2x and passes through point (a, b)?

1. a = -b
2. a - b = 1
SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate geometry [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 01:50
C.

Equation of line that is perpendicular to y = 2x will be y = (-1/2)x + c where c is a variable constant.

Now, if the line passes through (a,b) then b = -(a/2) + c or c = b + a/2

From 1. a = -b. Hence, c = b/2
From 2, a = b + 1 and hence c = b + b/2 + 1/2 = (3b+1)/2

Combining both, b = 3b + 1 or b = -(1/2) and equation of line will be y = -(1/2)x -1/4
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate geometry [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 03:23
C for me, too.

Statement 1 and Statement 2 separately give an infinite number of solutions. Solving the two statements together gives you a unique solution for a and b, so you have the point (a;b). You know the line is perpendicular to y=2x and there is only one way to draw a perpendicular to a line from any given point.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate geometry [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 06:47
arjtryarjtry wrote:
What is the equation of the line that is perpendicular to line y = 2x and passes through point (a, b)?

1. a = -b
2. a - b = 1

I really think that the answer should be A. Because when a = -b, it means that (-b,b). So let's say that b=5, doesn't matter whether b is positive or negative because you will still end up drawing the same line. Well, what will be its y intercept? well if b is zero, then both x and y will be zero, hence, the y intercept is at the origin. So you're gonna end up drawing the same straight line, so you can make an equation out of it.

what's the OA to this problem?

My answer is A
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate geometry [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 07:11
tarek99 wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:

1. a = -b
2. a - b = 1

I really think that the answer should be A. Because when a = -b, it means that (-b,b). So let's say that b=5, doesn't matter whether b is positive or negative because you will still end up drawing the same line. Well, what will be its y intercept? well if b is zero, then both x and y will be zero, hence, the y intercept is at the origin. So you're gonna end up drawing the same straight line, so you can make an equation out of it.

My answer is A

Tarek,

please note that a and b are not variables... How can you say that b is zero ..?
y=-1/2x+c
a=-b
b=1/2b+c
b=2c
From 1: you know that b=2c a=-b.
there can be infinite number of solutions from this relation. and passing through (0,0) one of that solutions

I hope this is clear now.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate geometry [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 07:39
x2suresh wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:

1. a = -b
2. a - b = 1

My answer is A

Tarek,

please note that a and b are not variables... How can you say that b is zero ..?
y=-1/2x+c
a=-b
b=1/2b+c
b=2c
there can be infinite number of solutions from this relation. and passing through (0,0) one of that solutions

I didn't say that b is for sure zero. All I said that no matter what the value of b is, even if it is zero, we would still be drawing the same line, no? for example, (-1,1), (0,0), (5,-5), EVEN if it is (-10, 10), wouldn't all these points fall on the same line? and we already have the perpendicular slope of -1/2, so what's wrong with this reasoning? i'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with this reasoning and sorry for being persistent but i guess it's the best way to learn here...lol
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate geometry [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 08:06
tarek99 wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
Tarek,

y=-1/2x+c
a=-b
b=1/2b+c
b=2c

I didn't say that b is for sure zero. All I said that no matter what the value of b is, even if it is zero, we would still be drawing the same line, no? for example, (-1,1), (0,0), (5,-5), EVEN if it is (-10, 10), wouldn't all these points fall on the same line? and we already have the perpendicular slope of -1/2, so what's wrong with this reasoning? i'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with this reasoning and sorry for being persistent but i guess it's the best way to learn here...lol

No they are not the same. y intercept changes.. when "b" changes.
-a=b=2c
y=-1/2x+c
for (-1,1) y intercept 2
y=-1/2x+2 --> equation (1)
(0,0)
y=-1/2x --> equation (2)
for (5,-5)
y=-1/2x+c --> -5=-1/2*5+c= -5/2
y=-1/2x+-5/2 -----> equation (3)

Does equations (1),(2) and (3) are same????
No.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate geometry [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 08:44
x2suresh wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
Tarek,

y=-1/2x+c
a=-b
b=1/2b+c
b=2c

No they are not the same. y intercept changes.. when "b" changes.
-a=b=2c
y=-1/2x+c
for (-1,1) y intercept 2
y=-1/2x+2 --> equation (1)
(0,0)
y=-1/2x --> equation (2)
for (5,-5)
y=-1/2x+c --> -5=-1/2*5+c= -5/2
y=-1/2x+-5/2 -----> equation (3)

Does equations (1),(2) and (3) are same????
No.

oh perfect! now i see where i went wrong. Thank you so much for the great explanation.
Re: coordinate geometry   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2008, 08:44